Pork Chops with Bacon, Apple Butter & Sweet Potatoes
Be sure to try this delicious Pork Chops with Bacon, Apple Butter & Sweet Potatoes that is sure to wow your family!
For the Hash and Pork:
- 2 cloves of finely minced garlic
- 2 sweet potatoes peeled and small diced
- ½ sweet onion small diced
- 1 bell pepper small diced
- 8 strips of thick cut bacon sliced thin
- 2 thick cut pork chops
- 4 green onions thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons of chopped fresh sage
- Kosher salt and fresh cracked pepper to taste
For the Apple Butter:
- 4 peeled, cored and small diced granny smith apples
- 4 ounces of unsalted butter
- ¼ cup of sherry wine
- ½ cup of simple syrup (equal parts sugar and water boiled together)
- zest of 1 lemon
- ½ teaspoon of ground cinnamon
- In a large cast iron skillet render the bacon fat. Once the bacon is crispy set it to the side. Season the pork chops on both sides with salt and pepper and caramelize them in the rendered bacon fat. Once brown, remove the pork from the cast iron skillet. Drain ¾ of the fat in the skillet and add in potatoes, garlic, onion, bell pepper and caramelize. Once brown mix in the crispy cooked bacon, green onions, sage, salt and pepper. Place the par cooked pork chops on top of the hash and put the entire skillet into the oven at 375° for 15 to 20 minutes.
- While the pork and hash are cooking add 1 ounce of butter to a pot on high heat. Once melted add in the apples and brown. After they are slightly brown add in the sherry and cook until the liquid is almost gone. Next, add in the simple syrup and cook for 5 minutes. Finish off with the remaining amount of butter, lemon zest and cinnamon.
- Top off the pork chops with the apple butter once everything is finished cooking.