If you’ve never had an authentic Caribbean Rice and Beans Recipe, I highly recommend trying it. It’s very easy to prepare and really really tasty! The coconut milk just makes the rice so rich and creamy, it’s amazing. Really I think this recipe would go with plenty of other dishes that aren’t indigenous to the Caribbean like pan seared fish or chicken. It’s just a nice change up from making a simple white rice that your family will appreciate and love. However, if you want to keep it traditional, then serve it up with this Jamaican Jerk Chicken Recipe with Pineapple Rum Sauce.
This Caribbean Rice and Beans Recipe is so easy!
- 2 cans of strained and rinsed kidney beans
- 2 cups of long grain rice
- ½ small diced small yellow onion
- 2 finely minced cloves of garlic
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- 1 roughly chopped smoked ham hock
- 1 whole scotch bonnet pepper
- 1 can of coconut milk
- 4 cups of vegetable stock (can substitute with water)
- 1 teaspoon of chopped fresh thyme
- Kosher salt and fresh cracked pepper to taste
- In a large sauce pot on high heat with olive oil, caramelize the onions and garlic.
- Once brown, add in the beans, ham hock and rice and toast for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Next, add in the coconut milk and stock and bring to a boil.
- Once it has boiled, stir it well, add in the pepper, put a lid on the pot and cook on low heat for 15 minutes or until the rice is tender.
- Finish the rice by using a for to pull it apart, remove the pepper and ham hock, and seasoning with Thyme, salt and pepper.
- Serve warm