Get 5 Secrets to Make Homemade Taste Food Better + New Recipes Weekly!
Published June 23, 2021. This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
This tasty classic homemade pound cake recipe features only 6 common household ingredients and is incredibly simple to prepare.
No matter what we eat for our main meal, there always seems to be room for dessert. We love a good sweet to finish off our dinner and if you are the same way, and are looking to try out a few new tasty treats then definitely try my tres leches cake or chocolate mousse recipe.
Pound cake has been around since the 1700s and was created in Britain. It is the simple concept of a pound per ingredient that is then combined and baked to make a tasty, sweet cake. The recipe has transformed slightly in the last 50-75 years as people add different flavor profiles to the cake and seek to add ingredients that can help soften up the dense heavy cake like sour cream or cream cheese.
Here are the basic ingredients that you would find in a typical pound cake recipe:
- Butter – One pound of softened unsalted butter.
- Sugar – Use one pound of granulated sugar.
- Eggs – One pound of large eggs still in the shell.
- Flour – Weighing to ensure it is 1 pound is key and use either all-purpose or cake flour.
How to Make Pound Cake from Scratch
Follow along with these simple step-by-step instructions for making a homemade pound cake from scratch:
- Start by whipping some softened unsalted butter in a stand mixer with the paddle attachment on medium speed until it becomes light and fluffy, which takes about 5-7 minutes.
- Next, add in the sugar and mix until well combined.
- Add in 1 egg at a time until they are mixed in before adding in some vanilla extract.
- Finish by adding in some salt and then the flour in three batches so that it mixes in easily and does not clump.
- Transfer to a prepared large 9” fluted cake or bundt pan or between two 8.5” x 4.5” loaf pans.
- Bake in the oven at 325° for 60-65 minutes or until lightly brown on top and firm.
- Cool completely before serving with homemade whipped cream and berries.
Pound Cake Variations
Lemon – When adding the vanilla to the recipe, also add in the juice and the zest of 1 lemon.
Cream Cheese – Substitute 1 stick of butter for one 8oz package of softened full-fat cream cheese. Combine them and whip them together in the first procedure of this recipe.
Sour Cream – Substitute 2 sticks of butter with 1 cup of sour cream. Add the sour cream alternating when adding in the flour, e.g. add 1/3 of the sour cream until mixed in, and then add in 1/3 of the flour. Repeat until everything is added and mixed in.
Make-Ahead and Storage
Make-Ahead: You can make this up to 2 days ahead of time.
How to Store: Cover and keep at room temperature for up to 4 days. Cover and keep in the refrigerator for up to 6 days. Cover and freeze for up to 3 months. Thaw from the freezer before slicing and serving.
chef notes + tips
- You can substitute the all-purpose flour for cake flour.
- I believe it’s important to have a digital scale in your toll drawer and here’s the one that I used (this is an affiliate link that allows me to make a little money on the sale should you chose to buy it): https://amzn.to/3iswqTI
- If you only have medium-sized eggs, then I would use 8
- Here is the fluted pan that I used (this is an affiliate link that allows me to make a little money on the sale should you chose to buy it): https://amzn.to/3x4zj0V
- If you do not have a stand mixer you can substitute it for electric hand beaters.
More Dessert Recipes
Classic Homemade Pound Cake Recipe
- 4 sticks softened unsalted butter
- 2 cups sugar
- 7 large eggs
- 2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 ¾ cups all-purpose flour
- Preheat to 325°.
- Add the butter to a stand mixer with the paddle attachment and whip on medium speed until it becomes light and fluffy.
- Next, pour in the sugar and mix until combined. Stop stand mixer and scrape with a rubber scrapper.
- Add 1 egg at a time until they are completely mixed in and then add in the vanilla.
- Sprinkle in the salt.
- Next, add the flour in 1/3 batches until all mixed in. Stop stand mixer and scrape with a rubber scrapper and then mix for another minute or so.
- Transfer the batter to a large 9” fluted pan or to two 8.5” x 4.5” loaf pans and bake on a rack in the bottom third of the oven at 325° for 55-65 minutes or until browed on top and firm.
- Rest on a rack in the pan for 90-120 minutes or cooled to room temperature.
- Serve with whipped cream and fresh berries.