Get 5 Secrets to Make Homemade Taste Food Better + New Recipes Weekly!
Published June 14, 2021. This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Making homemade blackened seasoning is so easy to make and taste way better than anything you’re going to buy from the store.
Utilizing spices is such a fantastic way to enhance the flavor of food. It’s inexpensive and you may already have so many great spices in your cabinet that are waiting to get used up. If you want to try out some great spice rubs on some food then definitely make my Grilled Pork Chops Recipe or Salmon Fajitas.
Blackened seasoning was created by the late great Chef Paul Prudhomme at his restaurant K-Paul’s in New Orleans, Louisiana. This tasty spice rub can be used in a myriad of ways and was originally made to season and flavor up redfish, like snapper or rockfish.
When using blackened seasoning, especially on a protein, it’s very common for it to then be cooked in a hot cast-iron skillet. You may also grill your protein for a smokier flavor. Here are some great things to use it on:
- Sauces (Especially Cream Sauce)
What Is It Made Of?
Blackened Seasoning is a combination of peppers, spices, and herbs but is only 8 common ingredients. Here is what you most commonly will find in it:
- White Pepper
- Cayenne Pepper
- Black Pepper
How to Make Blackened Seasoning from Scratch
Follow along with these very easy step-by-step procedures to make a homemade blackened seasoning from scratch:
Add all of the dry herbs to a medium-size bowl.
Using a whisk or a spoon combine all of the ingredients thoroughly.
Make-Ahead and Storage
Make-Ahead: You can make this recipe up to several months ahead of time.
How to Store: Cover and keep in a cool dark place for up to 6 months.
chef notes + tips
- I prefer to use granules instead of powder when it comes to the onion and garlic ingredients. It tastes better and has a lot more flavor.
- A great way to store the seasoning blend is by keeping it in a mason jar with an airtight lid.
Recipes to Try It On
Homemade Blackened Seasoning Recipe
- 2 teaspoons sea salt
- 1 teaspoon onion granules
- 1 teaspoon garlic granules
- 1 teaspoon dry oregano
- 1 teaspoon dry thyme
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- ½ teaspoon ground white pepper
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Add all of the ingredients to a medium size bowl.
- Thoroughly mix together everything until well combined.
- Keep in a storage container and set aside until ready to use.