Get 5 Secrets to Make Homemade Taste Food Better + New Recipes Weekly!
Published May 11, 2022. This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
This delicious Lebanese 7 spice recipe is an easy-to-make staple seasoning blend used in classic Lebanese and middle eastern cooking. Take your cooking to the next level with this tasty blend of spices.
Lebanese 7-spice, or Baharat, is a combination of ground spices that are used to season food, especially meat. This is as important to Lebanon as garam masala is in Indian cuisine, it’s a staple.
In addition, there are also variations for 7 spices, and you may see things swapped out or even added, like ginger. Regardless, this is a very easy recipe to make, and do not skip out and toasting the spices before grinding.
Ingredients You’ll Need to Make It
- All Spice – Use whole all-spice berries for this.
- Pepper – You can use black or even multi-color peppercorns.
- Cinnamon – A broken-up cinnamon stick is what you’ll need.
- Cloves – Whole cloves are what I used.
- Coriander – Use whole coriander seeds, not cracked.
- Cumin – Whole cumin seeds should be used,
- Nutmeg – Smash the whole nutmeg with a pan to break it up.
How to Make Lebanese 7 Spice
Use these step-by-step procedures to make this homemade Lebanese 7 spice blend:
Add the spices to a large frying pan and cook over low heat for 5-7 minutes or until it becomes very aromatic.
Transfer the spices to a spice grinder and grind until it becomes like a grainy powder, like most ground spices.
Cover and store until ready to use.
Make-Ahead and Storage
Make-Ahead: You can make this up to several days or weeks before you’re ready to use it.
How to Store: Put in an airtight container and store in a cool dark place for up to 1 year.
chef notes + tips
- You can absolutely use all ground spices and simply mix them together in a bowl until they are combined.
- The spices should not brown up in any way when heating over low heat before grinding.
- Feel free to use a mortar and pestle if you do not have a spice grinder.
More Spice Blend Recipes
Lebanese 7 Spice Recipe (Baharat)
- 2 tablespoons all spice berries
- 1 tablespoon black pepper corns
- 1 broken up cinnamon stick
- 1 tablespoon whole cloves
- 2 tablespoons whole coriander seeds
- 2 tablespoons cumin seeds
- 2 tablespoons cracked whole nutmeg
- Add the spices to a large frying pan and cook over low heat for 5-7 minutes constantly stirring until it becomes very aromatic.
- Transfer the spices to a spice grinder and grind until it becomes like a grainy powder, like most ground spices you see in the grocery store.
- Cover and store until ready to use it.