Get 5 Secrets to Make Homemade Taste Food Better + New Recipes Weekly!
Published September 25, 2019. This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Nothing more comforting than a homemade bowl of tomato soup with a delicious easy to make grilled cheese that comes together in under 30 minutes.
I can see my mom now. Popping a can of Campbell’s tomato soup and serving it up with some grilled cheese. Tomato soup, not so good. Grilled cheese? Great!
I wanted to give you the best of both worlds by making an insanely delicious homemade tomato soup recipe and then serving it alongside a classic grilled cheese and then one with a twist. If you want to take it to another level then make my croque monsieur.
Is It Good for You
Grilled cheese and tomato soup are as good for you as you’d like to make it. When using things like cream, butter, and American cheese, I wouldn’t say that it’s, “good” for you. However here are some things to make it healthier.
- Use no butter or cream in your tomato soup. Simply add all of the ingredients together and stew it over low heat. Puree it, season it.
- Use 100% whole grain bread with a piece of low-fat cheese or vegan cheese.
- When cooking the grilled cheese, use a healthy fat such as avocado oil or algae oil.
Just like anything, food should be eaten in moderation.
What Goes Well With Tomato Soup Besides Grilled Cheese
There are plenty of things that go well with tomato soup outside of grilled cheese.
- Freshly baked bread
- Avocado toast
- Mashed pea toast
- Garlic bread
Just like I always say, get creative and have fun with it. Try it as a side dish to a main cooked protein like steak.
How Do You Dress up Tomato Soup
There are a few ways you can dress up a tomato soup recipe to help take it over the top and add the complexity of flavors.
- Add parmesan cheese to the top
- Drizzle in some crème Fraiche
- Top off with basil or chive oil
- Garnish with fresh chiffonade basil
- Garnish with fresh thyme
- Finish with shredded mozzarella
- Add sliced mozzarella and bake under the broiler
- Finish with croutons
Remember to add toppings that will complement the tomato soup, not compete with it.
How to Make the Soup
1. Add butter to a large pot along with diced yellow onions and brown.
2. After 5-6 minutes sprinkle in some sugar and cook for a further 7-9 minutes.
3. Add in the garlic and brown with the onions. Once you smell the garlic, it’s done.
4. Pour in the tomatoes and chicken stock and cook for 5 to 6 minutes.
5. Pour in some balsamic vinegar
6. Puree the tomato mixture. If doing it in a blender be sure to remove the center cap of the lid from the blender.
7. Finish with cream, salt, and pepper. Remember, soup gets better with time so it will most likely be even better the next day.
What Is The Best Cheese for Sandwich
It’s a little bit subjective as to what the best cheese is for a grilled cheese sandwich. The two most traditional pieces of cheese used in grilled cheese are American cheese and cheddar cheese. Some other great cheeses are:
- Smoked Gouda
You will want to use soft cheeses for grilled cheese but could add a hard cheese to a soft cheese grilled cheese.
What Goes Good With Grilled Cheese
It is fantastic by itself and also goes great with salads, tomato soup, French fries or a side of vegetables. It’s easy to make and always a fantastic last-minute meal for kids and families. To up your grilled cheese game be sure to check out my alternate one!
How to Make Grilled Cheese
- 1. Add butter to a large pan over low heat until melted.
- 2. Place the bread down into the melted butter and cook for 90 to 2 minutes.
- 3. Flip the bread over and add the fig jam, cheese, and prosciutto to 1 toasted piece of bread and cook for 1 1/2 to 2 minutes.
- 4. Add the other piece of bread to the top of the bread with fig jam, cheese, and prosciutto.
- 5.: Slice and serve.
Next time leave the can on the shelf because this combo is fantastic!
Reheat and Storage
How to Reheat: Add the soup to a small pot and heat over low heat until hot. For the grilled cheese place on a tray and cover in foil and bake in the oven at 350° for 6-7 minutes or until warm and the cheese has melted. Alternatively, you can heat both up in the microwave.
Storing and Freezing: The tomato soup will hold in the refrigerator covered for 5 days. It will also freeze well covered for up to 3 months. The grilled cheese will hold covered in plastic in the fridge for up to 3 days, it will not freeze well.
More Simple Recipes
- Homemade Sloppy Joe Recipe
- Easy beef stir fry recipe
- Beef Stroganoff
- Steak Frites
- Easy Broiled Salmon Recipe
- Philly Cheese Steak
Be sure to follow me on Facebook, Youtube, Instagram, and Pinterest and if you’ve had a chance to make this then definitely drop me a comment and a rating below!
