Get 5 Secrets to Make Homemade Taste Food Better + New Recipes Weekly!
Published June 1, 2022. This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
This Strawberry shortcake Recipe with Homemade Biscuits and Fresh Whipped Cream is the absolute perfect spring and summertime recipe. You will love how flaky and tender the biscuits are and just how perfect they go with the strawberries and whipped cream.
If you absolutely love desserts and are always looking to up your game when it comes to impressing family and friends then you should try my Crème Brulee or Key Lime Pie in addition to this strawberry shortcake.
Strawberry shortcake is a dessert consisting of a rich large, sweet biscuit that is sliced and layered with sweetened fresh strawberries and whipped cream. While shortcake is often thought of as a dessert, savory versions are often made and served with some sort of gravy or filling.
The original strawberry shortcake recipe created in the mid-19th century looks a bit different than today’s version. It used uncooked meringue and a more shortbread type dough and cookie. It has since evolved over the years to what it is today using sweet biscuits, whipped cream, and sweetened strawberries.
Ingredients and Substitutions
- Strawberries – Use fresh sliced strawberries for this recipe. You can use frozen, but the flavor will be altered, and the strawberries will become very mushy once coated in the simple syrup.
- Simple Syrup – I like to use a cool simple syrup to coat the strawberries.
- Whipped Cream – Homemade whipped cream is always best for this recipe.
- Flour – Use all-purpose flour for this recipe.
- Baking Powder – This will help the biscuits to rise.
- Baking Soda – Another leavening agent that will help elevate the biscuits.
- Eggs – These will provide flavor, structure, and leavening.
- Salt – Always season your baked goods with salt.
- Butter – Use ice-cold unsalted butter sticks.
- Buttermilk – Any good whole fat buttermilk will work.
How to Make Strawberry Shortcake from Scratch
Follow these easy step-by-step instructions and images to make this amazing strawberry shortcake recipe from scratch:
Slice the strawberries and mash about a ½ cup of them.
Toss the mashed strawberries with the remaining cut ones and mix with some cold simple syrup. Place in the refrigerator until ready to use.
Prepare the whipped cream according to the recipe and keep it cool in the refrigerator until it is ready to be used.
Next, whisk together all the dry ingredients in a large bowl.
Fold in the shredded cold butter to the dry ingredients and then use your hand to make a well.
Pour the whisked egg and buttermilk together into the well and use a fork to combine the ingredients to form a very thick dough.
Transfer that dough to a clean surface and roll it out until it’s about 1” thick.
Using a round cookie cutter make circle cut biscuits and place them in a 10” cast iron skillet or pan, or a 13×9 casserole dish that’s been lined with parchment paper and sprayed with no-stick spray.
Reroll out leftover dough and continue to make biscuits until all the dough has been used.
Brush the tops of the biscuits with leftover egg and buttermilk and then sprinkle on some sugar in the raw and bake at 375° for 20 to 25 minutes.
let cool completely on a rack.
Slice the biscuits in half or in thirds and layer with whipped cream and strawberries between the biscuit layers and serve.
Make-Ahead and Storage
Make-Ahead: You can make the biscuits, strawberries, and whipped cream up to 2 days ahead of time if they are stored separately.
How to Store: Cover the strawberries in a container or a bowl and keep them in the refrigerator for up to 4 days. The biscuits can be stored covered at room temperature for 3 days or in the refrigerator covered for up to 5 days. The strawberries and biscuits will both freeze separately and be covered for up to 3 months. Thaw in the refrigerator for 1 day before serving.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the difference between strawberry cake and strawberry shortcake?
- Strawberry cake is typically a lighter layered cake with strawberries cooked in it. Strawberry shortcake uses sweet biscuits layered with whipped cream and strawberries.
Is shortcake the same as pound cake?
- No, pound cake is a completely different batter and cake, while shortcakes are sweet biscuits.
Chef Notes + Tips
- If you do not want to use simple syrup, you can toss the fresh-cut strawberries with a ½ cup of granulated sugar or ¾ cup of powdered sugar.
- When rolling out the dough your surface area does not need to be dusted with flour but if it starts to stick a little then I recommend doing it.
More Dessert Recipes
Homemade Strawberry Shortcake Recipe
- 1 quart of hulled and quartered fresh strawberries
- ¾ cup cold simple syrup
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 ¼ stick cold unsalted butter, shredded
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup + 2 tablespoons buttermilk
- ½ whipped cream recipe
- sugar in the raw for garnish
- Take about a ½ cup of the strawberries and mash them in a medium-size bowl using a hand masher or fork.
- Next, add in the remaining cut strawberries and toss them with the simple syrup. Cover and keep in the refrigerator until you’re ready to use them.
- In a large bowl whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and sugar until combined.
- Fold in the shredded cold butter until mixed in and then form a well with your hand.
- In a separate small bowl whisk together the eggs and buttermilk. Reserve 2 tablespoons in a small bowl for later.
- Pour the egg mixture to the center of the well and use a fork to combine all the ingredients to form a thick dough.
- Transfer the dough to a clean surface and roll out the dough until it is roughly 1” thick.
- Use a circle cookie cutter to make a circle that is about 2 inches across and place them in a 10” cast iron skillet or pan, or a 13×9 casserole dish that’s been lined with parchment paper and sprayed with no-stick spray. You should get a total of 8 biscuits.
- Reroll out leftover dough after taking out the first biscuit rounds and continue to make biscuits until all the dough has been used.
- Brush the tops of the biscuits with leftover egg and buttermilk mixture and then sprinkle on some sugar in the raw and bake at 375° for 25 to 30 minutes or until browned on top and cooked throughout.
- let cool completely on a rack.
- Slice the biscuits in half or in thirds and layer with whipped cream and strawberries between the biscuit layers and serve.