Get 5 Secrets to Make Homemade Taste Food Better + New Recipes Weekly!
Published March 22, 2023. This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
These incredibly chocolate brownies are perfectly fudgy on the inside while having a crunchy outside crust for the ultimate dessert. Once you try these, I guarantee you will never make them any other way again.
Is there anything better than finishing off a meal with a tasty treat? If you agree, try my Ricotta Cheesecake or French Silk Pie.
Brownies are a dense, fudgy, chewy bar that is a cross between cake and a cookie and is most commonly chocolate flavored. There are also other flavors of brownies, like blondies, and they are served in a myriad of ways, but most popularly with vanilla ice cream and caramel or chocolate sauce.
Brownies can also come in different textures depending on who is making them and eating them. I prefer a crispy outside and a soft, fudgy inside for maximum flavor and moistness. To do this requires it to be slightly undercooked but obviously still safe to eat. If you’ve never done it like this, I highly recommend trying it.
Ingredients You’ll Need
- Chocolate – I use a combination of semi-sweet chocolate chips and cocoa powder.
- Sugar – Regular granulated sugar works perfectly.
- Flour – All-purpose flour is what you will need.
- Eggs – You can use cold or room-temperature large eggs.
- Butter – I always use unsalted butter in my cooking and baking so that I can control the salt content in my food.
- Baking Soda – This is used as a leavening agent for brownies.
- Vanilla – Some good vanilla extract is used for flavor.
- Salt – I always use coarse sea salt in cooking and baking unless specified.
How to Make Fudgy Brownies from Scratch
Place the chocolate in a large metal bowl, then place it over a pot ¼ filled with simmering water over low to medium heat.
Heat the chocolate until it is melted. Move it around using a rubber spatula.
While the chocolate is melting, whisk together the eggs and melted unsalted butter.
Next, add in the sugar, salt, and vanilla until combined. Make sure not to overmix.
Sift the flour, baking soda, and cocoa powder into the bowl.
Switch to using a rubber spatula and fold the sifted ingredients into the egg, sugar, and butter mixture just until mixed.
Once the chocolate is melted, pour it into the bowl with the other ingredients and fold them together using a spatula.
Butter a 13×9 baking dish.
Place in a sheet of parchment paper to completely cover the inside of the pan.
Transfer the brownie batter to the pan and smooth it out using a rubber spatula to make it flat for even cooking.
Bake in the oven at 350° for 25 minutes for a perfect fudgy center.
As soon as the brownies are removed from the oven, evenly sprinkle on a ¼ cup of chocolate chips for more chocolate flavor.
Cool for 25 to 30 minutes before slicing and serving.
Adding Coffee to Brownies
Coffee is an ingredient that makes chocolate more intense in flavor. You can add it several ways to the brownie batter before baking it. Here are a few different things you can do:
- Add 1 teaspoon of espresso powder to the batter when mixing flour.
- Pour in 2 ounces or a ¼ cup of hot espresso coffee to the batter after adding in the melted butter.
- Add in 2 ounces or a ¼ cup of strong coffee in the same way as the hot espresso coffee.
- If you happen to have any leftover coffee, this is a great way to use it up by adding 2 ounces or a ¼ cup of it to the batter when mixing it with the melted butter.
Make-Ahead and Storage
Make-Ahead: Although they will taste their freshest as soon as they are done cooling, you can make these up to 2 days ahead.
How to Store: Cover and keep these brownies at room temperature for 5 days. You can also cover them and keep them in the refrigerator for 7 days. These will freeze well and be covered for up to 3 months. Thaw them in the refrigerator for 1 day or until thawed.
How to Reheat: You can eat this cold, at room temperature, or warm. If you prefer to eat these warm, place the desired number of brownies in a pan and cover it with foil. Bake at 350° for 3 to 4 minutes or until warm.
Chef Notes + Tips
- If you prefer that these are not fudgy, cook them for an additional 10 to 12 minutes.
- Do not overmix the brownies, as you do not want to incorporate too much air into them.
- The parchment paper will ensure it does not stick and assist in keeping the brownies moist.
