Get 5 Secrets to Make Homemade Taste Food Better + New Recipes Weekly!
Published February 26, 2023. This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Shrimp Spring Rolls Recipe with Peanut Dipping Sauce is a delicious, easy-to-make recipe with fresh vegetables, shrimp, and herbs for a tasty, healthy appetizer. These rolls are one of my all-time favorite things to eat.
Shrimp Spring Rolls
Shrimp spring rolls are fresh, delicate versions of egg rolls that consists of fresh vegetables, fruit, herbs, noodles, and protein that are wrapped in rice paper, as opposed to wonton, and fried. They are called spring rolls because they are traditionally served on the first day of the Chinese New Year in early spring.
These are very easy to make and can be completely customized to your liking. My shrimp spring roll recipe would be considered Vietnamese by nature because of the ingredients used and why it’s served cold. If you love fresh ingredients and complimenting flavors, these are the ultimate appetizer.
Ingredients and Substitutions
- Rice Paper – You will need sheets of rice paper which can be purchased from the Asian aisle at most grocery stores.
- Shrimp – Any size of shrimp will work for this recipe; it just needs to be parboiled and cooled completely. You can even buy them pre-cooked if you prefer.
- Vegetables – This portion is entirely up to you and what you like. However, I used cucumbers, carrots, bell peppers, cabbage, and green onions.
- Herbs – I like to use fresh cilantro leaves and stems for a hint of lemon-lime flavor.
- Noodles – You will need rice stick noodles for this recipe. While I prefer to use the thin angel hair-like noodles, feel free to use wider noodles.
- Sauce – My peanut sauce is perfect for dipping.
How to Make Shrimp Spring Rolls
Making these can be tricky because once the rice paper has softened, it is time sensitive. You simply place all the ingredients that you want to add into the roll right onto the softened rice paper and roll it up. If you’ve ever made a burrito, making these are the exact same process.
Add 1 sheet of rice paper to warm water and submerge until soft and pliable.
Place the rice paper down on a clean surface. Place a few shrimp, some cucumber, carrot, pepper, cabbage, green onions, cilantro leaves, and rice noodles to the center of the rice paper leaving about 1 inch to the left and the right of these ingredients.
Fold the leftover to the right as far as you can and, likewise, the right to the left. From there, roll up until tight. Repeat until all ingredients have been used. Hold in dampened paper towels.
Try serving it with my complimenting peanut butter sauce.
Make-Ahead and Storage
Make-Ahead: You could make these up to several hours ahead of time if they’re stored properly.
How to Store: If you keep all the ingredients separate and the rolls unassembled, the ingredients should last 5 to 7 days. If they are pre-rolled, place them in a pan and cover them in a damp paper towel and then wrap the pan in plastic wrap and keep it in the refrigerator for 3 to 4 days. These will not freeze well.
Chef Notes + Tips
- Other herbs you could add are chervil and basil.
- Feel free to get creative with additional items to add to the spring rolls, like red or green leaf lettuce, bean sprouts, mango, avocado, etc.
More Shrimp Recipes
Shrimp Spring Rolls Recipe
- 15 sheets of round rice paper
- 1 1/2 pound of cooked and cooled 16/20 shrimp
- 1 seeded julienne cucumber
- 1 peeled julienne carrot
- 1 seeded and julienne red bell pepper
- ½ finely shredded head of red cabbage
- 3 julienne green onions
- 1 cup of cilantro leaves
- 2 cups of cooked and cooled rice stick noodles mixed with 1 teaspoon of sambal
- 1 recipe for peanut sauce
- Add 1 sheet of rice paper to warm water (110° to 120°) in a pan and submerge until soft and pliable.
- Place the rice paper down on a clean surface.
- Place a few shrimp, some cucumber, carrot, pepper, cabbage, green onions, cilantro leaves, and rice noodles to the center of the rice paper leaving about 1 inch to the left and the right of these ingredients.
- Fold the leftover to the right as far as you can and likewise the right to the left. From there, roll up until tight.
- Repeat until all ingredients have been used.
- Serve with the peanut sauce or store them covered in dampened paper towels.