These flanks steak tacos are loaded up with delicious spice-rubbed pan-roasted steak, caramelized onions, avocado, chimichurri sauce and queso fresco for the most amazing taco recipe ever!
Man do I love tacos and this recipe with chimichurri sauce is fantastic. It always amazes me how easy it can be to make tacos by using the most simple ingredients imaginable.
I mean I literally used onions and avocado as filler ingredients and it just made these spectacular. Also, the great thing about making them is being able to swap out ingredients for whatever you like.
I could have changed cheeses, I could have roasted peppers and put them in there, or I could have simply changed the chimichurri sauce for a pico de gallo. I think the beauty of being able to do this really comes down to how much time and money you want to spend.
Making a marinade for the meat is a great idea because of the impactful flavor it can provide.
Whether you use a wet marinade, like in these pork mojo tacos, or a dry rub marinade in this flank steak tacos recipe, you are doing the right thing.
- Add together your spices and seasonings in a small bowl.
- Drizzle some olive oil onto a plate and generously add some of the seasoning blends to the plate with olive oil.
- Mix the seasonings and olive oil. NOTE: should have a strong flavor.
- Add the flank steak and coat it on all sides heavily with the oil-seasoning mixture.
- Marinate for 30 minutes in the refrigerator.
How to Cook Them
Since flank steak is a thinner potentially tougher cut of meat, it needs to be cooked quickly.
I start by getting a pan hot over medium-high heat and then adding in the marinated flank steak.
I usually turn the heat down to medium and cook it for 3 to 4 minutes per side until it’s got a nice browning on it and has a rare internal temperature.
If for some reason you want to go to medium-rare, add about a minute or two per side, but I wouldn’t go far past that as flank steak can get chewy once you start getting into a medium internal temperature.
You definitely do not want them to be chewy.
Once your meat is cooked set it to the side and let it rest for 3 to 4 minutes before slicing it as thin as you possibly can and on an angle for these.
The beautiful thing about these is you can put whatever toppings on that you want. I simply sliced up and lightly caramelized up some yellow onions since I knew they would go great on these.
The other toppings I used were a simple slice of avocado, queso fresco cheese, and chimichurri sauce.
This sauce is so easy to make and brings so much flavor to the table. The herbs in it can be interchangeable a bit, but I almost always use cilantro, parsley, and oregano.
Once you finely mince those up mix them with garlic, shallot, red wine vinegar, and oil for a delicious chimichurri sauce. I can promise you this, once you eat this you’re going to want to put it on everything.
How To Serve Them
Once all of the ingredients are prepped up it’s time to serve them.
Add some thinly sliced cooked flank steak to a soft taco shell and load it up with chimichurri sauce, caramelized onions, avocado, and queso fresco and boom, flank steak tacos!!
More Taco Recipes
If you were in love with these, then you are going to dig these other taco recipes.
- Blackened Mahi Mahi Fish Tacos Recipe
- Chicken Tinga Tacos Recipe
- Bao Bun Tacos
- Homemade Ice Cream Tacos
- Baja Fish
Flank Steak Tacos Recipe with Chimichurri Sauce
For the Seasoning:
- 2 tablespoons of garlic powder
- 2 tablespoons of onion powder
- 2 tablespoons of cumin
- 2 tablespoons of oregano
- 2 tablespoons of chili powder
- 1 tablespoon of crushed red pepper
- 2 tablespoons of Kosher salt
For the Chimichurri Sauce:
- 4 finely minced cloves of garlic
- 1 finely minced small shallot
- 1/2 cup of chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/2 cup of chopped fresh parsley
- 1/3 cup of chopped fresh oregano
- 1/4 cup of red wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup of olive oil
- Kosher salt and fresh cracked pepper to taste
For the Tacos:
- 1 pound flank steak
- 1 thickly sliced yellow onion
- 1 thinly sliced avocado
- 3 tablespoons of olive oil
- 10 corn tortilla shells
- limes for garnish
- queso fresco
- For the Seasoning: Combine all ingredients together in a small bowl and set aside
- For the Chimichurri Sauce: Combine all ingredients together in a small bowl and mix until merged.
- For the Steak: Add 1 tablespoon of olive oil to a plate along with 2 tablespoons of the seasoning blend and mix together. Next, add the flank steak and coat on all sides with the olive oil-seasoning blend and let marinate for at least 20 minutes.
- In a large saute pan on high heat with 1 tablespoon of olive oil, add the onions and caramelize. Once brown remove them from the pan.
- In the same pan on high heat, add in the marinated flank steak and sear on both sides for 3 minutes or until golden brown and a medium-rare internal temperature is achieved.
- Let the meat rest on a cutting board for 2 to 3 minutes before thinly slicing against the grain.
- To plate: Place a small amount of the sliced flank steak inside of a corn tortilla shell and top off with 1 tablespoon of chimichurri sauce, caramelized onions, sliced avocado, and queso fresco. Garnish with limes.