Get 5 Secrets to Make Homemade Taste Food Better + New Recipes Weekly!
Published February 6, 2020. This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
You will absolutely love this easy homemade churros recipe because they come together in under 30 minutes and they’re absolutely delicious. These are awesome to share with friends and family for holidays or just regular get-togethers.
What Are They
Churros are dough sticks that are piped out through a piping bag with a star tip and fried in oil until golden brown and tossed in a combination of cinnamon and sugar and are often served with dulce de leche or chocolate sauce. It is essentially pâte á choux dough which is the same dough used to make eclairs or cream puffs.
What Are The Ingredients
There are few ingredients in this tasty treat, consisting of:
- Sugar + Cinnamon
As I said, easy simple items that you honestly probably already have in your cupboards.
Churros Recipe – Made in 20 Minutes
These churros definitely do require you to fry in oil so if you have a deep fryer fantastic, if not you will need to heat the oil up in a large pot in between 350° and 360°.
Here is how to make them:
Bring the water, butter, vanilla, and salt to a boil in a large pot.
Add in the flour and immediately begin to vigorously whisk the mixture until it is combined. Just a heads up, it will be hard to whisk as things come together so be sure to hold the handle of the pot securely.
Remove the pot from the cooktop and whisk in the eggs until combined. The dough will start out loose but will then thicken once the eggs are combined.
Transfer the dough to a piping bag using a star tip (I prefer the 828 – aff link) and pipe the dough into the hot oil 6” at a time, clipping off the end where the dough meets the piping bag with scissors.
Cook for 2 ½ to 3 minutes per side in the oil and then toss in cinnamon and sugar.
How to Combine the Dough Easier
When making the dough it is really hard to whisk together and requires some strength. To lighten that up, try using an electric hand mixer to incorporate everything.
How Do You Keep Them Crispy
If you don’t plan on serving these churros immediately, you can keep them on a sheet pan with a rack in the oven on 200° for about an hour before they begin to crisp up too much.
I actually do this exact same thing with My Fried Chicken Recipe.
Why Are My Churros Raw Inside?
If you do not cook them enough, the dough on the inside will absolutely be raw. Usually, this is due to the oil being too hot. Try cooking a sample churro to getting the timing down where it is golden brown on the outside and cooked in the middle.
Chef Recipe Notes + Tips
Make-Ahead: You can make this up to 1 hour before serving.
How to Keep Hot: Keep them on a sheet pan with a rack in the oven at 200° for up to 1 hour.
How to Store: Keep these covered at room temperature for 1 day.
You can bake these if you want at 350° for 10 minutes and then broil them on high until browned on all sides.
I recommend using canola oil when frying these.
Definitely dip these churros in chocolate sauce, it is amazing.
More Amazing Dessert Recipes
- Lemon Tart Recipe
- Almond Tart with Strawberries
- Pineapple Upside Down Cake
- Strawberry Tart
- Carrot Cake
- Irish Apple Cake
Easy Homemade Churros Recipe
- 1 ½ cups water
- ¼ cup unsalted butter
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- pinch of sea salt
- 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 2 large eggs
- ¼ cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- chocolate sauce
- Preheat cooking oil in a deep fryer or in a large pot over low to medium heat until it reaches 350° to 360°.
- In a large pot add in the water, butter, vanilla, and salt and bring it to a boil.
- Pour in the flour and vigorously whisk until it’s completely combined. It will be hard to whisk.
- Remove from the cooktop and whisk in the eggs until combined. It will go from loose to a firmer dough.
- Transfer the mixture to a piping bag with a star tip and then pipe in 6” long pieces of dough right into the oil and clip off using scissors.
- Cook for 2 ½ to 3 minutes per side until browned and cooked throughout. Set on a rack on a sheet tray when done cooking to drain off any excess oil.
- In a small bowl combine the sugar and cinnamon and mix.
- Coat the churros in the cinnamon and sugar mixture and serve with optional chocolate sauce.
- Make-Ahead: You can make this up to 1 hour before serving.
- How to Keep Hot: Keep them on a sheet pan with a rack in the oven on 200° for up to 1 hour.
- How to Store: Keep these covered at room temperature for 1 day.
- You can bake these if you want at 350° for 10 minutes and then broil them on high until browned on all sides.
- I recommend using canola oil when frying these.
- Definitely dip these churros in chocolate sauce, it is amazing.