Get 5 Secrets to Make Homemade Taste Food Better + New Recipes Weekly!
Published September 23, 2022. This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
These delicious roasted zucchini are golden brown and finished with freshly grated parmesan cheese for the ultimate veggie side dish. This quick and easy dish has become one of our family’s favorite vegetables to serve.
As I’ve gotten older, I try to ensure I eat as many vegetables as possible. However, I must admit that it can be tough to make them delicious, so I want to eat them. If you’re in the same boat, check out my tasty Pickled Green Beans or Corn Fritters.
Roasted zucchini consists of sliced zucchini that are pan or oven-roasted until browned and cooked. It can have several variations, including the style of cut and ingredients used when roasting them. I believe that the keeping the ingredient amounts to a minimum, the full flavor of the fresh zucchini will come through. However, you can customize this to your liking.
This is a great side dish recipe if you are looking to use up zucchini from the garden or are stuck in a rut when it comes to cooking with vegetables.
- Zucchini – Use fresh zucchini that is cut into wedges.
- Oil – I like to use olive oil, but you can use your favorite.
- Cheese – Parmesan cheese works well. However, pecorino Romano will also work.
How to Make Roasted Zucchini
Prepare the zucchini by slicing it into wedges or large batonnets.
Add olive oil to a large frying pan or rondeau pot over high heat until it begins to smoke lightly.
Place the zucchini into the pan and spread them out to cover as much service area as possible.
Sauté the zucchini for 3 minutes or until one side turns brown.
Season them with salt and pepper and sprinkle on grated parmesan cheese and mix just until coated, making sure they are single layer, so they brown.
Finish the zucchini in the oven at 425° for 3 to 4 minutes or until al dente.
Cook on the Stovetop.
If you want to cook the entire recipe on the stovetop, you will simply sauté for 5 to 6 minutes and finish with salt, pepper, and parmesan cheese before serving. The goal is that they are well browned and al dente.
Make-Ahead and Storage
Make-Ahead: These are meant to be eaten as soon as they are done.
How to Store: Cover and keep the roasted zucchini in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. These will not freeze well.
How to Reheat: Add the desired number of zucchini to a sheet tray lined with parchment paper and bake in the oven at 400° for 3 to 4 minutes or until hot. You can also re-sear them.
Chef Notes + Tips
- You can also add dry herbs such as 2 teaspoons of oregano, basil, thyme, or rosemary to the zucchini when pan-roasting them.
- A batonnet is a thick slice, much like a French fry. To achieve this, slice out the seeds after cutting them into wedges.
- For additional flavor, add some finely minced garlic or garlic powder while sauteing.
More Vegetable Recipes
Roasted Zucchini Recipe
- 2 large zucchini
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- ¼ cup grated parmesan cheese
- sea salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 425°.
- Prepare the zucchini by slicing them in half widthwise, then again lengthwise. From there, slice them into wedges. Set them aside on a plate.
- Add the olive oil to a large frying pan or rondeau pot over high heat until it begins to smoke lightly.
- Place the zucchini into the pan and spread them out to cover as much service area as possible.
- Sauté the zucchini for a total of 3 minutes or until they start to turn brown.
- Season them with salt and pepper and sprinkle on grated parmesan cheese and mix just until coated.
- Finish the zucchini in the oven at 425° for 3 to 4 minutes or until al dente. See above for options on finishing them on the stovetop.
- Serve with more grated parmesan and optional chopped fresh parsley.