Get 5 Secrets to Make Homemade Taste Food Better + New Recipes Weekly!
Published November 5, 2021. This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
This easy-to-make pecan pie recipe with homemade pie crust is the perfect after-dinner dessert or early morning sweet treat with coffee.
We have a serious sweet tooth problem in our house. Whether it’s ice cream or a cookie, my family is always asking me to make more dessert recipes. If you want to expand the desserts you offer up, then check out my Cannoli recipe or homemade churros.
Pecan pie was created in the United States as pecans, and the pecan tree is native to the country. Pecans in general have been enjoyed for centuries and were helped spread by Native Americans. The pie was said to be created by a Texas woman who submitted her recipe to a charity cookbook for a church in St. Louis in the last 19th century. However, the pie was not popularized until the mass production of Karo syrup came to fruition in the 1920s.
One thing that is certain is that people have been jacking up the pronunciation of this pie forever. It’s Pa-Kawn, not Pee-Can, nor Puh-Can, nor anything in between. The general ingredients for this include:
- Karo Syrup
- Pie Crust
Light or Dark Karo Syrup for Pecan Pie?
You can use either light, dark, or a combination of both corn syrups in this pie recipe. When using light corn syrup, I prefer to offset with light brown sugar to aid in the color of the filling. If you are using dark corn syrup, then use regular granulated sugar.
How to Make Pecan Pie
Follow along with these simple instructions for making this homemade pecan pie from scratch:
- Make your homemade pie crust, form it into your pie dish or tin, and place it in the freezer while making the filling.
- Add the eggs to a large bowl and whisk until they are completely scrambled.
- Next, whisk in the Karo syrup, brown sugar, and vanilla until mixed in. At this stage is when you would want to add in things like orange zest, molasses, bourbon, or rum.
- Finish by mixing in 3/4 of the pecans using a whisk or a rubber spatula.
- Pour the filling into the pre-made pie crust.
- Using the remaining 1 cup of pecans decoratively place them onto the top of the pecan pie filling.
- Bake in the oven for 60-70 minutes at 350° or until the center has set and is firm. It can have a very slight giggle.
- Remove from the oven and place on a rack and cool completely to room temperature, which can take several hours.
Bourbon Pecan Pie
There are definitely variations in flavor to a classic pecan pie to alter it to your liking for example, here are a few things you can add to the filling:
- Bourbon – 1 to 2 tablespoons
- Rum – 1 to 2 tablespoons
- Orange Zest – 1 orange
- Lemon Zest – 1 lemon
- Molasses – 2 tablespoons
- Chocolate Chips – 1/2 cup milk chocolate
Recipe Chef Notes + Tips
Make-Ahead: You can make this recipe up to 2 days ahead of time. After it’s cooled, cover, and keep it in the refrigerator. Pull it out and let it sit at room temperature the day you are ready to serve it
How to Store: Cover and keep in the refrigerator for up to 7 days. Cover and keep in the freezer for up to 6 months. Thaw in the refrigerator for 1 day or until softened before serving.
I absolutely love serving pecan pie up with ice cream and homemade caramel.
If cooking on convection, bake this pie at 325°.
You may need more than 1 cup of pecans to decorate the top of the pie.
If you notice the pie shell starting to darken too fast or the pecans are starting to darken too fast, gently lay a piece of foil over top to protect.
More Amazing Dessert Recipes
Be sure to follow me on Facebook, YouTube, Instagram, and Pinterest, and if you’ve had a chance to make this recipe then definitely drop me a comment and a rating below.
Homemade Pecan Pie Recipe
- 1 pie crust
- 4 large eggs
- 2 cups light Karo corn syrup
- 1/4 cup melted unsalted butter
- 1 cup packed light brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon bourbon
- 4 cups pecan halves
- Preheat the oven to 350°.
- Form the pie crust to a pie tin or shell and place in the freezer until ready to use.
- In a large bowl whisk the eggs until they are scrambled and smooth.
- Next, add in the syrup, brown sugar, butter, vanilla, and bourbon and whisk until completely mixed in and very smooth. There should be no lumps at all.
- Add in ¾ of the pecans and fold in using a rubber spatula or you can gently whisk them in.
- Remove the pie shell in the tin from the freezer and pour the pecan pie filling into the pie shell. Scrape all if using a rubber spatula.
- Using the remaining 1 cup of pecans, or more, decorate the top of the pie in your desired fashion.
- Bake in the oven on the middle rack at 350° for 75-90 minutes or until the pie shell is lightly browned and the center is firm and it reads 200° internally.
- Remove from the oven and add it to a rack and cool it completely until it reaches room temperature.
Yes! Except I used a store bought crust and VERY lightly brushed bacon fat in the pie pan before I rolled out into my pie dish. This recipe is a 10 out of 10!
Thanks for giving it a shot!!