Get 5 Secrets to Make Homemade Taste Food Better + New Recipes Weekly!
Published November 9, 2021. This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Learn how to make this incredibly delicious homemade poultry seasoning recipe that goes excellent on your favorite turkey dishes.
Spice blends and rubs can greatly enhance the flavor of any dish you decided to use them in. You will most likely already have many spices that make up some of these great rubs already in your cabinets. If you are looking to try out some of these rubs then be sure to check out my Grilled Pork Chops or Jerk Chicken.
Poultry seasoning has been used for generations to help season up turkey recipes. William G. Bell of Boston is said to be one of the earliest creators of the spice founding his own blend in 1867 known as, Bell’s Poultry Seasoning. You can still find Bell’s Poultry Seasoning in grocery stores today. A simple poultry seasoning blend can easily be made at home with the spices you currently have. It’s very easy to make and will last just as long as all your dry spices do.
What’s In It?
This simple blend has a unique flavor profile that greatly complements poultry and especially turkey. Here are the main ingredients into a poultry seasoning:
How to Make Poultry Seasoning from Scratch
Use these simple instructions for making a poultry seasoning from scratch:
- Add all the ingredients to a spice blender or a mortar bowl with a pestle.
- Grind the spices together until they are combined and are like a seasoning blend. It’s ok if there are a few big chunks of spices.
Recipe Chef Notes + Tips
Make-Ahead: You can make this recipe up to 2 months ahead of time.
How to Store: Cover and keep in your cabinet or a dark place for up to 3 months or as long as each individual spice will last.
You can add salt separately or you can add 1 tablespoon into the mix of this recipe.
Other spices you can add to this blend are oregano and ginger. If you cannot find marjoram, then you can substitute for oregano.
If you have all powder or pre-ground spices, then there is no need to grind them up.
It’s ok if there are a few big chunks of spices after grinding.
This recipe procedure is for when only leaves of herbs are available
More Seasoning Recipes
Homemade Poultry Seasoning Recipe
- 2 tablespoons sage
- 1 ½ tablespoons thyme
- 1 tablespoon rosemary
- 2 teaspoons marjoram
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon ground white pepper
- If using leaves of herbs, then add all the ingredients to a spice blender or to a mortar bowl.
- Grind the spices together in the blender until they are combined or if it’s in the mortar, use a pestle to break up and grind. Store.
- If you are using the powdered or ground version of the spices simply add them to a bowl and whisk until combined. Store.