Get 5 Secrets to Make Homemade Taste Food Better + New Recipes Weekly!
Published March 10, 2017. This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Looking for a great appetizer? Spice up your get togethers with this tasty BBQ Chicken Sliders Recipe with Coleslaw and Pickles!
One of my absolute favorite times of the year is the first weekend of the men’s college basketball March Madness tournament. Usually a few of my friends take off that Thursday and Friday and we watch every basketball game of the first round while we slowly go into food comas and slip in and out of naps all day long… Honestly there is nothing more glorious. The food situation usually consists of everyone bringing a few things so we can graze from the morning all the way to the night. While my alma mater won’t make the tourney this year, I still plan on bringing the heat in the food department, so that’s why I created this recipe.
First off my daughter absolutely loves fried chicken plain and eaten as is, and I love putting it in and on as many things as possible just like in this Loaded Tater Tots Recipe.
You are going to be shocked at just how easy this recipe is to make. In fact, you can make it even easier if you purchase the premade coleslaw in the bag from the grocery store, but because I’m a bit of an overachiever and there just happens to be a “chef” in front of my name, I’m always going to take the next step. For a variation you could make this a little tangy with my vinegar coleslaw recipe.
Cooking the chicken is as simple as spreading them out on a sheet tray lined with parchment paper and baking them in the oven at 400° for 15 to 20 minutes or until they are cooked through. Once they are done you want to toss them around in your favorite BBQ sauce… Now, this can be your own recipe, store bought, whatever you prefer, but you do need to heat it up a bit to take the chill off it so it doesn’t make your chicken cold. You can seriously just pour it into a microwave safe bowl and heat it up for 1 minute.
As I said earlier, you can save time by buying the premade coleslaw mix from the grocery store, but if you are like me and love fresh slaw, then I’m pretty confident in guaranteeing that this may be your favorite coleslaw recipe. My wife seriously just eats it with a fork right out of the bowl it’s that good. I like to thinly shave the green and red cabbage on a mandolin slicer so that it is like paper thick. For some reason when everyday vegetables are cut or sliced slightly different they taste better, or maybe it’s just me? Regardless, I like it thin because I think if you’re putting coleslaw onto a sandwich it should be used to compliment not overpower.
I usually finish off the coleslaw with matchstick carrots, sliced green onions, cilantro and celery seed. The dressing is a simple blend of mayonnaise, red wine vinegar and sugar. The balance of acid and sweet in the dressing really compliment the savory ingredients in the coleslaw giving it an exceptional taste. Don’t forget to season it with salt and pepper!
Lastly, is plating up our BBQ Chicken Slider, which is incredibly easy. I placed some mozzarella cheese on the bottom part of a brioche roll and melted it under the broiler on low heat. You can torch the cheese, microwave it, anything you need to do to melt it. I then layered on the coleslaw, bread and butter pickles (yes you can use Kosher dill), the BBQ chicken and the top of the bun. WHOA!! You want to talk about a small bite that packs a serious punch, then these are for sure it. I’m super excited to share these with the fellas as I’m pretty confident they’re going to become obsessed. Here’s to lots of basketball watching this month!!
BBQ Chicken Sliders Recipe with Coleslaw and Pickles
- 1 bag of Tyson Any’Tizers Popcorn Chicken
- 1 cup of your favorite BBQ sauce, heated
- ½ thinly sliced head of green cabbage
- ¼ thinly sliced head of red cabbage
- 1 cup of matchstick carrots
- ¼ cup of sliced green onions
- ¼ cup of chopped fresh cilantro
- ½ teaspoon of celery seed
- 1/3 cup of mayonnaise
- 3 tablespoons of red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon of sugar
- 8 slices of mozzarella cut in half
- 32 bread and butter pickle slices
- 16 brioche rolls cut in half
- Kosher salt and fresh cracked pepper to taste
- Cook the chicken in the oven per its instructions and then toss them with the heated BBQ sauce in a bowl. Keep warm.
- Coleslaw: In a large bowl mix together the cabbages, carrots, green onions, cilantro, celery seed, mayonnaise, vinegar, sugar, and salt and pepper until completely combined. Chill before serving. Note there may be extra leftover which you can serve separately.
- To Plate: Evenly divide the cheese onto the bottom part of the 16 buns and melt in the oven under the broiler on low heat for 3 to 4 minutes or until melted and lightly browned. Next, add some coleslaw on top of the melted cheese followed by adding on a few pieces of BBQ chicken, pickles and the top of the bun. Repeat the process until the ingredients are gone