Get 5 Secrets to Make Homemade Taste Food Better + New Recipes Weekly!
Published September 30, 2020. This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
These easy-to-make delicious ham and cheese sliders are the ultimate party get-together recipe for your guests.
We are always entertaining and having friends and family over, especially during sports seasons. If you love hosting and are in need of some great food ideas then for sure check out my Buffalo wings recipe or BLT dip.
Ham and Cheese Sliders
The ham and cheese sandwich seems to have been around forever, and if you take a look closer it’s actually a relative of the French Croque Monsieur. It’s this wonderful combination of salty, umami, and creaminess from the cheese that makes it a perfect match. While this sandwich has been enjoyed for decades, it also makes a great slider just like in this recipe, especially if you’re serving a crowd.
What Kind of Bun to Use
Choosing a bun for these sliders is entirely up to you, however, here are my favorites:
- Dinner Rolls
- Poppy Seed
How to Make It
Follow these simple instructions to make these amazing ham and cheese sliders:
Caramelize some sliced red onions in a large sauté pan over low heat and finish with a hint of balsamic vinegar and set aside.
In a small bowl whisk together some melted unsalted butter, grainy Dijon mustard, finely minced garlic, chopped fresh thyme, and Worcestershire sauce until combined.
Evenly sprinkle on ½ of the amount of shredded gruyere cheese to the bottom of the buns.
Add thick-cut sliced ham over the top of the gruyere cheese and then sprinkle on the remaining ½ of shredded gruyere cheese.
Place the bacon on top of the cheese and then add on the caramelized balsamic onions.
Put the tops of the buns on and then generously brush on the herb-mustard butter and bake covered in foil at 350° for 20 minutes. Uncover the sliders and bake for an additional 3 minutes before garnishing with chopped parsley and serving.
How to Keep Them From Getting Soggy?
There are a few things you can do to avoid soggy bread when making ham and cheese sliders including:
- Toast the buns first before adding on ingredients by quickly cooking each ½ under the broiler until toasted.
- Choose a firmer bun that can handle moisture-filled ingredients.
- Put the cheese down onto the bottom bun first to create a barrier between the bun and moisture-filled ingredients.
Make-Ahead and Storage
Make-Ahead: These are best eaten right from the oven but can prep them up to 1 day ahead of time and keep them covered in the refrigerator until ready to bake and serve.
How to Store: Keep covered in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. These will not freeze well.
How to Reheat: Place them on a pan and cover them in foil and bake in the oven at 350° for 8-10 minutes or until hot. Likewise, you can heat it in the microwave until hot.
chef notes + tips
- I usually like to figure 2 sliders per person.
More Party Recipes
Be sure to follow me on Facebook, YouTube, Instagram, and Pinterest, and if you’ve had a chance to make this then definitely drop me a comment and a rating below!
The Ultimate Ham and Cheese Sliders Recipe
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 peeled and thinly sliced red onion
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 6 tablespoons melted unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons grainy Dijon mustard
- 2 finely minced cloves of garlic
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
- 1 ½ tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 20 sweet rolls cut in half
- 1 pound shredded gruyere cheese
- 1 pound thick-cut sliced ham
- 1 pound crisp-cooked thick-cut bacon
- 1/3 cup fig jam
- Preheat the oven to 350°.
- Add the butter to a medium-size sauté pan over low heat and cook the onions until well caramelized, about 35 minutes.
- Finish the onions by stirring in the balsamic vinegar until combined and set aside.
- In a medium-size bowl mix together the melted butter, Dijon mustard, garlic, thyme, and Worcestershire sauce until combined. Set aside.
- To Plate: Place the buns onto a cookie sheet tray lined with parchment paper.
- Evenly add ½ of the shredded cheese to the bottom buns. Next evenly layer on with the ham, remaining ½ of the shredded cheese, bacon, and caramelized balsamic onions.
- Evenly spread the fig jam on the bottom of the top bun and then place them over top of the ham and cheese sliders.
- Generously brush the herb-mustard butter over the top buns and completely cover in foil.
- Bake at 350° for 20 minutes and then remove the foil. Bake uncovered for a further 3 minutes.
- Sprinkle on optional chopped parsley garnish.
- Make-Ahead: These are best eaten right from the oven but can prep them up to 1 day ahead of time and keep them covered in the refrigerator until ready to bake and serve.
- How to Store: Keep covered in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. These will not freeze well.
- How to Reheat: Place them on a pan and cover in foil and bake in the oven at 350° for 8-10 minutes or until hot. Likewise, you can heat in the microwave until hot.
- I usually like to figure 2 sliders per person.
I made these for lunch today-these sandwiches are amazing!!! I love the addition of fig jam! I will definitely be making these again!!
thanks for giving it a shot!!
Absolutely loved these sliders!
Worth the effort ( I even went to a specialty shop for the fig preserves )
Savory and sweet!
Though I must say I used yellow mustard instead of Dijon. It was DElisOUS!
Thank you so much for sharing this amazing recipe and Omeprazole.
I’m a pharmacist! Thank you for your advice.
I loved this recipe very much and I’ll try it.