Get 5 Secrets to Make Homemade Taste Food Better + New Recipes Weekly!
Published November 20, 2023. This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
This easy-to-make pecan pie recipe with homemade pie crust is the perfect after-dinner dessert or early-morning sweet treat with coffee. The flavors in this classic pie are incredible.
We have a serious sweet tooth problem in our house. My family always asks me to make more dessert recipes, whether it’s ice cream or a cookie. If you want to expand your desserts, check out my Cannoli recipe or homemade churros.
Pecan pie was created in the United States as pecans, and the pecan tree is native to the country. Pecans, in general, have been enjoyed for centuries and were helped spread by Native Americans.
The pie was said to have been created by a Texas woman who submitted her recipe to a charity cookbook for a church in St. Louis in the last 19th century. However, the pie was not popularized until the mass production of Karo syrup came to fruition in the 1920s.
One certain thing is that people have been jacking up the pronunciation of this pie forever. It’s Pa-Kawn, not Pee-Can, Puh-Can, or anything in between.
Ingredients and Substitutions
- Pecans – Pecan halves are what is needed for this pie
- Butter – I use unsalted butter in my cooking and baking to control the salt content, not a butter company.
- Eggs – You will need large, chilled eggs or at room temperature.
- Syrup – You can use either light, dark, or a combination of corn syrups.
- Sugar – I used light brown sugar in my pecan pie. However, you can use dark brown sugar or regular granulated sugar.
- Vanilla – Any good vanilla extract will work.
- Pie Crust – You will need 1 pie crust for this recipe.
How to Make Pecan Pie from Scratch
Make your homemade pie crust, form it into your pie dish or tin, and place it in the freezer while filling.
Add the eggs to a large bowl and whisk until completely scrambled.
Next, whisk in the Karo syrup, brown sugar, and vanilla until mixed in. You would want to add things like orange zest, molasses, bourbon, or rum at this stage.
Finish by mixing in 3/4 of the pecans using a whisk or a rubber spatula.
Pour the filling into the pre-made pie crust.
Using the remaining 1 cup of pecans, decoratively place them onto the top of the pecan pie filling.
Bake in the oven for 60-70 minutes at 350° or until the center has set and is firm. It can have a very slight giggle.
Remove from the oven, place on a rack, and cool completely to room temperature, which can take several hours.
Bourbon Pecan Pie
There are variations in flavor to a classic pecan pie to alter it to your liking. For example, here are a few things you can add to the filling:
- Bourbon – 1 to 2 tablespoons
- Rum – 1 to 2 tablespoons
- Orange Zest – 1 orange
- Lemon Zest – 1 lemon
- Molasses – 2 tablespoons
- Chocolate Chips – 1/2 cup milk chocolate
Make-Ahead and Storage
Make-Ahead: You can make this recipe up to 2 days ahead. After it’s cooled, cover it and keep it in the refrigerator. Pull it out and let it sit at room temperature the day you are ready to serve it.
How to Store: Cover and keep in the refrigerator for 7 days. Cover and keep in the freezer for up to 6 months. Thaw in the refrigerator for 1 day or until softened before serving.
Recipe Chef Notes + Tips
- I love serving pecan pie with ice cream and homemade caramel.
- If cooking on convection, bake this pie at 325°.
- You may need more than 1 cup of pecans to decorate the top of the pie.
- If you notice the pie shell darkening too fast or the pecans starting to darken too fast, gently lay a piece of foil over the top to protect.
More Dessert Recipes
Homemade Pecan Pie Recipe
- 1 pie crust
- 4 large eggs
- 2 cups light Karo corn syrup
- 1/4 cup melted unsalted butter
- 1 cup packed light brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon bourbon
- 4 cups pecan halves
- Preheat the oven to 350°.
- Form the pie crust to a pie tin or shell and place in the freezer until ready to use.
- In a large bowl whisk the eggs until they are scrambled and smooth.
- Next, add in the syrup, brown sugar, butter, vanilla, and bourbon and whisk until completely mixed in and very smooth. There should be no lumps at all.
- Add in ¾ of the pecans and fold in using a rubber spatula or you can gently whisk them in.
- Remove the pie shell in the tin from the freezer and pour the pecan pie filling into the pie shell. Scrape all if using a rubber spatula.
- Using the remaining 1 cup of pecans, or more, decorate the top of the pie in your desired fashion.
- Bake in the oven on the middle rack at 350° for 75-90 minutes or until the pie shell is lightly browned and the center is firm and it reads 200° internally.
- Remove from the oven and add it to a rack and cool it completely until it reaches room temperature.