Learn how easy it is to make a delicious homemade tartar sauce recipe that goes excellent with any seafood dish. Whether you put it on a Po Boy Sandwich or serve it up with Shrimp Boil, it’s super simple to prepare and always tasty.
This is actually one of the first things I ever learned to make way back in my restaurant days when I was barely a teenager. It’s my go-to sauce for all things fish and is always a favorite sauce whenever it’s served up, and not-too-mention you can make it under 5 minutes.
What Is It
This is a very simple mayonnaise-based condiment that originated in France and is most often served with seafood.
What’s in It
Here are the simple tartar sauce ingredients which you may already have in your house.
- Salt and Pepper
In addition to these few things, you can also add in dill, lemon juice, garlic or tobasco sauce to further enhance the flavor of it.
How to Make Tartar Sauce
Start by small dicing some small yellow onions.
Finely chop some capers.
Small dice some dill pickles.
Add the onions, capers, pickles, mayonnaise, parsley, salt and pepper to a bowl and mix. Simple as that.
Is There a Substitute for It
There is no perfect substitute for it but there are some healthier options. Simply replace the mayonnaise with any of these:
- Low Fat Mayonnaise
- Non-Fat Yogurt
- Low Fat Sour Cream
It does alter the flavor of the overall sauce, but if I did it this way I’d just add in a bit more of everything else to help bring about those flavors.
What to Serve It With
There are tons of great dishes to serve up this tartar sauce with, and here are a few of my favorites:
Recipe Chef Notes + Tips
How To Store: Keep covered in the refrigerator for up to 7 days. This does not freeze well so don’t attempt it.
In place of the yellow onions in the sauce, you can sub for red onions, shallots or sweet onions.
My suggestion is to keep this recipe as simple as possible because you want to use it to compliment the seafood, not mask it.
The brine from the capers and pickles provides plenty of acid to the sauce, so there is no need for lemon juice.
More Sauce Recipes
Easy Homemade Tartar Sauce Recipe
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- ¼ cup small diced yellow onions
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped capers
- 1/3 cup small-diced dill pickles
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- Sea salt and cracked pepper to taste
- Add all of the ingredients to a bowl and mix until combined.
- Cover and refrigerate until ready to use.
- How to Store: Keep covered in the refrigerator for up to 7 days. This does not freeze well so don’t attempt it.
- In place of the yellow onions in the sauce you can sub for red onions, shallots or sweet onions.
- My suggestion is to keep this recipe as simple as possible because you want to use it to compliment the seafood, not mask it.
- The brine from the capers and pickles provides plenty of acid to the sauce, so there is no need for lemon juice.