These may be my new favorite, especially with coffee in the morning, and how I’ll show you how to make churros and just how easy they are to prepare. Last summer I was in Columbus, Ohio tearing up the town looking for the very best in all things culinary. I took one of those food bus tours and landed at a little Mexican bake shop. When we got there they greeted us with homemade churros that were literally still hot, and from there I fell in love. Sure I’ve had churros before but it had been awhile, and ever since that point I promised myself I would make some someday soon.
Well fast forward 7 months and I’ve finally found some time to make them, and they did not disappoint. Believe it or not they are incredibly easy to make with 6 ingredients for the dough and then fried in some oil and coated in cinnamon and sugar. No long waits for resting the dough, no forming anything with your hands, straight up in and out. The dough consists of water, salt, butter, oil, eggs and Bob’s Red Mill® Organic All Purpose Flour. Bob’s Red Mill Organic All-Purpose Flour is unbleached, unbromated white flour milled from certified organic, U.S.—grown wheat. It is not enriched with any additives.
Once the dough is made you put it in a pastry bag with a large star tip. IF you don’t have a pastry bag, no worries just use a plastic press to close bag. Once the dough is in there you pipe it into vegetable or canola oil in a frying pan at 350° and cook them until they are light brown, about 3 to 4 minutes. Next quickly strain them and toss them in a combo of cinnamon and sugar and eat away.
I served them with some coffee and literally treated them as a breakfast pastry, but I promise they are good no matter what time of the day it is.
You can also make these as long or as short as you’d like, really depends on how big your frying pan is. Enjoy!
How to Make Churros
- 1 ½ cups of water
- ½ teaspoon of Kosher salt
- ¾ cup of unsalted butter
- 1 ½ tablespoons of vegetable oil + 2 cups for frying
- 1 ½ cups of Bob’s Red Mill® Organic Unbleached All Purpose Flour
- 3 eggs
- 1 tablespoons of cinnamon and ¼ cup of sugar mixed together
- Preheat 2 cups of vegetable oil in a pot to 350°.
- In a medium size pot add in the water, salt, butter and 1 ½ tablespoons of vegetable oil and bring to a boil.
- Once boiling, turn the heat to low and mix in the flour until completely combined and remove from the heat.
- Let the dough set and stir in 1 egg at a time until it’s completely mixed in and then transfer to a pastry bag with a large star tip.
- Pipe some of the dough right into the hot frying oil and use scissors or a knife to cut off the dough at the tip and cook until lightly browned, about 3 to 4 minutes.
- Drain the churros and coat in the cinnamon and sugar mixture and immediately serve.