Get 5 Secrets to Make Homemade Taste Food Better + New Recipes Weekly!
Published July 22, 2022. This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
These easy-to-make corn fritters come together in under 15 minutes and can be served up with sour cream or sweet maple syrup for a tasty side dish. The flavor in these is incredible and you will love how simple they are to prepare.
Corn fritters are small, sweet, or savory, deep-fried cakes made either by combining trimmed corn kernels with a thick batter. They can be cooked into a round shape or a flat more cake-like shape. These can be served as a side dish, appetizer, or even as a sweet treat if you go the sweeter route.
Fritters are incredibly popular in Southern cuisine, but also have a history in Latin and Native American cuisine, especially when using corn. Feel free to add additional ingredients to this recipe to customize and make it your own and don’t forget to check out the video below.
Ingredients and Substitutions
- Corn – Fresh corn is the best thing to use, but you can use frozen or canned if out of season.
- Flour – All-purpose flour is what is used.
- Baking Powder – This will help make the fritters rise.
- Corn Starch – I use corn starch to make them fluffy and tender.
- Sugar – I prefer a little bit of sugar for some sweetness in the batter.
- Seasoning – Only salt and pepper are used, but you can add things like garlic or onion powder to make this savorier.
- Eggs – Large eggs are used to bring together the batter and add fat.
- Milk – I like to use whole milk, but half and half, and whipping cream can be used.
How to Make Corn Fritters from Scratch
Use these simple-to-prepare instructions and pictures to make these irresistible corn fritters:
Shuck and trim corn kernels from the cob.
Mix all the dry ingredients in a bowl and set to the side.
In a separate bowl, whisk the eggs and milk and then add them to the dry ingredients bowl.
Whisk together everything until combined.
Fold the corn into the batter
Heat some oil in a large non-stick skillet and add 2 to 3 tablespoons of the corn fritter batter into the oil making sure to press down to form a circle shape.
Fry the fritters for about 2 minutes per side or until golden brown and cooked throughout. Set on paper towels to drain any excess oil.
Serve them with your favorite toppings.
How To Serve Corn Fritters
There are two common ways to serve corn fritters, as a savory or sweet dish. Here are the best ways to present them:
- Serve them alongside sour cream or add a dollop to the top of each corn fritter and garnish with sliced green onions.
- Drizzle some maple syrup over the top of each fritter or serve on the side for dipping.
Make-Ahead and Storage
Make-Ahead: You can make these up to 30 minutes ahead of time by keeping them warm on a rack over a sheet pan in the oven at 200° F.
How to Store: Cover the corn fritters and keep them in the refrigerator for up to 4 days. These will freeze well covered for up to 3 months. Thaw them in the refrigerator for 1 day before reheating.
How to Reheat: Add the desired number of corn fritters to a rack over a sheet pan and bake at 350° for 4-6 minutes or until hot.
Chef Notes + Tips
- The batter before adding in the corn should be like a very thick pancake batter.
- You can also add things like jalapeños, onions, and garlic to the fritters to enhance the flavor.
- Another finishing topping would be to add honey or molasses to the top of the corn fritters.
- Feel free to fry these in a pot of oil and keep them more round, similar to my apple fritters.
More Side Dish Recipes
Easy Corn Fritters Recipe
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 tablespoon packed corn starch
- ½ cup whole milk
- 2 large eggs
- 3 ears of shucked and trimmed corn, or about 1 3/4 cup of kernels
- Pepper to taste
- neutral flavor oil for frying
- Optional garnishes of sour cream, sliced green onions, or maple syrup
- Mix all the flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, and pepper in a large bowl and set to the side.
- In a separate medium-size bowl, whisk the milk and eggs together and then add it to the dry ingredients bowl.
- Whisk together everything until combined.
- Fold the corn into the batter
- Heat about a 1/3 cup of neutral flavored oil in a large non-stick skillet over medium heat until it is about 350° and add 2 to 3 tablespoons of the corn fritter batter into the oil making sure to press down to form a circle shape.
- Repeat the process in the pan as room is provided. Do not put too close to each other.
- Fry the fritters for about 2 minutes per side or until golden brown and cooked throughout.
- Serve them with your favorite toppings.