Get 5 Secrets to Make Homemade Taste Food Better + New Recipes Weekly!
Published June 2, 2021. This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
This tasty homemade garlic aioli recipe with olive oil is the perfect condiment to go on your favorite sandwich and comes together in minutes.
There is nothing like a tasty sauce to help elevate the flavor of a dish. If you are looking to take your saucier skills to the next level then absolutely check out my Homemade Tartar Sauce or Pomodoro.
Aioli is a tasty sauce consisting of egg yolks, garlic, salt, and olive oil. Its origin can be traced to the Mediterranean coasts of Spain, Italy, and France. Aioli is a fantastic garlic-flavored condiment to be added as a dressing or a spreadable sauce to be served on a sandwich, or even as something to be dipped in.
While the process of making aioli is similar to that of mayonnaise, aioli must use olive oil. In addition, mustard or acid is not needed in making an aioli but they definitely will assist in emulsifying the sauce as well as provide flavor.
How to Make Homemade Aioli from Scratch
Use these simple step-by-step procedures to make aioli from scratch:
Vigorously whisk together by hand in a bowl or using a food processor on slow speed, a pasteurized egg yolk, lemon juice, finely minced garlic clove, and mustard until combined and slightly frothy.
Next, while continuing to whisk or process at low speed add in a very small amount of olive oil just to start getting it going.
After that little bit of oil is mixed in, start to very slowly add in the olive oil while continuing to whisk or process until the dressing becomes emulsified and thick.
Finish by mixing in lemon juice and salt. Keep cool until ready to use.
Quick Aioli in a Pinch
If for some reason you can’t make aioli from scratch, no problem as there is a quick cheater’s aioli. Here is what you do:
- In a bowl whisk together a ½ cup of pre-made mayonnaise with 1 finely minced garlic clove and 1 to 2 teaspoons of lemon juice.
Recipe Chef Notes + Tips
Make-Ahead: You can make this up to 3 days ahead of time.
How to Store: Keep covered and refrigerated for up to 7-10 days.
If the aioli is thin while mixing it or it breaks, add in 1-2 tablespoons of hot boiling water to help stabilize the egg and then continue to whisk.
It is my personal opinion that this is the easiest to make in a food processor. Aioli can also be made in a stand mixer or with hand beaters as well.
More Sauce Recipes:
Homemade Garlic Aioli Recipe
- 2 pasteurized eggs, yolk separated
- 1 1/2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 finely minced garlic clove
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 12 ounces olive oil
- Salt and lemon juice to taste
- Mix together the egg yolk, lemon juice, garlic, and mustard in a bowl or in a food processor on low speed until combined and slightly frothy.
- Next, add in about ½ to 1 teaspoon of olive oil slowly while continuing to mix until it has been mixed in.
- Then, slowly pour in the olive oil while continuing to vigorously whisk by hand or on low speed in a food processor until all of the oil has been added and the aioli has been emulsified and is thick.
- Finish by adding in lemon juice and salt.