Get 5 Secrets to Make Homemade Taste Food Better + New Recipes Weekly!
Published September 27, 2019. This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
A delicious 5 ingredient stew loaded with green beans, chunks of ham and tender potatoes that makes for the perfect weekend meal. To keep the Southern cooking going, definitely make my Creamy Shrimp and Grits or BBQ Chicken Sliders!
The delicious combination of ham and beans has been around for centuries. Whether it’s a dried legume or a fresh green bean, the saltiness from the pork always compliments it to perfection. This incredibly easy to make homemade Ham Green Beans and Potatoes Stew is a staple and has been made in my family for over 75 years.
How Do You Cut Fresh Green Beans
The absolute most difficult procedure in this ham green beans and potatoes stew is cutting the fresh green beans, which isn’t hard at all, it just takes some time. I used 5 pounds of green beans in this recipe and it took about 12-15 minutes o cut all of them.
There are a few ways you can cut green beans.
- You can hold a bean in one hand and using a small paring knife in the other, snip the end off of the green bean. From there you can leave it whole or cut it in half.
- Another way is to line up 5-8 green beans next to each other with the stem end facing the same way and then using a knife cut off the ends. From there you can also leave the green beans whole or cut them in half.
- Last but not least you can snap green beans which is where you simply break off the stem end by using both hands so that it “snaps off.” From there you can and either leave the green beans whole or snap them in half.
All of these cutting techniques will render the exact same result so however, you do choose to do it, is up to you.
What Is Salt Pork
Salt pork is a salt-cured piece of fatty pork belly. Since the salt pork is never smoked the saltiness and cure is stronger making it a fantastic ingredient to season up whatever you are cooking. The longer it is cooked, the more flavor comes out.
What Kind of Ham to use
This recipe is fantastic right after thanksgiving or Christmas because everyone always has a big old hunk of ham lying around which would be perfect in this ham, green beans, and potatoes stew recipe.
If you are making it just as a weekend meal then you can buy a chunk of boneless ham that is cut into roughly 1” cubes.
If you are buying a bone-in ham you can add it right to the pot at the very beginning with the green beans, salt pork, and onion and cook it over low heat. The low long cook times will allow the ham to fall right off the bone which you can then cut into smaller chunks or break up in the pot. Remember to discard the bone!
Remember you want whole ham, DO NOT buy pre spiralized cut ham.
How to Make It
1. Trim the green bean ends by snipping them, cutting them off or snapping them off.
2. Place the trimmed green beans in a large pot.
3. Add a whole peeled onion to the pot with the green beans.
4.: Add in a chunk of salt pork to the pot as well.
5. Fill the pot up with water until it is about 1 inch over the green beans and cook on low to medium heat for 4 hours. The longer you can cook this the better, more flavorful and tender everything will be
6. Add the cut potatoes and ham to the pot and cook on low to medium heat for 1 hour, or until the potatoes are tender.
7. Season with salt and pepper and serve.
How to Freeze
Yes, you can freeze your green beans and potatoes with ham. It is imperative to ensure your potatoes are just done when serving it and then cooling it before it goes into the freezer. If you overcook your potatoes, they will turn mushy as you reheat them from the freezer.
This stew is the very epitome of comfort food. It’s delicious, it’s easy to make and the memories that have come from making this my entire life are forever engrained onto my heart and mind. If you prefer more al dente style beans then definitely check out my boiled green beans with butter glaze recipe.
Recipe Chef Notes + Tips
How to Reheat: To reheat the stew simply add your desired portion to a small saucepot and heat over low heat until hot. You can also simply add your desired portion to a microwave-safe bowl and heat for 2:30 stirring after 1:15.
How to Store: The ham, green beans, and potatoes stew will hold well in the refrigerator covered up for up to 5 days. It will also freeze well covered for up to 3 months. Simply pull it out as you need it and reheat following the directions above.
More Comfort Food Recipes
Ham Green Beans and Potatoes Stew
- 3-5 pounds of trimmed green beans
- 2 small or 1 large peeled yellow onion
- 1 pound salt pork
- 3 pounds large diced russet potatoes, peelings optional
- 3 pounds ham, cut into 1” cubes
- Add the beans, onion and salt pork to an extra-large pot and fill it up with water until the beans are covered by 1 inch.
- Cook over low to medium heat for 4 hours, remember the longer the better so you can go up to 8 hours here.
- Add in the potatoes and ham after the 4 hour cooking time and continue to cook for 1 hour or until the potatoes are tender.
- Season with salt and pepper and serve.
- All of the cutting techniques for the green beans will render the exact same result so, however, you do choose to do it, is up to you.
- The longer the stew is cooked, the more flavor comes out.
- Remember you want whole ham, DO NOT buy pre spiralized cut ham.
- How to Reheat: To reheat the stew simply add your desired portion to a small sauce pot and heat over low heat until hot. You can also simply add your desired portion to microwave safe bowl and heat for 2:30 stirring after 1:15.
- How to Store: The ham, green beans and potatoes stew will hold well in the refrigerator covered up for up to 5 days. It will also freeze well covered for up to 3 months. Simply pull it out as you need it and reheat following the directions above.