Take a little trip down south with this classic homemade chocolate chess pie recipe that comes together in just 1 hour.
Whether it’s for a holiday or just an after-dinner dessert, this house has a serious sweet tooth. If you’re a sweets fanatic as well, then definitely check out my apple galette or banana pudding recipes too.
This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of Mirum. The opinions and text are all mine.
Chocolate Chess Pie
Chocolate chess pie is close relative to a classic chess pie but obviously has chocolate in it as well as a few other interchangeable ingredients. It is essentially and sugar, milk, and egg pie that is baked inside a homemade pie crust.
This traditional southern pie is often showcased in BBQ restaurants across the country and believe it or not, is very easy to make at home as well.
How to Make It
Follow these simple instructions for how to make a chocolate chess pie:
Form your homemade pie crust to a pie pan, or in my case a cast iron skillet with a fluted edge.
Whisk together all of the filling ingredients until completely combined.
Transfer the batter to the pan and pour it into the pie dough shell.
Bake in the oven at 350° for 45 minutes or until the filling has set and is firm.
Serve at room temperature or cool before serving. Garnish with whipped cream.
How to Serve a Chocolate Chess Pie
There are actually a few different ways you can serve up a chocolate chess pie and with a couple of different toppings.
Here are the most popular ways to serve it:
- At room temperature.
- Chilled in the refrigerator until cold.
- With whipped cream.
- Powdered sugar sprinkled on top.
- Alongside fresh berries.
How to Reduce Heartburn Symptoms When Eating Your Chocolate Chess Pie
If you’re combatting frequent heartburn (2 or more days per week), a 14-day course of Omeprazole Orally Disintegrating Tablets (ODT) in the morning can really aid in enjoying everyday life. I usually stick to a regimen during those long stretches of eating acidy, oily, fatty foods during the fall and winter months.
I can’t tell you how limiting it can be to always worry about what to eat, because heartburn can come up. Omeprazole ODT is a convenient, strawberry-flavored dissolving tablet that melts right on your tongue, no water needed, and provides 24-hour relief from heartburn. It treats the same symptoms as Prilosec OTC and works as well as the national brands, but the dissolving tablet goes down easier and since it’s the store brand, it’s more affordable.
Recipe Chef Notes + Tips
Make-Ahead: You can serve this pie just an hour after removing it from the oven, or you can make it up to 2 days ahead of time.
How to Store: Cover and keep in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. This will freeze well covered for up to 2 months. Thaw in the refrigerator for 1 day before serving.
If you like a thicker pie, you can double the filling recipe and set it in a deep fluted pie pan and bake for an additional 45-60 minutes.
You do not have to use a cast-iron skillet like I did, feel free to use a standard 9” pie pan.
More Dessert Recipes
Homemade Chocolate Chess Pie Recipe
- Preheat the oven to 350°.
- Form the pie crust into a 9” pie pan, or a 10” cast-iron skillet and set in the refrigerator until ready to use.
- In a large bowl whisk together the sugars, cocoa powder, corn starch, and salt until combined.
- Next, mix in the milk and then the eggs 1 at a time until mixed in.
- Finish by whisking in the melted butter and vanilla until completely combined and smooth.
- Transfer the batter to the pie shell and pour it in. Bake at 350° for 45-50 minutes or until the pie has become firm with a slight jiggle in the center.
- Remove the pie and cool to room temperature.
- Serve as is with optional whipped cream or chill it and serve it cold.
- Make-Ahead: You can serve this pie just an hour after removing from the oven, or you can make it up to 2 days ahead of time.
- How to Store: Cover and keep in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. This will freeze well covered for up to 2 months. Thaw in the refrigerator for 1 day before serving.
- If you like a thicker pie, you can double the filling recipe and set it in a deep fluted pie pan and bake for an additional 45-60 minutes.
- You do not have to use a cast-iron skillet like I did, feel free to use a standard 9” pie pan.