Fire up the fryer, turn on the game, and learn how to make the best buffalo wings recipe of all time!
This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of Mirum. The opinions and text are all mine.
During any sports season these just seem to always be on the menu. They’re easy to make, always delicious and perfect for feeding a crowd. The combination of the brine and homemade sauce makes for one of the best appetizer recipes around.
These are a must make for any party or sporting get together. I also like to serve them up with some of my other favorite appetizer recipes like Beer Cheese Dip, Al Pastor Nachos, and BBQ Chicken Sliders.
Why Are They Called Buffalo Wings
They were founded in the Anchor Bar in 1964 where the wife of a restaurant owner in Buffalo, New York thought it would be cool to serve up some fried chicken with hot sauce.
To secret to really flavorful tender wings is bringing them and letting them brine overnight or for at least 12 hours, just like I do in my Best Ever Fried Chicken Recipe.
- Add wings to a plastic bag or container.
- Add in pickle juice and butter milk and marinate overnight.
How Do I Get Them Crispy
The trick to getting them crispy is by breading them in flour. This will ensure the outside of each piece is incredibly browned and crispy.
The sauce is the main driver to tasty buffalo wings since it is so strong in flavor as well as the outside coating to them. Here are the ingredients that are heated and mixed together in a pot:
- Red Hot Sauce
- Distilled Vinegar
- Garlic Powder
- Onion Powder
- Worcestershire Sauce
- Unsalted butter
If you suffer from frequent heartburn, then you already know that most of these ingredients can trigger your symptoms.
How To Reduce Heartburn Symptoms When Eating Wings
If you’re combatting heartburn 2 or more days per week, a 14-day course Omeprazole Orally Disintegrating Tablets (ODT) of can help you enjoy the big game and life in general during those long stretches of eating spicier, fried foods like the summertime or football season. It’s such a huge help to me, especially being a chef.
While I’m busy in the kitchen trying to prep food to enjoy during the game, the last thing I want to think about is remembering to take a pill and drinking a glass of water. Now there’s a better way to treat your heartburn and I’m a big fan because it means I never have to miss out!
Omeprazole ODT is a convenient, strawberry-flavored dissolving tablet that melts right on your tongue, no water needed, and provides 24-hour relief from heartburn. It treats the same symptoms at Prilosec OTC and works just like store brand Omeprazole pills, but the dissolving tablet goes down easier and since it’s the store brand, it’s also more affordable.
Just take 1 dose every 24 hours for 14 days to finish the course of treatment. Omeprazole ODT is not intended for immediate relief and may take 1-4 days to feel the full effect. You should not take Omeprazole ODT for more than 14 days or more often than every four months unless directed by your doctor.
I’ve suffered with heartburn for most of my adult life. To go even a step further, my dad and I always joke that we were born with it because we’re Italian and tomatoes, which can cause heartburn, seem to be in everything we cook and eat. Thanks to Omeprazole ODT, I can now go to a sporting event get-together with all those delicious foods and not think twice about what I’m eating because it may affect me later. Amazing that this works so well!
How To Make Them
Here is a quick overview on how to make my buffalo wings recipe.
- Transfer the wings to the flour and coat them.
- Place them in the basket of a deep fryer and fry at 350° for 7-8 minutes.
- Add them to a bowl with the sauce and toss to coat.
- Serve with ranch, blue cheese, extra sauce, celery and carrots
Chef Note: Be sure to move your fryer basked around after 2-3 minutes to ensure they are not sticking to each other or use tongs to break up if they are frying on a pot on the stove top.
Why Are They Served With Celery and Carrots
While there is no perfect reason as to why they are served up with celery and carrots, my wild educated culinary guess is that they are contrast in flavor and texture. They’re crunchy and also offer up a cooling flavor to help with the heat of the sauce from the chicken.
What Can I make With Buffalo Wings
Just like any get-together, they can be served up with any party-style foods such as:
The Best Buffalo Wings Recipe
For the Wings:
- 3 pounds chicken wings
- 2 cups pickle juice
- 2 cups buttermilk
- frying oil
- 2 cups flour
For the Sauce:
- 1 ½ cups red hot sauce
- ¼ cup distilled vinegar
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 stick unsalted butter
- celery sticks
- carrot stick
- blue cheese dressing
- ranch dressing
- Add the chicken, pickle juice and buttermilk to a plastic zip bag. Close the bag and mix until combined and brine in the refrigerator overnight or for at least 12 hours.
- Preheat your frying oil in a large pot or deep fryer to 350°F.
- Add the flour to a large pan or casserole dish.
- Remove the wings from the brine and place into the flour and thoroughly mix until they are completely coated.
- Transfer the wings to the oil and cook for 7-8 minutes or until golden brown and cooked throughout. Note: You will most likely need to do these in batches so that they cook without sticking. Keep warm.
- Sauce: Combine all ingredients into a medium size pot and cook over low heat until the butter is melted.
- Transfer the hot sauce and wings to a large bowl and toss to coat.
- Serve with optional dippers and sauces.
- Make Ahead: You can make these up to 1 hour ahead of time before serving by keeping them hot on a rack over a sheet tray and in the oven at 275°F.
- How to Reheat: Place them on a rack over a sheet tray and bake in the oven at 350°F for 8-10 minutes or until hot. Likewise, you can heat on a microwave safe plate in the microwave until hot.
- How to Store: Cover them and place them in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
- How to Freeze: I do not recommend freezing, but if you must, cover them and keep them in the freezer for up to 2 months. In addition, do not sauce them if you decide to freeze them. Thaw for 1 day in the refrigerator before reheating.