I’ve really been into making crostatas lately. It’s just the same as a pie but with literally half the work since you don’t have to form a crust to a pie pan and worry about it looking all-perfect. I literally made this Lemon and Blueberry Crostata from start to finish in 1 hour, and that includes prep! It’s a great alternative to pie without sacrificing any flavor, plus it’s quicker! It’s funny also that when you say “crostata” it just sounds like something exotic and immediately seems to make it more appetizing lol.
I simply used Bob’s Red Mill Organic All-Purpose Flour because it’s unbleached, unbromated white flour milled from certified organic, U.S.—grown wheat. It is not enriched with any additives and it’s the perfect all around flour for baking just about anything!
Then it’s a simple combo of blueberries, lemon juice, lemon zest and sugar! I have to say also that where the crostata trumps the pie, it’s in the crust department. I mean come on, what’s the best part of a pie? THE CRUST OF COURSE, and now there is more of it!
Another up-close shot above and a big one below for pinning!
Lemon and Blueberry Crostata Recipe
For the Dough:
- 1 ½ cups of Bob’s Red Mill® Organic All Purpose flour + more for dusting
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 6 ounces of cold unsalted butter cut into chunks
- 4 to 5 tablespoons of ice cold water
- 1 egg and 1 tablespoon of milk mixed together to make an egg wash
- 2 tablespoons of sugar in the raw
For the Filling:
- 3 cups of fresh blueberries
- 1 cup of sugar
- juice and zest of 1/2 lemon
- Preheat the oven to 400°
- In a large bowl mix together the berries, sugar and lemon juice and set aside.
- In a food processor add in the flour and salt and pulse to mix.
- Next add in the butter and pulse until the butter is the size of a small grain.
- Slowly drizzle in the water while pulsing until it is combined.
- Lightly dust a clean surface with flour and roll out the dough until it is 14 to 16 inches big and transfer it to a sheet pan lined with parchment paper.
- Pour the mixed berries into the center of the dough and fold up the dough on all sides.
- Brush the outside of the dough with the egg wash and sprinkle the sugar on top.
- Bake at 400° for 40 to 45 minutes or until golden brown.
- Let cool before serving and sprinkle on the lemon zest