Get 5 Secrets to Make Homemade Taste Food Better + New Recipes Weekly!
Published June 7, 2022. This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
This easy-to-make homemade garlic bread recipe comes together in under 15 minutes and is the perfect side dish to serve up at any meal. Take your garlic bread to the next level with a little parmesan cheese on top.
Garlic bread as we know it today is an American-Italian dish consisting of garlic butter spread on sliced French or Italian bread that is then baked until slightly toasted on top. However, if you were served garlic bread in the Mediterranean you would notice a variety of toppings to bread including onions, olives, and roasted garlic, among other ingredients.
If you are looking for a very easy way to add a tasty side dish to a meal, then this is it. Don’t forget to check out the video of my Sausage and Italian Pasta recipe where I show you how to do this step-by-step.
Ingredients You’ll Need
- Bread – I prefer to use good Italian or French bread.
- Butter – Always use unsalted butter and make sure it is at room temperature.
- Garlic – 2 to 3 garlic cloves work well but feel free to add to your liking.
- Herbs and Seasonings – I added parsley into the butter for some color, but it is not necessary. You will also need salt and pepper to season the bread.
How to Make Homemade Garlic Bread
Use these easy-to-follow instructions to make this tasty homemade garlic bread from scratch:
Mix the softened unsalted butter with finely minced garlic, parsley salt, and pepper. Set aside.
Next, slice the loaf of bread in half longways.
Evenly divide the butter and spread it onto each sliced half of bread on the cut side.
Place on a cookie sheet tray lined with parchment paper and bake at 350° for 8 to 10 minutes.
Remove the pan and sprinkle on some shredded parmesan cheese and place under the broiler for 2 minutes or until lightly toasted.
Make-Ahead and Storage
Make-Ahead: This is meant to be eaten as soon as it is done cooking. You can, however, keep it warm in the oven at very low temperatures (200° F) for up to 30 minutes before serving, but it may tend to dry out.
How to Store: Cover and keep in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. This will not freeze well.
How to Reheat: Wrap the desired amount in foil and bake in the oven at 350° for 6-8 minutes or until hot.
Chef Notes + Tips
- You can use any kind of loaf-style bread when making this recipe.
- Feel free to replace the butter with a 1/3 cup of olive oil.
What to Serve It With
Homemade Garlic Bread Recipe
- 1 stick of softened unsalted butter
- 3 finely minced garlic cloves
- 1 tablespoon finely minced parsley
- 1 loaf of French or Italian bread, sliced in half longways
- ½ cup shredded parmesan cheese, optional
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 350°.
- In a bowl mix the butter, garlic, parsley, salt, and pepper together until combined. Set aside.
- Next, evenly spread the garlic butter on to each sliced half of bread on the cut side.
- Place the bread on a sheet tray lined with parchment paper and bake at 350°.
- Take the bread out of the oven and evenly sprinkle the cheese on top and then place it under the broiler for 2 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Slice and serve.