Homemade whipped cream is incredibly easy to make and is infinitely better than anything pre-made you’re going to get in the store, and it only takes 5 minutes.
Once you’ve tasted this, you know you can never buy it from the store again. It is so much creamier, richer, sweeter and flavorful then what they got in the refrigerator aisle. It goes amazing on just about any dessert, and I especially love it on crème brûlée, key lime pie and chocolate mousse.
What Is It Made Of?
Homemade whipped cream has few ingredients and can have alternates and additional ingredients, but here are the basics:
- Heavy Whipping Cream
- Sugar (Powdered or Granulated)
- Vanilla Extract
Is Whipping Cream The Same As Heavy Whipping Cream?
They are not the same thing. Whipping cream is lighter and contains 30% to 35% milk fat while heavy whipping cream contains at least 36% milk fat. Both however will still be able to make homemade whipped cream as a topping. heavy whipping cream will render a stable whipped cream.
Is It The Same As Cool Whip
No it is not the same as cool whip as this recipe uses everyday natural ingredients and does not need to be frozen to keep its thick stabilized shape.
How To Make Homemade Whipped Cream
Add your cold cream to a clean stand mixing bowl fixed with the whisk attachment.
Add in your sugar.
Pour in your vanilla extract.
Whip on medium to high speed for 2-4 minutes or until stiff peaks have been formed and serve.
How To Stabilized It
There are a few ways to make stabilized whipped cream but the most common would be to use gelatin. Here are those quick procedures:
Heat up 1 tablespoon of water with 1 teaspoon of gelatin to a microwave safe bowl and let sit until bloomed or thick.
Heat in the microwave for 30 seconds or until the mixture has combined and is smooth. Set aside to cool.
Make your whipped cream and while it begins to get thick, slowly add in your gelatin mixture until combined and finish mixing until stiff peaks are formed.
How Long Does It Last
It will last 3 days covered in the refrigerator. You may have to re-whip it to make it thick again as it will fall over time.
Recipe Chef Notes + Tips
Make Ahead: You can make this up to 1 day ahead of time or 3 days ahead of time if stabilizing with gelatin.
How To Store: Keep covered in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
I like to keep my cream in the freezer for 10 to 15 minutes before putting in the stand mixer.
You can absolutely whip this by hand using a whisk or using an electric hand mixer.
This is good just eaten with fresh berries in case you don’t want to make a special dessert to put it on.
Try it out on these recipes:
- Peanut Butter Ice Box Cake
- Apple Cake With Oatmeal Streusel
- Peach Upside Down Cake
- Almond Tart Recipe
- French Silk Pie
Homemade Whipped Cream Recipe
- 2 cups cold heavy whipping cream
- ½ cup granulated sugar or 1 cup powdered sugar
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- Add the cold cream to a stand mixer with the whisk attachment along with the sugar and vanilla.
- Whip on medium-high speed for 2-4 minutes or until stiff peaks are formed.
- Cool until ready to use or serve.
- Make Ahead: You can make this up to 1 day ahead of time or 3 days ahead of time if stabilizing with gelatin.
- How To Store: Keep covered in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
- I like to keep my cream in the freezer for 10 to 15 minutes before putting in the stand mixer.
- You can absolutely whip this by hand using a whisk or using an electric hand mixer.
- This is good just eaten with fresh berries in case you don't want to make a special dessert to put it on.