Grilled Cheese Sandwich and Tomato Soup Recipe
For the Tomato Soup:
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 peeled medium diced yellow onion
- 1 ½ tablespoons sugar
- 3 finely minced cloves of garlic
- 2 28- ounce cans san Marzano tomatoes in juice
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- ½ cup heavy whipped cream
- sea salt and pepper to taste
For the Grilled Cheese:
- 4 teaspoons unsalted butter
- 4 slices brioche bread
- 4 teaspoons fig jam
- 2 slices cheddar cheese
- 2 slices smoked gouda cheese
- 2 slices provolone cheese
- 2 slices prosciutto ham
- Tomato Soup: Add the butter to a large pot over medium-low heat until melted.
- Add in the onions and cook for 5–6 minutes before adding in the sugar.
- Mix and cook for a further 7-9 minutes until browned.
- Add in the garlic and cook for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Pour in the tomatoes and stew for 5-6 minutes, add in the chicken stock and then add in the balsamic vinegar.
- Transfer the mixture to a blender and blend on high until smooth.
- Add the soup back to the pot over low heat and stir in cream, salt, and pepper. Keep warm.
- Grilled Cheese: Add the butter to a large grilled or frying pan over low heat until melted.
- Add the brioche and cook for 1 1/2 to 2 minutes or until it is browned and toasted.
- Flip the bread over and spread on the fig jam to two slices of bread.
- Next, layer on 1 slice of cheddar, 1 slice of gouda, 1 slice of provolone and 1 slice of prosciutto over top of the fig jam. Repeat onto the other piece of bread with fig jam. Cook for 1 1/2 to 2 minutes or until it is browned and toasted.
- Add the bread with nothing on it to the tops of the cheese and prosciutto.
- Slice and serve.
- Once you smell the garlic in the tomato soup, it’s done.
- If blending the soup in a blender be sure to remove the center cap of the lid from the blender.
- Remember, soup gets better with time so it will most likely be even better the next day.
- How to Reheat: Add the soup to a small pot and heat over low heat until hot. For the grilled cheese place on a tray and cover in foil and bake in the oven at 350° for 6-7 minutes or until warm and the cheese has melted. Alternatively you can heat both up in the microwave.
- How to Store: The tomato soup will hold in the refrigerator covered for 5 days. The soup will also freeze well covered for up to 3 months. The grilled cheese will hold covered in plastic in the fridge for up to 3 days, it will not freeze well.
This is an amazing soup and the grilled cheese with that fig jam is crazy good! My family loves this so much they request it regularly!
Absolutely loved this soup!
The best tomato soup,I have ever eaten. It is the only tomato soup I cook. No more from the can.
Had it again last night.
How can something so simple be so good!!
In the words of chef Billy, dang delicious!!
thanks for giving it a shot!!
Made this for my hubby and I. He is not crazy about soups but he loved it. So good! This will be a soups I will make more often.
I have made the tomato soup several times. I double or triple the batch and freeze it. It’s so good. I have also made the sandwich and it is also delicious. I have made many of your recipes for my Saturday night guests. You haven’t failed me yet. Thank you so very much for sharing so many recipes. My husband has a heart condition and cannot eat greens. I find it very hard to find recipes with out green food in it. So I leave it out or try to substitute it for something else. And it still has lots of flavour. Keep cooking and keep sharing your recipes and I’ll keep following . . I’m from Newfoundland Canada.
Who doesn’t love a bowl of tomato soup and a grilled cheese!? This tomato soup is delicious! It now makes regular appearances on our table!
Chef Parisi, I love listening to and watching you. I made your Grilled Cheese sandwich tonight. I didn’t have any fig jam so I substituted Red Pepper jelly. It was fantastic! Thank you so much.
My husband loves tomato soup (canned) with a grilled cheese sandwich (basic low fat sliced cheese and low calorie bread). Last night I decided to surprise him with your recipes, and I followed them preciously. To say he LOVED the meal is an understatement and he’s still giving me high praise. This was my first time cooking a homemade soup and your recipe/video where easy to follow. I’m going to share this recipe with my sister but she doesn’t eat pork. Is there a substitute for the prosciutto ham? Thank you for the terrific recipes.
The best tomato soup ever!!! Thank you, chef Parisi. Your recipes are the best.
Chef, the recipe does not list blending the basil like it does in the video. You are right, the fresh basil blended in gives it a special flavor! This was is FANTASTIC!
The best homemade tomato soup I’ve ever had.
Thank you Billy!
This made such a perfect and simple lunch for my daughter and myself. We loved it!
This recipe takes a classic to a whole new level. The soup is rich and creamy and this is the best twist on grilled cheese.
My favorite fall comfort food!
Can never go wrong with grilled cheese and tomato soup! LOVE this recipe!
The perfect comforting lunch! So delicious
I’m not usually a fan of tomato soup (especially the stuff from a can) but your version is so tasty – savory and a touch sweet, and creamy all at the same time! Love the idea of prosciutto in the grilled cheese, it’s a nice deviation from bacon! Personally I love having a combination on cheeses in my grilled cheese…a little Asiago cheese spread, a slice of cheddar, and a sprinkle of bleu cheese…heaven. 🙂