Nothing more comforting then a homemade bowl of tomato soup with a delicious easy to make grilled cheese that comes together in under 30 minutes.
I can see my mom now. Popping a can of Campbells tomato soup and serving it up with some grilled cheese. Tomato soup, not so good. Grilled cheese? Great!
I wanted to give you the best of both worlds by making an insanely delicious homemade tomato soup recipe and then serving it alongside a classic grilled cheese and then one with a twist.
IS IT GOOD FOR YOU
Grilled cheese and tomato soup is as good for you as you’d like to make it. When using things like cream, butter and American cheese, I wouldn’t say that its, “good” for you. However here are some things to make it healthier.
- Use no butter or cream in your tomato soup. Simple add all of the ingredients together and stew it over low heat. Puree it, season it.
- Use 100% whole grain bread with a low-fat cheese or vegan cheese.
- When cooking the grilled cheese, use a healthy fat such as avocado oil or algae oil.
CHEF NOTE: Just like anything, food should be eaten in moderation.
WHAT GOES WELL WITH TOMATO SOUP BESIDES GRILLED CHEESE
There are plenty of things that go well with tomato soup outside of grilled cheese.
- Fresh baked bread
- Avocado toast
- Mashed pea toast
- Garlic bread
- Cheese board
CHEF NOTE: Just like I always say, get creative and have fun with it. Try it as a side dish to a main cooked protein like steak.
HOW DO YOU DRESS UP TOMATO SOUP
There are a few ways you can dress up a tomato soup recipe to help take it over the top and add the complexity of flavors.
- Add parmesan cheese to the top
- Drizzle in some crème fraiche
- Top off with basil or chive oil
- Garnish with fresh chiffonade basil
- Garnish with fresh thyme
- Finish with shredded mozzarella
- Add sliced mozzarella and bake under the broiler
- Finish with croutons
CHEF NOTE: Remember to add toppings that will compliment the tomato soup, not compete with it. If you have no clue what tomatoes go with, then BUY THIS BOOK (that’s an affiliate link which allows me to make a few extra $$)
HOW TO MAKE TOMATO SOUP
STEP 1: Add butter to a large pot along with diced yellow onions and brown.
STEP 2: After 5-6 minutes sprinkle in some sugar and cook for a further 7-9 minutes.
STEP 3: Add in the garlic and brown with the onions.
- CHEF NOTE: Once you smell the garlic, it’s done.
STEP 4: Pour in the tomatoes and chicken stock and cook for 5 to 6 minutes.
STEP 5: Pour in some balsamic vinegar
STEP 6: Puree the tomato mixture.
- CHEF NOTE: If doing it in a blender be sure to remove the center cap of the lid from the blender.
STEP 7: Finish with cream, salt and pepper.
- CHEF NOTE: Remember, soup gets better with time so it will most likely be even better the next day.
WHAT IS THE BEST CHEESE FOR GRILLED CHEESE SANDWICH
It’s a little bit subjective as to what the best cheese is for a grilled cheese sandwich. The two most traditional cheeses used in grilled cheese are American cheese and cheddar cheese. Some other great cheeses are:
- Smoked Gouda
CHEF NOTE: You will want to use soft cheeses for a grilled cheese, but could add a hard cheese to a soft cheese grilled cheese.
WHAT IS GOOD WITH GRILLED CHEESE
It is fantastic by itself and also goes great with salads, tomato soup, French fries or a side of vegetables. It’s easy to make and always a fantastic last minute meal for kids and families.
- CHEF NOTE: To up your grilled cheese game be sure to check out my alternate one!
HOW TO MAKE IT
STEP 1: Add butter to a large pan over low heat until melted.
STEP 2: Place the bread down into the melted butter and cook for :90 to 2 minutes.
STEP 3: Flip the bread over and add the fig jam, cheese and prosciutto to 1 toasted piece of bread and cook for :90 to 2 minutes.
STEP 4: Add the other piece of bread to the top of the bread with fig jam, cheese and prosciutto.
STEP 5: Slice and serve.
Next time leave the can on the shelf, because this combo is fantastic!
REHEATING: Add the soup to a small pot and heat over low heat until hot. For the grilled cheese place on a tray and cover in foil and bake in the oven at 350° for 6-7 minutes or until warm and the cheese has melted. Alternatively you can heat both up in the microwave.
STORING AND FREEZING: The tomato soup will hold in the refrigerator covered for 5 days. It will also freeze well covered for up to 3 months. The grilled cheese will hold covered in plastic in the fridge for up to 3 days, it will not freeze well.
*If you absolutely love this grilled cheese recipe then you have to try my other easy recipe for Easy beef stir fry recipe and my Beef Stroganoff, and be sure to drop me a comment below and a rating if you’ve had the chance to make this.*
Don’t forget to watch the video below!
Grilled Cheese Sandwich and Tomato Soup Recipe
For the Tomato Soup:
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 peeled medium diced yellow onion
- 1 ½ tablespoons sugar
- 3 finely minced cloves of garlic
- 2 28- ounce cans san Marzano tomatoes in juice
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- ½ cup heavy whipped cream
- sea salt and pepper to taste
For the Grilled Cheese:
- 4 teaspoons unsalted butter
- 4 slices brioche bread
- 4 teaspoons fig jam
- 2 slices cheddar cheese
- 2 slices smoked gouda cheese
- 2 slices provolone cheese
- 2 slices prosciutto ham
- Tomato Soup: Add the butter to a large pot over medium-low heat until melted.
- Add in the onions and cook for 5–6 minutes before adding in the sugar.
- Mix and cook for a further 7-9 minutes until browned.
- Add in the garlic and cook for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Pour in the tomatoes and stew for 5-6 minutes and then add in the balsamic vinegar.
- Transfer the mixture to a blender and blend on high until smooth.
- Add the soup back to the pot over low heat and stir in cream, salt and pepper. Keep warm.
- Grilled Cheese: Add the butter to a large grilled or frying pan over low heat until melted.
- Add the brioche and cook for :90 to 2 minutes or until it is browned and toasted.
- 1Flip the bread over and spread on the fig jam to two slices of bread.
- 1Next, layer on 1 slice of cheddar, 1 slice of gouda, 1 slice of provolone and 1 slice of prosciutto over top of the fig jam. Repeat onto the other piece of bread with fig jam. cook for :90 to 2 minutes or until it is browned and toasted.
- 1Add the bread with nothing on it to the tops of the cheese and prosciutto.
- 1Slice and serve.
- Once you smell the garlic in the tomato soup, it’s done.
- If blending the soup in a blender be sure to remove the center cap of the lid from the blender.
- Remember, soup gets better with time so it will most likely be even better the next day.
- REHEATING TOMATO SOUP AND GRILLED CHEESE: Add the soup to a small pot and heat over low heat until hot. For the grilled cheese place on a tray and cover in foil and bake in the oven at 350° for 6-7 minutes or until warm and the cheese has melted. Alternatively you can heat both up in the microwave.
- STORING AND FREEZING TOMATO SOUP AND GRILLED CHEESE: The tomato soup will hold in the refrigerator covered for 5 days. The soup will also freeze well covered for up to 3 months. The grilled cheese will hold covered in plastic in the fridge for up to 3 days, it will not freeze well.