Get 5 Secrets to Make Homemade Taste Food Better + New Recipes Weekly!
Published October 28, 2021. This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
This homemade Cajun seasoning recipe is incredibly simple to make and can help spice up the flavor in just about any dish.
Using seasoning blends and rubs can help enhance the taste in whatever recipe you’re making, and often you already have all the ingredients necessary to make them. If you want to start making them yourself, check out my pickling spice recipe or blackened seasoning blend.
Cajun seasoning is a simple blend of mixed spices and herbs and is often used as a rub or added recipe to help enhance the flavor profiles. This seasoning is incredibly popular in classic staple dishes found throughout Louisiana. There are some variations when it comes to making a Cajun seasoning, but here are some common dry ingredients:
- White Pepper
- Cayenne Pepper
How to Make It
Use these simple instructions for making a homemade Cajun seasoning blend:
- Add all the dry ingredients to a large bowl.
- Mix until completely combined and set aside until ready to use.
Make-Ahead and Storage
Make-Ahead: You can make this several weeks or months ahead of time.
How to Store: Cover and keep in the cupboard for up to 1 year.
chef notes + tips
- Feel free to substitute the dry thyme for oregano or basil.
- You can also use powder instead of granules for the onion and garlic.
What to Use It In
The Best Homemade Cajun Seasoning Recipe
- 2 tablespoons sea salt
- 2 teaspoons ground mustard
- 1 tablespoon onion granules
- 1 tablespoon garlic granules
- 1/2 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 tablespoon thyme
- Add all the ingredients to a small size bowl.
- Mix until everything is combined. Cover and store until ready to use