Get 5 Secrets to Make Homemade Taste Food Better + New Recipes Weekly!
Published October 3, 2022. This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
This easy-to-make Mexican spice blend recipe is my go-to when seasoning up my beef, fish, pork, or chicken for an explosion of flavor. You will love how simple this is to prepare and much it will enhance your Mexican cooking.
Using dry spices is a fantastic way to take the taste of your food over the top. It’s a simple procedure that will pay dividends in the flavor department. If you love using spices and seasoning blends, try my Blackening Seasoning or my Cajun Seasoning.
Mexican Spice Blend
Mexican spice blend combines dry spices and herbs that can be used as a rub for protein before cooking or as a general spice blend for the season. There are a few pre-made rubs in the grocery store that you can purchase, but most of the spices it takes to make this are staple cupboard items that you probably already have. Since this is homemade, it is far superior to store-bought.
This is very easy to prepare at home and will last as long as your dry spices do. I do add salt to my recipe, so there is no need to add further seasoning to whatever you are adding. Try this Mexican spice blend recipe on my fish tacos, or use it as a general taco seasoning recipe.
- Garlic – I prefer to use granules as opposed to garlic powder.
- Oregano – Any dry oregano will work for this.
- Cumin – Ground cumin adds some nice earthy flavors to this.
- Onion – I prefer to use granules as opposed to onion powder.
- Chili Powder – A good chili powder will add some nice chili flavors.
- Red Pepper – Some crushed red pepper flakes add spice to this, so there is no need for black pepper.
- Salt – I always use coarse sea salt in my cooking and baking.
How to Make a Mexican Spice Blend
Add all the dry spices to a medium-sized bowl.
Using a fork, spoon, or whisk, mix everything until combined. Use, or cover and store.
Make-Ahead and Storage
Make-Ahead: You can make this homemade Mexican spice blend for several days or weeks before you’re ready to use it.
How to Store: Put in an airtight container and store in a cool dark place for up to 1 year.
Chef Note + Tips
- Other dry spices you can add in are cayenne pepper, paprika, chipotle powder, cinnamon, or ground cloves.
- You can also store this in glass jars with an air-tight lid.
More Spice Blend Recipes
Mexican Spice Blend Recipe
- 2 tablespoons sea salt
- 1 tablespoon onion granules
- 1 tablespoon garlic granules
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon dry oregano
- 1 ½ teaspoons crushed red pepper flakes
- Add all the ingredients to a medium size bowl.
- Thoroughly mix everything until well combined.
- Keep in a storage container and set aside until ready to use.