Get 5 Secrets to Make Homemade Taste Food Better + New Recipes Weekly!
Published November 6, 2020. This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
If you love apple pie, then you will absolutely love this easy to make apple galette recipe with an almond crust and homemade caramel.
A galette, also known as a crostata, is an oversized pie crust that is stuffed with fruit, or savory vegetables, and then the edges are folded up to resemble a flat pie. It is very easy to make and ask yourself, what’s the best part of any pie? The crust, right? I mean the filling is definitely good, but the crust is what compliments it and brings so much to any pie recipe.
When it comes to the apples, you can absolutely use whichever apples you’d like, whether they be sweet or tart. Here are my absolute favorites to use by themselves or a combination of:
- Granny Smith
- Pink Lady
What’s the Difference Between a Galette and a Crostata
There is absolutely no difference between a Galette and a crostata. A galette is French and a crostata is Italian. While my recipe features almond flour to complement the apple filling, here are the basic ingredients:
- Flour – I use all-purpose flour for all of my crusts, but you could also use pastry flour or bread flour.
- Sugar – Just use plain white or organic cane sugar.
- Salt – I always use organic sea salt when seasoning anything.
- Butter – Always use unsalted butter, however, if you’d like you can swap out with some cold rendered bacon fat.
- Water – Make sure the water is ice cold before using it.
How to Make It
Follow these simple instructions for how to make this delicious apple galette recipe:
Add the almond flour to a food processor along with some all-purpose flour, sugar, ice-cold unsalted butter, and salt, and pulse until the butter is about the size of rice.
From there I drizzle in ice-cold water that I put in the freezer until the mixture becomes like a meal and forms together if I pinch it. If you’re at this stage, then you are good.
Roll out the galette and transfer it to a sheet tray lined with parchment paper and then chill it in the refrigerator until it’s time to stuff up.
Toss together sliced apples with lemon juice, sugar, cinnamon, and mix until combined.
Transfer the mixture to the center of the rolled-out pie dough crust and make it into a decorative shape or simply add it into pie dough.
Drizzle on some melted butter and then fold up all of the sides.
Sprinkle with some extra sugar and then bake at 375° for 35-40 minutes before serving with optional ice cream and caramel.
Recipe Chef Notes + Tips
Make-Ahead: You can make this recipe up to 1 day ahead of time and it can be served hot fresh from the oven or cold from the fridge.
How to Reheat: You can place the galette covered in foil and bake in the oven at 350° for 6-8 minutes or until warmed. You can also reheat on a microwave-safe plate in the microwave until warm.
How to Store: Keep covered and place in the refrigerator for up to 4 days. This will also freeze well for up to 3 months. Thaw in the refrigerator for 1 day before serving.
You can absolutely swap out the apples with fresh berries, peaches, pears, or even savory vegetables.
More Amazing Pie Recipes
Apple Galette Recipe
For the Pie Crust:
- ½ cup almond flour
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 sticks of ice-cold unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon of sugar
- 1 pinch of sea salt
- 3 ounces of ice-cold water
For the Apples:
- 1 each cored and sliced macintosh, granny smith and gala apples
- juice of 1 lemon
- ¼ cup of sugar
- 1 teaspoon of cinnamon
- ½ stick of melted unsalted butter
- 3 tablespoons of sugar for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 375°.
- Add the almond flour, flour, butter, sugar, and salt to a food processor and pulse until the butter is the size of rice.
- Slowly drizzle in the water while pulsing until it becomes like a meal.
- Transfer the dough to a clean surface with flour and roll it out until it is about 18” in diameter.
- Next place the rolled-out dough onto a sheet tray lined with parchment paper and chill in the refrigerator.
- In a large bowl gently mix together the sliced apples, lemon juice, sugar, and cinnamon until combined.
- Transfer the apple mixture and fan it out and add them to the center of the rolled out dough chilled dough. Drizzle on melted butter
- Fold up all the sides to the center until it is tightly sealed and sprinkle on the sugar everywhere.
- Bake at 375° for 30-40 minutes or until browned and cooked.
- Cool to room temperature and serve with optional ice cream, whipped cream and caramel
- Make-Ahead: You can make this recipe up to 1 day ahead of time and it can be served hot fresh from the oven or cold from the fridge.
- How to Reheat: You can place the galette covered in foil and bake in the oven at 350° for 6-8 minutes or until warmed. You can also reheat on a microwave-safe plate in the microwave until warm.
- How to Store: Keep covered and place in the refrigerator for up to 4 days. This will also freeze well for up to 3 months. Thaw in the refrigerator for 1 day before serving.
- You can absolutely swap out the apples with fresh berries, peaches, pears, or even savory vegetables.
- You may not need to use all of the water as the dough can get too wet.