Get 5 Secrets to Make Homemade Taste Food Better + New Recipes Weekly!
Published June 6, 2023. This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
You will love the delicious flavors in my world-famous steak seasoning recipe that will take your grilled or pan-seared steaks to the next level. Take your cuts of meat from boring to incredible with this quick seasoning.
Steak seasoning is a simple blend of dry herbs and spices that are used to season a steak or cut of beef before cooking. There are a variety of recipes out there for steak seasoning with all types of flavor profiles. The most common one you’ve most likely heard of is Montreal steak seasoning. My recipe has a few of the same ingredients, but the flavor profile is hugely different.
The great thing about this recipe is that it can be completely customizable. If you like more spice, you can add more pepper or paprika. Perhaps garlic or onion is your thing, then please feel free to add a teaspoon or two more. You will also love that you most likely have most of these herbs and spices already in your pantry. I’m not trying to toot my own horn, but this steak seasoning really is delicious.
Ingredients You’ll Need
- Salt – I always use coarse sea salt in my cooking and baking.
- Pepper – Whole peppercorns are best to use. You can also use an assortment of red, pink, green, white, and black.
- Garlic – I prefer to use garlic granules.
- Coriander – Whole coriander seeds add some incredible flavor to this seasoning.
- Onion – I like to use onion granules.
- Thyme – Dry thyme is what is used.
- Rosemary – You will need dry rosemary leaves for this.
- Celery – I like adding celery seed to the mix because celery, in general, goes so well with beef.
- Paprika – This will add a hint of smoky flavors to the seasoning blend.
- Sugar – Brown sugar will help bring a touch of sweetness and help in the caramelization process when cooking it.
How to Make a Steak Seasoning from Scratch
Add all the ingredients to a mortar or electric spice grinder.
Grind or use a pestle to grind down the spices until it becomes finer. It is ok if there are still some tiny chunks of herbs or spices.
Use or cover and store.
Make-Ahead and Storage
Make-Ahead: You can make this homemade steak seasoning for several days or weeks before you’re ready to use it.
How to Store: Put in an airtight container and store in a cool dark place for up to 6 months.
Chef Notes + Tips
- Other dry spices you can add are 1 teaspoon each of cumin, ground mustard, or red pepper flakes.
- You can also store this in glass jars with an air-tight lid.
- You can also use powder instead of granules for the onion and garlic.
More Rub Recipes
Steak Seasoning Recipe
- 3 tablespoons coarse sea salt
- 2 tablespoons whole peppercorns
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 tablespoon garlic granules
- 1 tablespoon onion granules
- 1 tablespoon dry thyme
- 1 tablespoon dry Rosemary
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 ½ teaspoons celery seeds
- 1 ½ teaspoons coriander seeds
- Add all the ingredients to a mortar or electric spice grinder.
- Grind or use a pestle to grind down the spices until it becomes finer. It is ok if there are still some small chunks of herbs or spices.
- Use or cover and store.