Get 5 Secrets to Make Homemade Taste Food Better + New Recipes Weekly!
Published March 23, 2022. This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
This simple-to-prepare halibut recipe with chimichurri sauce comes together in under 30 minutes and is jam-packed with flavor. You will love just how easy this recipe is to make.
Halibut is an incredibly versatile fish and can pair well with a myriad of different sauces or cooking methods. Since it is a very mild-flavored fish it is perfect for marrying it with strong flavors like blackened seasoning or even a teriyaki sauce.
The beauty of this halibut recipe is that it can be prepared in minutes and is easy enough for a week-night family meal and elegant enough to impress guests with.
Ingredients for Halibut
- Halibut – Use fresh, skinless, halibut for this recipe.
- Oil – Any neutral flavored oil will work.
- Butter – unsalted butter helps to brown the fish, add flavor, and assists on releasing it from the pan.
- Chimichurri Sauce – My chimichurri sauce recipe is very tasty and should be used in this dish.
How to Make a Halibut Recipe
Follow these step-by-step procedures with images to make this delicious halibut recipe with chimichurri sauce:
Mix the chimichurri ingredients together in a medium-size bowl and set aside. Note, there will be some leftover, but it does store well covered in the refrigerator for up to 1 week.
Next, season the halibut on both sides with salt and pepper.
Add some oil to a large frying pan and heat over high heat until it begins to lightly smoke.
Place in the halibut, turn the heat down to medium-high, add in some butter and cook for 3 to 3 ½ minutes per side or until golden brown and cooked throughout.
Let the fish rest for 1 to 2 minutes before pouring on some of the chimichurri sauce and garnish with lemons.
Make-Ahead and Storage
Make-Ahead: You can keep warm covered in a pan for up to 15 minutes before serving, but this recipe is meant to be eaten as soon as it is done being cooked.
How to Store: Cover and keep it in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. This will freeze covered for up to 3 months. Thaw in the refrigerator for 1 day before reheating.
How to Reheat: Place the desired number of halibut with sauce in a pan and heat in the oven at 350° for 5-6 minutes or until hot.
chef notes + tips
- You can use frozen halibut; just be sure it’s completely thawed before using.
- Pat the halibut down with paper towels as it will help release it from the pan when ready to flip over.
- This recipe is very versatile so just about any fish will work with the chimichurri sauce.
More Fish Recipes
Halibut Recipe with Chimichurri Sauce
- 2 8- ounce fresh skinless halibut fillets
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 teaspoon unsalted butter
- 1/2 chimichurri sauce recipe
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Make the chimichurri sauce according to the recipe and set aside until ready to use.
- Next, season the halibut on both sides with salt and pepper.
- Add the oil to a large frying pan and heat over high heat until it begins to lightly smoke.
- Place in the halibut fillets, turn the heat down to medium-high, add in the butter and cook for 3 to 3 ½ minutes per side or until golden brown and cooked throughout.
- Let the fish rest for 1 to 2 minutes before pouring on some of the chimichurri sauce and garnishing with optional lemon slices.