You will absolutely love how easy it is to make this classic pumpkin roll cake -stuffed up with a sweet cream cheese filling.
Whenever I enter these seasons of life where I know I’ll be grazing on food all day, especially during the holidays, I typically start a simple 14-day regimen of Omeprazole ODT to help treat my frequent heartburn proactively. It allows me to eat what I want, when I want, without having to think twice about it.
This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of Mirum. The opinions and text are all mine.
Pumpkin rolls are most often served up during the fall holidays at the main meal. It’s a great, easy to prepare dessert, and obviously, with pumpkin flavors, it’s seasonal and festive as well. Pumpkin rolls are also great because you can make them ahead of time, taking out some of the stress of holiday food preparation.
Since pumpkin rolls are essentially sponge cakes, this recipe can be adapted for spring or summer as well, so that it remains seasonally relevant.
Cream Cheese Filling
The filling in this recipe provides a perfect combination of sweetness and thickness from the cream cheese and butter. Because this is a roll, you get to taste the frosting in every single bite.
Here’s how easy the cream cheese filling is to make:
- Whip together the softened cream cheese, unsalted butter, and vanilla in a stand mixer on high speed with the paddle attachment for 4-5 minutes or until it is light and fluffy.
- Turn the speed down to low, and add in the powdered sugar, and finish whipping on medium speed until completely incorporated. Set aside until it is ready to use.
How to Make It
Follow these simple instructions on how to make this delicious pumpkin roll recipe:
Start by sifting together the dry ingredients into a large bowl.
Next, add in the eggs, pumpkin filling, and vanilla extract and whisk until it is completely combined and smooth.
Transfer the batter to a cookie sheet tray that is lined with parchment paper and spread out the batter with a rubber spatula until it is evenly distributed.
Bake the cake in the oven at 350° for 15 to 17 minutes or until it is lightly browned on top.
Once it is done baking, immediately invert the cake onto a large clean kitchen towel that has been dusted with powdered sugar.
Immediately roll up the cake and set it on a cooling rack until it is completely cool.
After the cake is done cooling, unroll it and evenly spread the cream cheese filling all of the centers of it.
Roll the cake back up and then chill it in the refrigerator for at least 1 hour for the filling to set.
How to Keep the Cake from Cracking
These cakes are delicate and can easily crack or split. Here are a few things you can do to ensure it does not do that:
- Make sure to immediately roll up the cake the second it comes out of the oven.
- Be sure the cake is completely cooled to room temperature before adding in the cream cheese filling
How to Reduce Heartburn Symptoms When Eating Your Pumpkin Roll
If you’re combatting frequent heartburn (2 or more days per week), a 14-day course of Omeprazole Orally Disintegrating Tablets (ODT) can really aid in enjoying everyday life. I usually stick to a regimen during those long stretches of eating acidy, oily, fatty foods during the fall and winter months.
I can’t tell you how limiting it can be to always worry about what to eat because heartburn can come up. Omeprazole ODT is a convenient, strawberry-flavored dissolving tablet that melts right on your tongue, no water needed, and provides 24-hour relief from heartburn. It treats the same symptoms as Prilosec OTC and works as well as the national brands, but the dissolving tablet goes down easier and since it’s the store brand, it’s more affordable.
Use as directed for 14 days to treat frequent heartburn (occurring 2 or more days a week). Omeprazole ODT is not intended for immediate relief and may take 1-4 days to feel the full effect. Learn more here.
Recipe Chef Notes + Tips
Make-Ahead: You can make this recipe up to 1 day ahead of time. Make sure it is completely cool before serving.
How to Store: Wrap in plastic and keep in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. It will freeze wrapped in plastic for up to 2 months. Thaw in the refrigerator for 1 day before serving.
Feel free to make the cream cheese filling sweeter if you’d like.
More Dessert Recipes
Homemade Pumpkin Roll Cake Recipe
For the Cake:
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ¾ teaspoon baking soda
- ¾ teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- 4 eggs
- 1 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 cup pumpkin puree
- 2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup powdered sugar
For the Cream Cheese Filling:
- 12 oz softened cream cheese
- 1 stick softened unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 ½ cup powdered sugar
- Preheat the oven to 350°.
- In a large bowl sift together the flour, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt.
- Next, add in the eggs, sugar, pumpkin puree, and vanilla extract and whisk until it is completely combined and smooth.
- Transfer the batter to a cookie sheet tray lined with parchment paper and evenly spread it out using a rubber spatula.
- Bake the cake in the oven at 350° for 15 to 17 minutes or until the top is lightly browned. It should be cooked but soft.
- While the cake is baking generously sift powdered sugar onto a large clean kitchen towel.
- When the cake is done baking invert it right onto the kitchen towel and then immediately roll it up.
- Cool the cake completely on a cooling rack to room temperature, which takes about 2 hours.
- While the cake is cooling, add the cream cheese, butter, and vanilla extract to a stand mixer with the paddle attachment and whip on high speed for 4 to 5 minutes or until light and fluffy.
- Turn the speed down to low on the mixer and add in the powdered sugar and mix until combined and then turn the speed to medium and whip for 2 more minutes. Set aside.
- Once the cake is cooled un-roll it and then evenly spread the cream cheese filling completely covering the cake.
- Roll the cake back up tightly and chill in the refrigerator for 1 hour or until the cream cheese is stiffened up.
- Slice and serve.
- Make-Ahead: You can make this recipe up to 1 day ahead of time. Make sure it is completely cool before serving.
- How to Store: Wrap in plastic and keep in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. It will freeze wrapped in plastic for up to 2 months. Thaw in the refrigerator for 1 day before serving.
- Feel free to make the cream cheese filling sweeter if you’d like.