Sauteed Tilapia with Sweet Soy and Asian Salad
Make this coriander crusted sauteed tilapia recipe with homemade sweetened soy sauce and a simple Asian salad.
For the Sweet Soy:
- 1 cup of soy sauce
- 1 cup of brown sugar
- 1/4 cup of honey
- 1/2 cup of water
- juice of 1 lime
- 2 tablespoons of cornstarch
- 2 teaspoons of water
For the Salad:
- 1/2 cup of rice wine vinegar
- juice of 2 limes
- 4 quartered vine ripe tomatoes
- 1 cup of cherry tomatoes cut in half
- 1/4 finely sliced sweet onion
- 1 seeded and small diced cucumber
- 2 tablespoons of chiffonade fresh basil
- 1 tablespoon of chopped fresh optional
- Kosher salt and fresh cracked black pepper to taste
For the Tilapia:
- three 6 to 7 ounce fillets of fresh tilapia
- Crushed coriander seeds optional
- Kosher salt and fresh cracked black pepper
- 2 tablespoons of sesame oil can substitute with vegetable oil
Soy: In a small bowl whisk together the corn starch and 2 teaspoons of water and set aside. Next, bring the soy, 1/4 cup of water, honey and brown sugar to a boil. Once boiling whisk in a small amount of the corn starch-water mixture until it becomes thick (think maple syrup). lastly, finish with lime juice and set aside.
Salad: Mix together vinegar and lime juice and set aside. In a large bowl toss together tomatoes, onions, cucumbers herbs, salt and pepper and a small amount of the vinegar-lime juice dressing. Once mixed in, place in the refrigerator to cool .
Tilapia: Season all the tilapia with salt and pepper and crust with coriander if you desire. Next, in a large saute pan on high heat with 2 tablespoons of sesame oil bring it to the smoking point. Once smoking, place the fish into the pan and immediately turn down the heat to medium-high. Cook for 3 minutes on each side or until golden brown and cooked through.
To Plate: Place a small amount of sweet soy on a plate with the tilapia right on top of it. On the other side of the plate place your salad.