So I’ve been wanting to make Jerk Chicken at home since I graduated culinary school, which only took me 15 years to do… I know, not much for timing. I remember I had a killer recipe while in school and it’s obviously been lost through all the moves, marriage, kids, etc. so I did my best to recreate it. I changed it up a little bit too since the Scotch Bonnet recipes can be a little spicy by adding the Pineapple Rum Sauce. It kind of gives it that perfect balance of sweet and heat. No I don’t know for sure if this is exactly how Jamaican street food is done, since I’ve never roamed the streets of Jamaica, however with all of Jamaican street food in the states, I’d say I’m pretty close. If you’ve got a little time to spare since it takes a bit to marinate the chicken, then give this Jamaican Jerk Chicken Recipe with Pineapple Rum Sauce a whirl!
Serve this Jamaican Jerk Chicken Recipe with Pineapple Rum Sauce with this Caribbean Rice and Beans Recipe!
Had to serve the beautiful man with a side of Red Strip Beer (If you’ve never seen the commercial than check it out HERE).
- 2 green onions
- 5 garlic cloves
- ½ chopped sweet onion
- juice of 2 limes
- 2 tablespoons of soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon of Kosher salt
- 1 tablespoons of chopped fresh thyme
- 1 teaspoon of nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon of cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon of ground allspice
- 4 scotch bonnet peppers, seeds removed on 2 of them
- 2 tablespoons of brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 6 chicken legs
- 6 chicken thighs
- ½ cup of dark rum
- ½ cup of brown sugar
- ½ cup of pineapple juice
- Chicken: In a blender combine all ingredients except the chicken and puree on high until it becomes a thick pasty liquid. Place the liquid in a plastic food bag along with the chicken and toss around to coat. let the bag marinate in the refrigerator for at least 3 hours, but overnight is recommended. Be sure to move the chicken around in the bag every few hours to make sure all the chicken is being marinated.
- Once the chicken is done, place on a medium-high grill (350° to 425°) and cook on all sides until golden brown and cooked through out. Let the chicken rest before serving.
- Sauce: Combine all ingredients in a small sauce pot and cook on high heat until it is reduces by ⅔.
- Drizzle a small amount of the sauce on the grilled chicken.