Get 5 Secrets to Make Homemade Taste Food Better + New Recipes Weekly!
Published June 20, 2023. This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
This delicious, simple-to-prepare, all-purpose chicken seasoning recipe is a perfect blend of savory spices and herbs for all your chicken recipes. You will love the flavors in this rub and just how well it goes with any dish.
Using dry spices is a fantastic way to take the taste of your food to the next level. If you’ve never made homemade seasonings and rubs before, it is way easier than you think. Try my Cajun Seasoning or Blackened Seasoning Recipe.
Chicken seasoning is a simple combination of herbs, spices, salt, and pepper that are combined and used to season the chicken. There are many variations to making a seasoning blend, and will depend on what you like and what’s available. This is more of an all-purpose blend that is great to use for grilled, pan-seared, or oven-roasted chicken dishes.
This chicken seasoning is very easy-to-make and will last in a cool dry place as long as your dry spices do. I’ve seasoned this recipe to perfection with salt and pepper, so no more is needed when seasoning your chicken. If you’re looking for more smoky flavors, then try my BBQ Rub.
Ingredients and Substitutions
- Salt – I always use sea salt in my cooking and baking.
- Pepper – freshly ground or pre-ground black pepper
- Cumin – This will add some lovely earthy tones to this recipe.
- Onion – I prefer to use granules as opposed to powder.
- Garlic – Granules work better than powder.
- Paprika – Some smoked paprika will add smoky flavors to the rub.
- Mustard – Ground mustard adds great flavors to it.
- Rosemary – Some dry rosemary will help add some citrus and lavender flavors.
- Thyme – This will add some earthy-minty-like flavors to the chicken seasoning.
How to Make a Chicken Seasoning Rub
Add all the dry spices to a medium-sized bowl.
Using a fork, spoon, or whisk, mix everything until combined. Use, or cover and store.
Make-Ahead and Storage
Make-Ahead: You can make this homemade BBQ spice rub several days or weeks before you’re ready to use it.
How to Store: Put in an airtight container and store in a cool dark place for up to 6 months.
Chef Notes + Tips
- You can add other dry spices: red pepper flakes, oregano, basil, or celery seed.
- Try storing this in a glass jar with an air-tight lid.
- This blend would also go well on pork, beef, seafood, or vegetables.
More Seasoning Recipes
All-Purpose Chicken Seasoning Recipe
- 3 tablespoons coarse salt
- 1 ½ teaspoons ground pepper
- 1 ½ tablespoons garlic granules
- 1 ½ tablespoons onion granules
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 2 tablespoons dry parsley
- 2 teaspoons dry rosemary
- 2 teaspoons dry thyme
- Add all the dry spices to a medium-sized bowl.
- Using a fork, spoon, or whisk, mix everything until combined. Use, or cover and store.