I know this Boiled Green Beans Recipe with Butter Glaze is beyond simply, but sometimes it’s the easiest dishes that can bring out the most joy. For me this recipe reminds me of my childhood a bit, because I always remember my mom outside watching us runaround while she picked green beans and threw them into a pot. We cook them different nowadays as I like a much firmer greener green bean, but the taste is still there.
We actually even trim the green beans different as well lol, mom I promise your’s are still great! I remember when I was working at a country club in St. Louis I had to trim like 50 pounds of green beans so there I was picking them with my hands… Well, chef didn’t like that so he taught me how to line up then ends and snip’em off with one slice. That was the end of my picking green beans tenure, finished with a slice. I do have to admit, it’s a much faster process, sorry mom.
Next for this Boiled Green Beans Recipe with Butter Glaze is boiling them. Instead of putting them picked in a pot, then filling them with water and bringing them to a boil I bring the water to a boil first. Doing this will ensure my green beans only cook for a few minutes and if I pay attention they won’t get mushy. Once the water is boiling, add enough salt to it so that it tastes like the ocean. We do this to help keep the color of the beans as well as season them. Do it!
While you are boiling the green beans for 4 to 6 minutes, add a few pads of unsalted butter to a large saute pan over low heat.
Start swirling it around by moving the handle in a circular motion. Remember we aren’t trying to fry with the butter, we want to glaze with the butter, so keep it over low heat while continuing to move until it’s completely melted. The butter should appear milky and by doing this will allow you to coat all of the green beans instead of dropping a glob of butter of top hoping it touches all of the beans.
After the green beans are boiled, remove them from the pot and strain them through a colander and pour them into your buttered pan. Season the green beans with salt and pepper and fold them over in the butter mixture making sure to coat on all sides. There it is Boiled Green Beans Recipe with Butter Glaze! If you want to see a few other recipes I have for green beans then check out, Fried Green Beans Recipe, or this Oven Roasted Garlic Green Beans with Lemon.
- 1 pound of trimmed green beans
- 3 tablespoons of unsalted butter
- Kosher salt and fresh cracked pepper to taste
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil and season heavy with salt. Note, it should taste like the ocean.
- Next, add in the trimmed green beans and boil for 4 to 6 minutes or until al dente or slightly crunchy.
- Immediately remove them form the pot and strain them. Set aside.
- In a large saute pan over low heat add in the butter and coat the bottom of the pan. Be sure the pan is not too hot, you simply want to melt the butter not cook it.
- Add the green beans to the butter, season with salt and pepper and fold the green beans into the butter until coated on all sides.
- Serve hot!