Get 5 Secrets to Make Homemade Taste Food Better + New Recipes Weekly!
Published September 23, 2022. This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
This fool-proof roasted garlic recipe makes perfect golden brown roasted garlic every time for the perfect topping to any dish. You will love easily this comes together and the amazing flavor it has.
Roasted garlic consists of garlic cloves that are still intact with the bulb that is roasted with a small amount of oil and covered with foil, and cooked in the oven until golden brown and tender. It is a very simple way to enhance the flavor of garlic, and it is delicious when served up by itself or added to the top of steak, pork, fish, chicken, or vegetables.
This is one of the easiest and least expensive side dishes you can make to accompany just about any meal. When serving it, squeeze the bulb to push out the roasted garlic cloves.
Ingredients and Substitutions
- Garlic – Regular garlic bulbs are used in this recipe.
- Oil – I prefer olive oil, but you can use your favorite.
How to Roast Garlic
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Peel the outside layers of the garlic bulb until the cloves are exposed but still connected to the bulb.
Next, slice about a ½” inch of the opposite end of the top of the head of garlic to expose the raw shelled garlic cloves.
Drizzle some olive oil onto a piece of aluminum foil and place the garlic bulb cut side down right onto the oil.
Wrap the garlic in the foil up to close and bake at 400° for about 30 minutes or until the garlic is deeply golden brown and soft. Let the garlic cool, and then serve.
Make-Ahead and Storage
Make-Ahead: You can make roasted garlic up to 3 days ahead of time.
How to Store: Cover and keep them in the refrigerator for up to 7 days. These do not freeze well.
How to Reheat: I prefer to eat roasted garlic warm, so I wrap them in foil and heat them in the oven at 350° for 8 to 10 minutes before serving them.
Chef Notes + Tips
- You can also achieve similar flavors if you submerge them in enough olive oil to cover them in a pot and cooking at low heat for about 45 minutes or until golden brown and soft. This is known as garlic confit. instructions.
- If you have an elephant garlic bulb, you need to increase the time by 20 to 25 minutes.
- You can cook multiple heads of garlic at a time when making this recipe.
- The roasted garlic cloves would go great in salad dressing.
Recipes with Roasted Garlic
Roasted Garlic Recipe
- 6 garlic bulbs
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 foot aluminum foil sheet
- Preheat the oven to 400°.
- Peel the outside layers of the garlic bulbs until the cloves are exposed but connected to the bulb.
- Next, slice about a ½” inch of the opposite end of the root end to expose the raw shelled garlic cloves.
- Drizzle the olive oil onto the center of a piece of aluminum foil and place the garlic bulb cut side down right onto the oil.
- Wrap the foil up to close and bake at 400° for about 30 to 35 minutes or until the garlic is golden brown and soft. Serve.