Get 5 Secrets to Make Homemade Taste Food Better + New Recipes Weekly!
Published January 30, 2020. This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Enhance your next meal with this super easy-to-make chimichurri sauce recipe that is delicious and loaded with flavor.
This recipe can easily spice up things like chicken or beef or take them to the next level. It has few ingredients and can be used as a marinade or sauce once your food is cooked. From Flank Steak Tacos to Halibut, it is a fantastic way to add flavor to a dish.
What Is Chimichurri Sauce?
This traditional Argentian (or Uruguayan) is a simple, delicious mixture of fresh herbs, acid, and olive oil that can double as a marinade or sauce.
These are the ingredients that go into a chimichurri sauce with some variation:
- Fresno Pepper
- Red Wine Vinegar
- Olive Oil
What Does It Taste Like
The consistency is similar to pesto, just a little runnier. It mainly tastes like herbs, parsley, and oregano, with a hint of garlic and vinegar. It is a great sauce or marinade.
How to Make Chimichurri Sauce
I can’t say it enough; this is incredibly easy to make. Just follow the easy steps below:
Assemble all of your ingredients and remove the oregano leaves from the stems.
Finely minced the fresh parsley going down until there is 2” left on the stem.
It should be very small in size so that it does not take over the main flavor of the chimichurri.
Add all of the ingredients to a bowl and season with salt and pepper to taste.
Mix together everything until it is completely combined.
Make-Ahead and Storage
Make-Ahead: You can make this up to 3 days ahead of time. Simply keep it covered in the refrigerator.
How to Store: Keep covered in the refrigerator for up to 1 week.
How to Freeze: Keep covered in the freezer for up to 2 months. I like to put them in silicone ice cream trays and pull them out as needed.
chef notes + tips
- Just like in a soup recipe, this will taste better a few days later as flavors will infuse more.
- Feel free to use most of the stems on the parsley or even the oregano, as there is tons of flavor in them. Be sure to finely mince so that nothing is crunchy or hard to eat.
- Chimichurri ingredients can also vary add things like cilantro, thyme, shallots, or lemon juice. Feel free to customize it to your liking.
- If you like a spicier sauce, add some of the Fresno pepper seeds.
What to Serve It With
- Garlic and Herb Beef Tenderloin Roast Recipe
- Bone-In Standing Ribeye Roast Recipe
- Roast Spatchcock Chicken
- Flank Steak Tacos
- Pork Tenderloin
Chimichurri Sauce Recipe
- ½ bunch finely minced Italian parsley
- 3 tablespoons finely minced oregano
- 2 finely minced cloves of garlic
- 1 seeded and finely minced Fresno pepper
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- Sea salt and pepper to taste
- Add all the ingredients to a large bowl and mix until completely combined.
- Cover and keep in the refrigerator until ready to use.
Asince I grow parsley in my garden, how much would you say is in a half bunch of parsley? Thank you in advance
1 cup packed
Made this times 5 in my food processor. Excellent and gifted.
Can’t wait to make this! Thanks!
Used this on a delicious reverse seared rib steak last night: perfect match!
Thanks once again Billy for your great idea’s.
Enjoying your recipes. Thanks bro
I used parsley and cilantro. It’s going on marinated flank steak tonight!
I love Chimichurri Sauce ! because is an Uruguayan recipe too!
Thank you so much for sharing!
I loved it so much, I’ll try it in future.
Thank you Chef!!!