Looking for a great weeknight meal to serve the family with? Try this delicious easy to make classic beef stroganoff recipe that comes together in 30 minutes.
I didn’t grow up eating beef stroganoff, and in fact the only experience I had with it was when I ate over a childhood friend’s house. It was the grossest thing I had ever eaten. Well fast forward 25 years and now I know how to properly make this Russian classic and wow is it nothing short of delicious.
WHAT IS BEEF STROGANOFF
Beef stroganoff is a classical Russian recipe consisting of pan roasted slices of beef that are served in a sour cream sauce. The recipe stems back to the last 1800’s with influence from the Stroganov family.
Its earliest adaptation did not use onions or mushrooms like the many variations of the recipe you may see today.
- CHEF NOTE: In my personal opinion, the addition of caramelized mushrooms and onions elevate the recipe bringing out more umami delicious flavor in addition to only having beef in it.
WHAT CUT OF BEEF IS THE BEST
There are several cuts of beef that work well in a beef stroganoff and here are the best:
Top Sirloin – This lean cut of beef comes from the top portion of the sirloin and is fairly lean and expensive. This is my favorite cut of meat to use for a beef stroganoff recipe.
Strip Sirloin – This cut of beef comes from the sirloin part of the cow and has a great combination of lean to fat and makes for a tasty, but more expensive beef stroganoff.
Filet Mignon – This cut of beef is extremely tender and comes from the upper back portion of the cow and is a very lean cut of beef. Would be awesome in a beef stroganoff but is very expensive.
- CHEF NOTE: Other cuts of beef used are bottom round or beef chuck roast which would be better in a crockpot beef stroganoff so that it could cook for longer periods of time to help tenderize.
WHAT IS STROGANOFF SAUCE MADE OF
Stroganoff sauce is very simply to make and is absolutely delicious. The main ingredients are:
- Oil or Unsalted Butter
- Beef Stock
- Mustard (I prefer whole grain or course ground)
- Sour Cream
- Salt and Pepper
CHEF NOTE: The addition of beef, mushrooms, onions and garlic help to flavor the sauce even more.
HOW TO MAKE IT
STEP 1: Start by adding some oil to a large frying pan or rondeau pot over medium high heat until it begins to lightly smoke.
- CHEF NOTE: It’s important that the pan or pot be large to help caramelize all of the different ingredients which will require a lot of surface area.
STEP 2: Add in the sliced beef and cook for 1 to 2 minutes or until lightly browned.
- CHEF NOTE: Spread the beef across the entire pan to ensure you get a sear on each piece.
STEP 3: Set the beef aside on a plate.
STEP 4: Add some unsalted butter back into the pan where you cooked the beef over medium high heat until it is melted.
STEP 5: Place in the onions and mushrooms and cook until caramelized, about 8-10 minutes.
- CHEF NOTE: You have to take the time to do this portion of the recipe as it will dramatically increase the flavor in this recipe.
STEP 6: Add in the garlic and cook for 1 to 2 minutes while constantly stirring.
STEP 7: Add the beef back into the pot with the cooked mushroom mixture.
STEP 8: Deglaze with brandy and cook until au sec, or almost gone.
- CHEF NOTE: The brandy should evaporate and incorporate into the ingredients in the pan.
STEP 9: Add in the beef stock, bay leaves and mustard and cook over medium-high heat for 8-10 minutes.
- CHEF NOTE: The sauce should be reduced to about ¼ cup to ½ cup.
STEP 10: Cook the wide egg noodle pasta in a large pot of boiling salted water until al dente, about 8-10 minutes.
STEP 11: Finish the beef stroganoff off by stirring in the sour cream, salt, pepper and parsley.
STEP 12: Toss the beef stroganoff with the cooked noodles until combined and serve.
WHAT DO YOU SERVE IT WITH
Classically beef stroganoff is served with cooked rice. Here are some great side dishes to serve with beef stroganoff:
- Cooked Noodles (classically egg noodles)
- Cooked Rice
- Braised Red Cabbage
- Cooked Vegetables
- Potatoes (baked, fried or mashed)
CHEF NOTE: I personally believe beef stroganoff is best served with egg noodles.
SLOW COOKER BEEF STROGANOFF
If you wanted to make beef stroganoff in a slow cooker, here’s how easy it is to do.
Turn the slow cooker to the saute function and add in some oil. Place in the beef and cook until lightly browned, about 2 minutes.
Next, add in the onions, mushrooms and garlic and saute for 6 to 8 minutes or until lightly browned.
Add in the beef stock and bay leaves and cook on low heat for 4-6 hours or until the beef is tender and the beef stock has reduced to ½ cup.
Finish my stirring in the sour cream, salt, pepper and parsley and serve with egg noodles.
- CHEF NOTE: Making this in the slow cooker is a great option if you don’t have time to stand in front of the cook top, plus the meat is really tender.
INSTANT POT STROGANOFF
To make this in an instant pot as a variation to this recipe do the following:
- Turn the instant pot to saute and pour in the oil
- Add in the beef, mushrooms, onions and garlic and saute for 6-8 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Pour in the beef stock and add in the bay leaves
- Place the lid on the instant pot and cook for 20 minutes
- Release the steam
- Finish by stirring in sour cream, salt, pepper, and parsley and serve with egg noodles.
To me the best way to make beef stroganoff is right on the cooktop as it only takes 30 minutes to make and it’s absolutely delicious!
REHEATING: to reheat your beef stroganoff simply add it back to a pot with a little bit of beef stock and cook over low heat until hot. In addition you can reheat in the microwave.
STORING AND FREEZING: to store it, cover it and keep in the refrigerator for up to 4 days. It will freeze covered in plastic for up to 2 months. Thaw for 1 day in the refrigerator before reheating.
*If you are insanely in love with this beef stroganoff recipe then you have to try my Easy Beef Stir Fry, and be sure to drop me a comment below and a rating if you’ve had the chance to make this amazing recipe*
Don’t forget to watch the video below for step by step instructions.
Easy Beef Stroganoff Recipe
- 2 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 pounds of thinly sliced top sirloin
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 thinly sliced white or yellow onion
- 2 cups each sliced cremini and button mushrooms
- 3-4 finely minced cloves of garlic
- 1/3 cup brandy
- 3 cups beef stock
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon coarse ground mustard
- 1 ½ cups sour cream
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley + more for garnish
- 1- pound wide egg noodles boiled and cooked
- sea salt and fresh cracked pepper to taste
- Add some oil to a large pan or pot over medium high heat and cook the beef until lightly browned, 1 to 2 minutes. Set aside on a plate.
- Add butter to the pan and cook the onions and mushrooms until caramelized, about 8-10 minutes.
- Add in the garlic and saute for 1 to 2 minutes before putting the beef back in the pan.
- Deglaze with brand and cook until it’s almost gone.
- Pour in the beef stock and add in the bay leaves and mustard and cook on medium high heat for 8-10 minutes.
- Finish with sour cream, salt, pepper and parsley.
- Toss with noodles and garnish with extra parsley.
• In my personal opinion, the addition of caramelized mushrooms and onions elevate the recipe bringing out more umami delicious flavor in addition to only having beef in it.
• It’s important that the pan or pot be large to help caramelize all of the different ingredients which will require a lot of surface area.
• Spread the beef across the entire pan to ensure you get a sear on each piece.
• The brandy should evaporate and incorporate into the ingredients in the pan.
• The beef stock should be reduced to about ¼ cup to ½ cup before adding in the final ingredients.