Get 5 Secrets to Make Homemade Taste Food Better + New Recipes Weekly!
Published September 23, 2022. This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
You will love the flavors in this easy-to-make roasted garlic butter recipe that would finish any meal to perfection. The roasted garlic flavors in this are exquisite and will make everything taste better.
I am big into flavored butter and believe it can turn any dish into a wonderful balance of flavor. If you want to try out some fun butter, try my Honey Butter or even how to make Homemade Butter. Yes, it’s way better.
Roasted Garlic Butter
Roasted garlic butter is a simple compound butter consisting of roasted garlic, softened butter, herbs (I used chives), salt, and pepper that is combined or whipped together. This is a very simple recipe that can be used in various ways. You can finish steak, chicken, pork, fish, pasta, or vegetables with this to greatly enhance the flavor of the food.
There are some customizations you can make to make this to your liking. See the chef’s notes below.
Ingredients to Make Roasted Garlic Butter
- Roasted Garlic – I used freshly roasted garlic cloves for this, but garlic confit will also work.
- Butter – Use softened unsalted butter for this dish to control the salt content, not a butter company.
- Chives – Sliced fresh chives are used for subtle onion flavor and color.
Add the roasted garlic cloves to a medium-sized bowl and mash with the back side of a fork. It’s ok if there are some chunks.
Next, add in the room-temperature softened unsalted butter and chopped fresh chives.
Season with salt and pepper.
Mash the ingredients together until incorporated. Adjust any seasonings and store or serve. This would go well on my garlic bread recipe.
Make-Ahead and Storage
Make-Ahead: You can make this up to 5 days ahead of time. Keep in the refrigerator or freezer until you are ready to use it.
How to Store: Cover and keep the refrigerator for up to 7 days. Cover and freeze for up to 6 months.
Chef Notes + Tips
- You can use this butter directly from the freezer in whatever you want to use it in.
- Feel free to add the mashed garlic and chives to a stand mixer or food processor with whipped butter for a lighter, fluffier version of this. See my herb compound butter for detailed instructions.
- You can use other fresh herbs such as parsley, oregano, basil, thyme, chervil, or rosemary.
- To enhance the flavor, consider adding some acid, such as citrus juice or vinegar.
- You may need a fork to help wiggle out the roasted garlic cloves.
Recipes to Use It On
Roasted Garlic Butter Recipe
- 2 roasted garlic bulbs
- 2 sticks softened unsalted butter
- ¼ cups chopped fresh chives
- sea salt and pepper to taste
- Squeeze the garlic bulb to release the roasted garlic cloves into a medium-sized bowl and mash with the back side of a fork. It’s ok if there are some chunks.
- Next, add in the room-temperature softened unsalted butter and chopped fresh chives.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Mash the ingredients together until incorporated. Adjust any seasonings and store or serve. See notes on using a stand mixer.