Delicious baked apple slices tossed in cinnamon and sugar and cooked to perfection are the perfect dessert to serve up with caramel and ice cream.
I can’t think of a simpler dessert to make that is tastier than this. This recipe has such simple ingredients that most people already have in their house. It can help turn a boring scoop of ice cream into a delicious treat for any time of the day.
Best Apples for Baking
I always like a combination of sweet and tart when making baked apple slices to help balance off the flavors. Here’s a list of apples that are best for baking:
- Pink Lady
- Granny Smith
- Golden Delicious
How Do You Slice Apples for Baking
When it comes to slicing them, you need to cut around the core. Here is how I safely slice them:
Start by peeling the apples completely.
Slice a side off of the apple about a 1/4 of an inch around the inside core.
Place the slice side down on the cutting board to stabilize it from rocking back and forth and repeat the process around the core.
Slice each chunk into thinly cut pieces.
How to Make Baked Apples
- 1. Place the apples in a large bowl for mixing.
- 2. Add in melted unsalted butter, sugars, cinnamon, salt and cornstarch.
- 3. Mix with a spoon or rubber spatula until completely coated.
- 4. Transfer the apples to an oval baking casserole dish.
- 5. Bake at 375° for 45 minutes stirring every 15 minutes until they’re finished.
What to Do With Extra Apple Slices
There are a number of things you can do with extra apple slices and here are a few ideas:
Are They Healthy
Since the baked apple slices are tossed in sugar and melted butter they aren’t considered healthy. You could scale back on both of those ingredients to help offset the amount of fat and sugar intake and let the natural flavors from the apples come through.
Recipe Chef Notes + Tips
How to Reheat: Place in a pan with a lid and place in the oven at 350° for 8-10 minutes or until hot. Likewise, you can also heat in the microwave until hot.
How to Store: Once cool, place covered in the refrigerator for up to 4 days. They will also freeze well covered for up to 2 months. Thaw for 1 day in the refrigerator before reheating.
If you don’t want to cook the apples until the next day places them in a bowl submerged in pineapple juice to stop them from turning brown.
These also great with chicken, fish or apples so be sure to get creative as they are not only a sweet treat.
You can use a 9″ or 10″ oval casserole dish when baking.
Amazing Apple Recipes
Baked Apple Slices Recipe
- 5 each cored, peeled and thinly sliced Fuji apples
- 1 each cored, peeled and thinly sliced Granny Smith apple
- 4 tablespoons melted unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- Preheat the oven to 350°.
- Add the apples to a large mixing bowl along with butter, sugars, cinnamon, salt, and cornstarch and mix thoroughly.
- Transfer the apples to a 9" oval casserole dish and bake at 350° for 45 minutes.
- Stir every 15 minutes until they are done and serve hot.
- How to Reheat: Place in a pan with a lid and place in the oven at 350° for 8-10 minutes or until hot. Likewise you can also heat in the microwave until hot.
- How to Store: Once cool, place covered in the refrigerator for up to 4 days. They will also freeze well covered for up to 2 months. Thaw for 1 day in the refrigerator before reheating.
- If you don't want to cook the apples until the next day place them in a bowl submerged in pineapple juice to stop them from turning brown.
- These also great with chicken, fish or apples so be sure to get creative as they are not only a sweet treat.
- You can use a 9" or 10" oval casserole dish when baking.