This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of BUSH’S® Beans. The opinions and text are all mine.
I am always looking to try new things so when I came across the opportunity to make a vegan tacos recipe, I thought it was perfect timing to try out jackfruit. I’m sure you’ve seen the videos online of that huge spikey green fruit that has these weird pods inside. Well I’m here to set the record straight, it’s exactly like what you see in the videos. It’s huge, the spikes on the outside are a little sharp and wow is it sticky!! I can only imagine the person who discovered jackfruit while stumbling through the forest in the Philippines and thought, “I should try this?” So, what does jackfruit taste like? I was pleasantly surprised by the flavor as I ripped through the inside to try and get to a pod, so I could eat it. The best way to describe the flavor is that it tastes just like that gum that rhymes with lucyroot. Catch my drift? :-).
How to Cut Jackfruit
While I used a fresh jackfruit, I just want to note that you can absolutely purchase the pre-packed version for ease and quickness. Breaking down the jackfruit to get to the pods isn’t all that hard, but it does take about 30 minutes to do the whole thing so be sure to allow yourself some time if you choose to use the fresh version. Once you separate the pods from the seeds you then want to place the pods in a slow cooker with some spices and herbs and begin to cook it. I discarded the jackfruit pods but after doing some research I found that they are loaded with fiber and if you bake them a bit a lot of people then make them into a hummus. Just a little FYI if you are one of the types of people who like to use everything, to eliminate food waste.
While the jackfruit was slow cooking I quickly pickled some onions using an incredibly simple recipe that allows you to get some pretty good flavors in just a few hours. Also, while the jackfruit was cooking I prepared some of the toppings, starting with BUSH’S® Black Beans. This recipe is vegan so it’s great to know that BUSH’S® offers a ton of vegetarian products including the black beans that I used. BUSH’S Black Beans are actually considered a superfood as they are loaded with protein and fiber and are extremely low in fat. I’m all about using food from folks that I trust and BUSH’S Beans has been around for more than 100 years. Black beans have obviously been around for thousands of years and are still a staple ingredient in several Central and South American cuisines. BUSH’S Black Beans are grown right here in North America and are hand selected to ensure deliciousness and texture. While I’m using them in this Vegan Tacos Recipe, they are great in soups, with rice and a ton of other recipes, such as this black bean salsa.
It was kind of last minute, but I also decided to roast some bell peppers because I thought it could add some great color and flavors to this vegan tacos recipe. Don’t get me wrong there are tons of other flavors in this recipe, but I am always looking to add to the complexity to help push it even further. The combo of the roasted peppers and pickled onions are going to be really good when combined with the sweet and slightly spicy flavors from the jackfruit!
One thing that I haven’t tried much of, outside of the jackfruit, is vegan cheese. I actually didn’t know what to think of it until I really got my hands on it at home. I’ve had it in the store when people are sampling it, but I’ve only had a small nibble and went on my way. When I got to eat more of it, I was shocked at just how good it is. It doesn’t taste exactly like cheese, but I think that’s the beauty of it. So many times I hear people who try the vegan diet and complain that it doesn’t taste like the real thing. My argument is that it doesn’t have to – it has its own delicious flavors that can and should live all by themselves.
Here’s to meatless Monday, #tacotuesday and Lent!! Now go get after this delicious Vegan Tacos Recipes with Jackfruit and Black Beans.
If you love tacos as much as I do then be sure to check out this Blackened Mahi Mahi Fish Tacos Recipe with Mango Salsa as well as this Chicken Tinga Tacos Recipe!
Vegan Tacos Recipes with Jackfruit and Black Beans
For the Jackfruit:
- ½ fresh jackfruit broken down to only pods
- 1 tablespoon each of ground cumin chili powder and oregano
- 2 cups of vegetable stock or water
- Kosher salt and fresh cracked pepper to taste
For the taco:
- 1 peeled and thinly sliced red onion
- 1 cup of red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons of sugar
- 10 corn tortillas
- 1 can of BUSH'S® Black Beans drained and rinsed, heated
- 1 each seeded julienne and quickly sautéed red and green bell pepper
- 2 cups of shredded vegan cheese mozzarella or cheddar, or both
- 2 peeled seeded and large diced avocados
- ½ cup of fresh cilantro leaves
- Jackfruit: Add the jackfruit pods, cumin, chili powder, oregano, vegetable stock and salt and pepper to a slow cooker and cook on hi for 2 hours or until the pods are soft and are easy to shred. Keep warm.
- Taco: Add the red onions, vinegar and sugar to a bowl and mix. Pickle the red onions for at least 30 minutes in the refrigerator.
- To Plate: place some slow cooked jackfruit on a corn tortilla and top off with some heated BUSH'S® Black Beans, sautéed bell peppers, pickled onions, vegan cheese, avocados and cilantro leaves. Repeat until all of the tortillas have been made.