More Dessert Recipes
Fudgy Chocolate Brownies Recipe
- 2 ¼ cups semi-sweet chocolate chips or small chunks
- 4 large eggs
- 2 sticks melted unsalted butter
- 1 ½ cups sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 teaspoon coarse sea salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup cocoa powder
- Place the 2 cups of chocolate in a large metal bowl, then place it over a pot a ¼ of the way filled with simmering water over low to medium heat.
- Heat the chocolate until it is melted. Move it around using a rubber spatula.
- While the chocolate is melting, whisk together the eggs and melted unsalted butter.
- Next, add in the sugar, salt, and vanilla until combined. Make sure not to overmix.
- Sift the flour, baking soda, and cocoa powder into the bowl.
- Switch to a rubber spatula and fold the sifted ingredients into the egg, sugar, and butter mixture just until mixed.
- Once the chocolate is melted, pour it into the bowl with the other ingredients and fold them together using a spatula.
- Butter a 13×9 baking dish.
- Place in a sheet of parchment paper to completely cover the inside of the pan.
- Transfer the brownie batter to the pan and smooth it out using a rubber spatula to make it flat for even cooking.
- Bake in the oven at 350° for 25 minutes for a perfect fudgy center.
- As soon as the brownies are removed from the oven, evenly sprinkle on the remaining ¼ cup of chocolate chips for more chocolate flavor.
- Cool for 25 to 30 minutes before slicing and serving.
Chocolate fix cured!!!
I made these today. I baked them a little longer based on other reviews. Not sure it was necessary. They are nice and chewy. I’m wondering about adding nuts and or chocolate chips to the batter. 🤔
Sure, why not!
These brownies were amazing! 😋💚
These brownies were a hit!
Thanks for trying them.
Oh my gosh these were amazing!! The crunchy top and fudgey inside were awesome!! My family loved them!
Excellent!! My granddaughters and son-in-law loved these brownies! I will be making them again for my son-in-law’s birthday on May 17.
thanks for giving it a shot!!
These were the absolute best brownies. I will be making them again. thank you for so many delicious recipes and cooking tips.
these were the best
They were perfect!!!! If anyone likes chocolate these are a must.
Thank u so much love your videos.
Awesome, thank you!
Oh My GOSH! Made these for my husband’s staff meeting and was not disappointed! The best brownies EVER! This recipe is a keeper! Next time I may add just 5 min more on cook time but at the 25 min they were baked through to a rich, fudgy center and light crunch on outside just like you said! This recipe is a definite keeper! Every Thurs I send baked goods in for husband’s staff. Billy, your bagel recipe is one they beg for and this brownie recipe right here? Yeah… they are going to be hard pressed to make up their minds which they like more! haha
Awesome! Thanks so much for trying them!
Tried this on a whim when I wanted something chocolatey and was not disappointed. The ingredients are simple, as is the prep. I found that mine needed an additional 7 minutes of cook time to not be underdone. They were still gooey and fudgey, just more set than they were at the 25 min mark!
Does it work if I make just half recipe? It’s only 2 persons in my home.
Made your brownies this morning and just waiting’til they cool! 😋
These brownies are absolutely delicious! As with all of Chef Billy’s recipes, the recipe is written perfectly and is easy to follow.
glad you liked them
Chef Billy Parisi’s recipes always elevate my cooking and my family and friends appreciate it! His recipes and videos are easy to follow and most ingredients are on your pantry shelf.
Holy cow these are delicious!!! Thank you Chef Parisi for the only brownie recipe I will ever need! They came out moist and easy to lift from the pan thanks to parchment t paper tip!
I hope to get six put away I. The freezer for a rainy day but I doubt they will make it!
Wow. Thanks for trying them.
Looks so delicious, who doesn’t love chocolate anyway? I can’t wait to make these Brownies. My son is in a small BBQ competition soon and I will make these brownies for us to have a snack while cooking. I’ll make enough to share with all the cooks, thank you for the recipe and I hope to send you a picture or two of our food and Brownies….
This recipe seems to be the same as one I lost. It was super good, thank you for this recipe. Will be making this for Easter.
Hi I’m from the uk. What is a stick if butter and a cup of sugar and flour. These are not measurements we use so some of your baking recipes are hard to make. The Google conversions seem to vary considerable and I have had a few disasters.
click the metric version of the recipe