Get 5 Secrets to Make Homemade Taste Food Better + New Recipes Weekly!
Published July 9, 2021. This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
This tasty homemade blueberry crostata recipe comes together very quickly and is the perfect dessert for all those berry and pie crust-loving fans.
There is nothing like a delicious dessert to finish off a great meal. If you’re looking to expand your current repertoire of sweets, then you absolutely have to check out how to make my banana pudding or cannoli recipe.
A crostata is a free-formed open-face tart that will often have a decorative dough lattice on top. It is essentially a rolled-out homemade pie crust where the fruit is placed in the center and the outside edges are folded in.
Crostata’s have become more popularized in the last 10-15 years and are lauded for its few basic household ingredients and ability to make a tasty pie-like dessert without having to worry about the perfection of pie. It is a very forgiving dessert while the filling can be customized to your liking.
What’s the Difference Between a Crostata and Galette?
The only difference between a crostata and a galette is the name. Plainly put, crostata is Italian while a galette is French. The ingredients in both are exactly the same and are interchangeable.
How to Make a Blueberry Crostata from Scratch
Follow these easy to prepare step-by-step instructions for making a homemade blueberry crostata from scratch:
In a food processor, process the flour, butter, salt, and cold water until it forms a meal.
Transfer the dough to a floured surface and roll it out until It’s about and 1/8” thick.
Place the rolled-out dough onto a sheet tray lined with parchment paper and let it rest in the refrigerator.
In a bowl mix together the fresh blueberries, sugar, cinnamon, corn starch, lemon juice, and lemon zest using a rubber spatula until combined.
Transfer the blueberry filling to the center of the rolled-out dough.
Fold up the outside edges of the dough to the center overlapping until it has been completely rolled up.
Brush the top of the dough with an egg wash and sprinkle on turbinado sugar, and then bake at 375° for 40-45 minutes.
Serve the crostata cooled or warm with optional whipped cream.
Recipe Chef Notes + Tips
Make-Ahead: You can make this up to 1 day ahead of time.
How to Store: Cover and keep in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. Cover and freeze for up to 3 months. Thaw in the refrigerator for 1 day before serving.
The blueberry filling can absolutely be swapped out with your favorite berries or fruit such as apples to make an apple galette.
You can serve this recipe warm or cold, it’s up to you.
More Dessert Recipes
Homemade Blueberry Crostata Recipe (Galette)
For the Dough:
- 1 ½ cups all-purpose or bread flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 ounces cold unsalted butter cut into chunks
- 4 to 5 tablespoons ice cold water
- 1 egg and 1 tablespoon of milk whisked to make an egg wash
- 2 tablespoons turbinado sugar
For the Filling:
- 4 cups fresh blueberries
- 1 cup of sugar
- 3 tablespoons corn starch
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- juice and zest of 1/2 lemon
- Preheat the oven to 375°
- In a food processor add in the flour and salt and pulse to mix.
- Next add in the butter and pulse until the butter is the size of a small grain.
- Slowly drizzle in the water while pulsing until it is combined.
- Lightly dust a clean surface with flour and roll out the dough until it is 14 to 16 inches big and transfer it to a sheet pan lined with parchment paper and chill in the refrigerator until ready to use.
- In a large bowl mix together the berries, sugar, corn starch, cinnamon, lemon juice, and lemon juice using a rubber spatula.
- Pour the mixed berries into the center of the dough and fold up the dough on all sides to the center.
- Brush the outside of the dough with the egg wash and sprinkle the turbinado sugar on top.
- Bake at 375° for 40 to 45 minutes or until golden brown.
- Serve warm or completely cooled with optional whipped cream.