Get 5 Secrets to Make Homemade Taste Food Better + New Recipes Weekly!
Published June 18, 2021. This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
These simple classic deviled eggs are incredibly easy to make and absolutely are the perfect appetizer at any get-together.
No matter where we eat out, we always have to try some appetizers. These fantastic little meal starters are such a great way to introduce the main course. If you are looking for some new ideas then definitely try my crab cakes recipe or my queso fundido.
Deviled eggs are an American staple at any backyard party. They became popularized during and after WWII as appetizers at small gatherings. Believe it or not, deviled eggs were created in ancient Rome where they would boil eggs and then served with different spicy sauces. Just about every country in the world has its own version of these tasty appetizers, but this recipe is specific to the classic deviled eggs we know and love in the United States.
While there are some variations to deviled eggs, there are some common ingredients including:
How to Make Deviled Eggs
Follow these simple instructions to make deviled eggs from scratch:
Slice the hard-boiled eggs in half and place the whites on your serving dish and the yolks into a medium-size bowl.
Mash the yolks with a fork until they resemble a small crumble.
Add the mayonnaise, mustard, vinegar, salt, and pepper to the bowl with the mashed yolks and mix until well combined with a spoon or whisk.
Divide the yolk mixture evenly between the egg whites by spooning or piping the mixture into them.
Garnish with paprika, dill, or chives.
Make-Ahead and Storage
Make-Ahead: You can make these up to 1 day ahead of time.
How to Store: Cover and keep refrigerated for up to 4 days. These will not freeze well.
Recipe Chef Notes + Tips
- You can also add flavor enhancers like Dijon mustard or hot sauce.
- Be sure your yolks are all the way cooked through.
- Try finely grating the yolk on a Microplane if you want it to be perfectly smooth.
- You can get creative and add in any other additional things such as different cheeses, oils, or other mashed ingredients.
- For quick results add the entire yolk filling ingredients to a food processor and process until smooth.
- Sub the mayonnaise for yogurt if you are trying to watch calories.
- You may need to slice a small part of the bottom of the egg whites to help balance them and stop them from rocking back and forth.
More Egg Recipes
Classic Deviled Eggs Recipe
- Slice the hard-boiled eggs in half longways and place the yolks in a medium-size bowl. Add the whites to a serving dish.
- Mash the yolks using a fork until it becomes a small crumble. Add in the mayonnaise, mustards, vinegar, hot sauce, salt, and pepper and mix well until combined and as smooth as possible.
- Evenly divide the yolk filling between the 12 egg white halves using a spoon or transferring it to a piping bag and pipe it into each egg white.
- Garnish with paprika, chopped fresh dill, or chives.
How to Store: Cover and keep refrigerated for up to 4 days. These will not freeze well. You can also add flavor enhancers like Dijon mustard or hot sauce. Be sure your yolks are all the way cooked through. Try finely grating the yolk on a Microplane if you want it to be perfectly smooth. You can get creative and add in any other additional things such as different cheeses, oils, or other mashed ingredients. Sub the mayonnaise for yogurt if you are trying to watch calories.