Get 5 Secrets to Make Homemade Taste Food Better + New Recipes Weekly!
Published March 23, 2022. This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
This simple-to-prepare halibut recipe with chimichurri sauce comes together in under 30 minutes and is jam-packed with flavor. You will love just how easy this recipe is to make.
I’m a huge seafood fan and am always eager to try out new recipes. If you’re anything like me then you should make my Seafood Paella or Crab Cakes.
Halibut is an incredibly versatile fish and can pair well with a myriad of different sauces or cooking methods. Since it is a very mild-flavored fish it is perfect for marrying it with strong flavors like blackened seasoning or even a teriyaki sauce.
The beauty of this halibut recipe is that it can be prepared in minutes and is easy enough for a week-night family meal and elegant enough to impress guests with.
Ingredients for Halibut
- Halibut – Use fresh, skinless, halibut for this recipe.
- Oil – Any neutral flavored oil will work.
- Butter – unsalted butter helps to brown the fish, add flavor, and assists on releasing it from the pan.
- Chimichurri Sauce – My chimichurri sauce recipe is very tasty and should be used in this dish.
How to Make a Halibut Recipe
Follow these step-by-step procedures with images to make this delicious halibut recipe with chimichurri sauce:
Mix the chimichurri ingredients together in a medium-size bowl and set aside. Note, there will be some leftover, but it does store well covered in the refrigerator for up to 1 week.
Next, season the halibut on both sides with salt and pepper.
Add some oil to a large frying pan and heat over high heat until it begins to lightly smoke.
Place in the halibut, turn the heat down to medium-high, add in some butter and cook for 3 to 3 ½ minutes per side or until golden brown and cooked throughout.
Let the fish rest for 1 to 2 minutes before pouring on some of the chimichurri sauce and garnish with lemons.
Make-Ahead and Storage
Make-Ahead: You can keep warm covered in a pan for up to 15 minutes before serving, but this recipe is meant to be eaten as soon as it is done being cooked.
How to Store: Cover and keep it in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. This will freeze covered for up to 3 months. Thaw in the refrigerator for 1 day before reheating.
How to Reheat: Place the desired number of halibut with sauce in a pan and heat in the oven at 350° for 5-6 minutes or until hot.
chef notes + tips
- You can use frozen halibut; just be sure it’s completely thawed before using.
- Pat the halibut down with paper towels as it will help release it from the pan when ready to flip over.
- This recipe is very versatile so just about any fish will work with the chimichurri sauce.
More Fish Recipes
Halibut Recipe with Chimichurri Sauce
- 2 8- ounce fresh skinless halibut fillets
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 teaspoon unsalted butter
- 1/2 chimichurri sauce recipe
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Make the chimichurri sauce according to the recipe and set aside until ready to use.
- Next, season the halibut on both sides with salt and pepper.
- Add the oil to a large frying pan and heat over high heat until it begins to lightly smoke.
- Place in the halibut fillets, turn the heat down to medium-high, add in the butter and cook for 3 to 3 ½ minutes per side or until golden brown and cooked throughout.
- Let the fish rest for 1 to 2 minutes before pouring on some of the chimichurri sauce and garnishing with optional lemon slices.