Homemade sloppy joes are a whole lot easier to make then you may have thought, so learn how simple it is to do right from your own kitchen.
If you’re like me, you grew up eating sloppy joe sandwiches as it’s a great simple weeknight meal for the family. Instead of popping a can of who knows what’s in there, learn how to make it from scratch. It’s way more delicious and way easier than you’re thinking.
WHY IS IT CALLED SLOPPY JOE?
It’s been around since the 1950’s and was created by a cook named Joe at a restaurant in Sioux City, Iowa who put a bit of tomato sauce onto some ground beef and served it up on a bun and simply called it a, “sloppy joe.”
WHAT’S IT MADE OF?
A homemade sloppy joe consists of few ingredients including:
- Ground Beef
- Tomato Puree
- Tomato Paste
- Brown Sugar
- Worcestershire Sauce
- Chili Powder
- Salt and Pepper
CHEF TIP: You most likely have most of these ingredients already in your pantry making it really easy to pull off.
IS MANWICH THE SAME THING?
Manwich is a processed and canned sauce that has attempted to replicate the original sauce with its own take. It can be purchased from the grocery store, but I can promise you the homemade version is far superior to this.
HOW TO MAKE A SLOPPY JOE
Follow along below for quick how to steps for making this recipe.
- Sweet some garlic and bell peppers in some oil in a large pot.
- Add in your beef and cook until all the pink is gone.
- Stir in the tomato puree, tomato paste, mustard, brown sugar, Worcestershire sauce and chili powder and simmer over low heat for 25-30 minutes.
- Finish with salt and pepper and serve on a bun.
CHEF NOTE: My recommendation is to take this a step further and add on all the delicious toppings I did such as cheese, caramelized onions and pickles.
IS IT HEALTHY?
I’m not sure I would classify this recipe as “healthy” because it has a high sodium content, but there are ways to reduce that into this recipe by not using Worcestershire sauce and going light on seasoning with salt.
HERE IS WHAT I’D SERVE UP THIS SANDWICH WITH
This recipe is awesome, easy to make and you should definitely make it as soon as possible because your family and kids will love it.
Homemade Sloppy Joe Recipe
For the Sloppy Joe:
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 each seeded and small diced red and yellow bell peppers
- 6 finely minced cloves of garlic
- 4 pounds ground beef
- 2 cups tomato puree
- 3 tablespoons mustard
- ¼ heaping cup light brown sugar
- 4 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 4 tablespoons distilled vinegar
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- Sea salt and cracked pepper
- 10 buns
- Add oil to a large pan over low to medium heat and sweat the peppers and garlic for 5-7 minutes stirring frequently.
- Add in the ground beef, turn the heat to medium and cook until all of the pink is gone, about 7-9 minutes.
- Next, pour in the tomato puree, mustard, brown sugar, Worcestershire sauce, vinegar and chili powder and simmer over low heat for 25-30 minutes.
- Finish by stirring in salt and pepper and serve on buns with optional toppings.
- To Reheat it: Simply add the desired amount of sloppy joe into a saucepan and cook over low heat until hot. You can also heat it in the microwave until hot.
- To Store it: Keep covered in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
- To Freeze it: Keep it covered in the freezer for up to 2 months. Thaw for 1 day in the refrigerator before reheating it.
- This recipe makes a lot of sloppy joes so please scale down or up to fit your needs. Simply place your cursor over the servings amount in the recipe card and slide up or down to scale.