Learn how to make an authentic Easy Seafood Paella Recipe that is loaded with flavor!
Easy Seafood Paella Recipe
- 1 smoked ham hock
- 1 small-diced medium sized sweet onion
- 4 stalks of small-diced celery
- 2 finely minced cloves of garlic
- 1 small-diced Poblano pepper seeded
- ½ cup of chopped fresh parsley
- 4 precooked and sliced chorizo sausage links
- 6 ounces of thinly sliced squid
- 6 ounces of olive oil
- 1 pound of short grain white rice Arborio
- 1 1/2 cup2 of chardonnay wine
- 50 to 56 ounces of chicken stock
- one 15 ounce can of plum tomatoes and juice
- 1 teaspoon of saffron
- 3 chicken breasts
- 3 boneless chicken thighs
- 8 ounces of mussels
- 6 to 8 little neck clams
- 8 ounces of peeled and deveined shrimp
- juice of 2 lemons
- Kosher salt and fresh cracked black pepper to taste
- 6 ounces of shredded Manchego cheese
- chilled Simi Chardonnay
- Place the smoked ham hock on a sheet pan and bake in the oven on 375° for 30 to 45 minutes. Once cooked remove it from the heat and thinly slice off the bone.
- In a large pot on medium high heat with 2 ounces of olive oil, caramelize the onions, celery, pepper and garlic. Once brown add in the rice and toast for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Next, de-glaze the rice mixture with 1 cup of chardonnay and cook until the rice has absorbed all of the liquid. Once absorbed add in one 8 ounce ladle of chicken stock one at a time until the rice has absorbed all of the liquid, while constantly stirring. NOTE: cook until al dente. The rice may take more or less than the called for amount of chicken stock. Finish with the tomatoes, saffron, salt and pepper and keep warm on low heat.
- In the mean time, season the chicken on all sides with salt and pepper and sear them in a hot large sauté on high heat with 2 ounces of olive oil. Cook for 3 to 4 minutes, flip the chicken over and finish them in the pan in the oven on 375° for 8 to 10 minutes. Once cooked, remove from the heat and small dice.
- In a separate large hot sauté pan on high heat with 2 ounces of olive oil add in the shrimp, mussels, clams and calamari and sauté for 4 to 6 minutes. Next add in the chorizo sausage and continue to cook. To help the shellfish to open up, deglaze with wine and then add in the chicken stock. NOTE: will take 8 to 10 minutes to completely cook.
- To finish up, add the diced chicken, seafood, parsley, lemon juice and salt and pepper to the rice and thoroughly mix.
- To Plate: Simple add the paella to a white plate and place the shellfish on top and add Manchego cheese. Pair with a chilled glass of Simi Chardonnay.