If you love apple pie then you will absolutely love this apple galette recipe with an almond crust and homemade caramel.
Ask yourself, what’s the best part of any pie? The crust, right? I mean the filling is definitely good, but the crust is what compliments it and brings so much to any pie recipe. I like pies and all, but I’ve taken a pretty sharp turn into galettes, especially this recipe because there’s a ton of crust and I just love the rustic look they bring. I think it’s also a plus that they aren’t as filling and full as an apple pie which is great because it stops me from eating the entire pie!
This recipe features a few different types of apples and an amazing almond crust which just goes so stinkin’ well with the apples. You know me, I’m all about the balance of flavor and complimenting ingredients and this apple galette is where it’s at!
Almond Flour Crust
There is nothing like a delicious pie crust, and using almond flour just enhances the flavor so much! Making a homemade almond flour pie crust is exactly the same method as making a regular pie crust, except of course for swapping out some of the flour for some almond flour.
- Add the almond flour to a food processor along with some all-purpose flour, sugar, ice-cold unsalted butter, and salt and pulse until the butter is about the size of rice.
- From there I drizzle in ice-cold water that I put in the freezer until the mixture becomes like a meal and forms together if I pinch it. If you’re at this stage, then you are good.
A quick note for you is if your dough is too wet. do not worry because you will be rolling out the almond flour pie crust on a clean surface with flour and there you can add more flour to it before rolling it.
After I roll out the almond flour pie crust I transfer it to a sheet tray lined with parchment paper and chill it in the refrigerator until it’s time to stuff up!
When making apple pies or galettes I like to use different apples because I believe it provides some amazing depth to the flavor of it. I used gala apples, granny smith apples, and macintosh apples. I tell you this because I want you to use the apples that you most like so that it tastes the best to you. If you like just honey crisp apples, then that’s exactly what I want you to make in this.
If you noticed in my recipe video I sort of fanned the apples out because I think it looks pretty. If it stressed you out wondering how on earth you are going to do this, don’t worry just simply place the apples in the center just like you would with an apple pie.
How to Make a Galette
So once your apples are in the center of the apple galette you simply start folding up the sides to the center all away around the crust until it’s sealed up. There should be about a 5” to 6” circle diameter of exposed apples right in the center!
From here, bake this beauty up and you’re good to go!
More Great Pie Recipes
If you love pies or galettes then for sure check out these recipes:
Apple Galette Recipe
For the Pie Crust:
- ½ cup of Bob’s Red Almond Flour
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 ¼ sticks of ice-cold unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon of sugar
- 1 pinch of sea salt
- 3 ounces of ice-cold water
For the Apples:
- 1 each cored and sliced macintosh granny smith and gala apples
- juice of 1 lemon
- ¼ cup of sugar
- 1 teaspoon of cinnamon
- ½ stick of melted unsalted butter
- 3 tablespoons of sugar for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 375°.
- Add the almond flour, flour, butter, sugar, and salt to a food processor and pulse until the butter is the size of rice.
- Slowly drizzle in the water while pulsing until it becomes like a meal.
- Transfer the dough to a clean surface with flour and roll it out until it is about 18” in diameter.
- Next place the rolled-out dough onto a sheet tray lined with parchment paper and chill in the refrigerator.
- In a large bowl gently mix together the sliced apples, lemon juice, sugar, and cinnamon until combined.
- Transfer the apple mixture and fan it out and add them to the center of the rolled out dough chilled dough. Drizzle on melted butter
- Fold up all the sides to the center until it is tightly sealed and sprinkle on the sugar everywhere.
- Bake at 375° for 30-40 minutes or until browned and cooked.
- Cool to room temperature and serve with optional ice cream, whipped cream and caramel