Get 5 Secrets to Make Homemade Taste Food Better + New Recipes Weekly!
Published December 26, 2022. This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
This Roast Beef Sandwich Recipe is loaded up with thinly sliced roast beef, vegetables, and creamy horseradish sauce on a Kaiser Bun. If you want delicious, then this is the sandwich for you.
I don’t know about you, but I grew up eating lunch meat, and sandwiches. While I’ve upped my game to more gourmet sandwiches, I still eat them often. To take your sandwich-making skills to the next level, I recommend trying my Croque Madame or Philly Cheesesteak.
Roast Beef Sandwich
A roast beef sandwich in its simplest form is thinly sliced roast beef that is served in between two pieces of bread. The roast beef can be sliced in a myriad of thicknesses and the sandwich can have an assortment of toppings, sauces, and variations. I personally enjoy a lot of ingredients on roast beef sandwiches and prefer the bread to be top-notch like artisan bread of even using homemade pita bread.
My roast beef sandwich features these ingredients, which I personally enjoy serving. Please do not feel limited by these and get creative to make this sandwich work for you.
- Beef – Use good roast beef, or better yet slice it from a ribeye roast once it is cooled.
- Sauce – I personally think a creamy horseradish sauce is the best for this sandwich.
- Lettuce – Arugula and micro-greens are what I used. However, you can use any of your favorite lettuces.
- Vegetables – I like a simple combination of red onions, radishes, and tomatoes.
- Cheese – A good aged cheddar will really compliment the roast beef.
- Bread – Kaiser buns are my favorite to use.
What Type of Bread to Use?
The first thing to decide on is bread for this recipe. This alone can go several different ways and really there are no bad choices. The bread that I would recommend using would be:
- White Bread
What are Good Condiments to Use?
Here are some additional condiments you can add to the top of your roast beef sandwich:
- Freshly grated horseradish (yes, you can use it prepared in a jar)
- Sea salt and pepper
- Worcestershire sauce
How to Make a Roast Beef Sandwich
Start by slicing the onions, radishes, and tomatoes. Set them aside.
Next, make the creamy horseradish sauce and set it to the side.
If you are slicing the roast beef yourself, you can do so using a very sharp knife, a mandolin, or a meat slicer. I prefer the roast beef to be thinly sliced for this sandwich.
Start by adding your lettuce or greens to the bottom bun.
Next, place on your cheese and then the sauce. The grens and cheese will help protect the bottom bun from getting too soggy from the sauce.
Stack on the sliced roast beef.
Add an optional microgreens. You can use any bread of microgreen.
Place on the sliced radishes and onions.
Lastly, place on the sliced tomatoes and then the top bun. Serve.
Make-Ahead and Storage
Make-Ahead: If all the ingredients are kept separate, you can prepare this roast beef sandwich recipe up to 2 days ahead of time.
How to Store: Store the toppings, bread, horseradish cream spread, and buns separately covered in plastic wrap for up to 1 week in the refrigerator. These ingredients, unfortunately, will not freeze well.
Chef Notes + Tips
- Other kinds of cheese that go great with roast beef are, blue cheese, cheddar, asiago, gouda, fontina, or Swiss. However, you don’t even need to use cheese for this sandwich.
- There are several brands of roast beef to choose from including but not limited to, Greenridge Farm, Boar’s Head, Dietz and Watson, or Applegate.
- If you are looking to do it yourself and want something that stands out, try slicing it from my Smoked Prime Rib recipe.
- There are many options for toppings on this sandwich. Most of these choices will depend on your preferences. If you consider all the things beef goes well with, it will make your options that much better.
- You can use white, sweet, or yellow onions in place of the red onions I used.
- Feel free to use Roma tomatoes instead of heirlooms.
More Sandwich Recipes
Roast Beef Sandwich Recipe
- 4 kaiser buns, sliced in half widthwise
- 1 cup arugula leaves
- 4 slices aged cheddar cheese
- ½ cup creamy horseradish sauce
- 1 pound of thinly sliced roast beef
- ½ cup micro greens
- 4 thinly sliced radishes
- ½ peeled and thinly sliced red onions
- 1 thinly sliced tomato
- If you are slicing the roast beef yourself, you can do so using a very sharp knife, a mandolin, or a meat slicer. I prefer the roast beef to be thinly sliced for this sandwich.
- Start by adding your lettuce to the bottom bun.
- Next, place on your cheese and then the sauce. The lettuce and cheese will help protect the bottom bun from getting too soggy from the sauce.
- Stack on the sliced roast beef.
- Add an optional micro greens. You can use any breed of micro greens.
- Place on the sliced radishes and onions.
- Lastly, place on the sliced tomatoes and then the top bun. Serve.
I am so in the mood for a roast beef sandwich now 🤤🤤
Super delicious! The horseradish sauce totally makes it, even though it is more work than just plain horseradish – the creamy texture is the key. Really really good.
Thank you for the delicious recipe! I just got done eating and I’m making another batch for my family as I type. No need for a side you’ll be satisfied off the sandwich alone.
I didn’t have kale on hand so I just doubled my arugula also completely forgot the balsamic on the onions and ended up just roasting the potatoes and onions together. Worked GREAT. Also, I didn’t have horseradish and I just added grated ginger and Dijon mustard…. Perfection.
The sweetness of the roasted veg helps cut the saltiness of the roast beef. The creamy sauce to the crunchy horseradish.
Followed ththe recipe exactly as written. IT IS MIND BLOWING. This is truly one of the best, if not the absolute best, horseradish sauces I have ever had. I cannot believe how incredible it is. You could use this sauce as a dip for fries, veggies, meat roll ups, heck it would probably be awesome with eggs. 5 star is an understatement. Thank you chef!!!!!!!!
Husband approved. The cream is really delicious.
The horseradish cream sauce is amazing!!!!
Wow..this looks like the tastiest sandwich ever!! I will definitely make this for my hubby & I! Looks filling & so flavorful!
What an amazing recipe! I am adding this to my dinner line up for the week! Delicious!
This looks amazing and so delicious! I’m sure my husband will love it, and I plan on making it this weekend.
So flavorful and delicious! Great recipe, thank you!