Homemade Ice Cream Tacos Recipe – if you love ice cream then take your love to the next level with this homemade ice cream taco recipe made with waffle cones and chocolate!
July is national ice cream month, as if me or my family needed another reason to indulge in ice cream, let’s whip up an ice cream taco.
I love all ice cream. I love making it, I love smelling it and boy do I love eating it, so that’s why I’m making this ice cream taco recipe.
Whether it’s the local ice cream man peddling through the neighborhood or strolling through the frozen food section at the grocery store, it’s a staple in our home.
I promise I’m not blaming my wife here, but I never had much of a sweet tooth before I met her, and now I feel like I need it after dinner, which is why I’m making this ice cream taco recipe.
I mean come on, you eat well-seasoned food at dinner, your palette is screaming for something sweet, and what better way to satisfy those cravings than with ice cream.
Making Ice Cream Tacos
It’s been a brutally hot summer so far in Chicago, so we do as much as possible to keep cool, which is why we whipped up these ice cream tacos.
We go to the pool at the local park, spray each other down with the hose and eat ice cream!
I was looking to dig into my past as a child growing up in Detroit a little bit with these Ice Cream Tacos.
They’re super easy to make and even more fun to eat.
Another great benefit is that you can be super creative when making ice cream tacos.
The only thing that is a must is the taco waffle cone batter, which is simply a waffle cone shaped into a taco.
You can top off the ice cream tacos with sprinkles, dip it in marshmallow whip, sugar coat it, the possibilities are endless!
We of course used our favorite ice cream, Ben & Jerry’s! Their flavor combos are amazing and always delicious.
Making a Homemade Ice Cream Taco Shell
To make the taco shell for this ice cream taco you will need an iron.
Whether that’s on the stove or in the form of a small appliance, you kind of need this.
The taco shell batter for the ice cream tacos is very similar to a pancake batter, so once it’s whipped up you can cook with it immediately.
When cooking it, once it becomes light and brown in color you need to remove it and immediately fold it over to form a taco shell. Let me caution you by saying these are very hot, so feel free to use a kitchen towel while doing this.
Each taco for the ice cream tacos takes about 2 minutes to mold while cooling to room temperature. After this is done, repeat until the batter is all used up.
One step closer to eating ice cream tacos!
While the shells are molding, it’s a good idea to take the ice cream out of the freezer and let it warm up a tad so it’s easier to mold into the shells.
Ice Cream for Ice Cream Tacos
I like variety for my ice cream tacos so I went with 3 different flavors of Ben & Jerry’s, however you can use whichever ice cream you like the most!
Once the ice cream is a bit more malleable, spoon it into the shells until full and place back in the freezer to harden.
When it comes to adding on chocolate you can do this in two different ways to the ice cream taco.
The first way is by dipping the top of the shell after it’s done cooking into the melted chocolate, and chocolate simply being around the edges.
The second way, you can brush the top of the ice cream taco after the shells are filled for a super chocolaty taste.
I prefer the latter ice cream taco recipe.
It is a little tough to work with given the ice cream is cold and the chocolate is hot. But it’s fun to make and perfect for your kids to help with as well.
Once the chocolate is on the ice cream tacos, put ‘em back in the freezer because the hot chocolate will melt the ice cream a bit.
From there you are good to go!!
For more great tips and recipes, be sure to check out EasyHomeMeals.com, and be sure to follow them on their social media channels at:
- Root Beer Float Recipe
- Old Fashioned Peach Cobbler Recipe
- Cream Puffs Recipe with Bavarian Cream
- How to Make a Blueberry Pie Recipe
- Cranberry Lime Pie – from Kevin is Cooking
Homemade Ice Cream Tacos Recipe
For the Shells:
- 2 eggs
- 2 egg whites
- Pinch of salt
- ½ cup of sugar
- 1 ½ cups of flour sifted
- ¼ cup of whole milk
- 4 tablespoons of melted butter
For the Ice Cream:
- 3 pints of assorted Ben & Jerry’s Ice Cream
- 2 cups of semi-sweet chocolate chips
- For the Shells: In a large bowl whisk together the eggs and salt until light and fluffy. Next, whisk in the sugar until combined, followed by adding the flour until combined. Finish by whisking in the melted butter.
- Pour 1 ounce of the batter into the waffle cone iron and cook for 1 to 2 minutes or until lightly browned all over.
- Immediately remove once finished cooking and fold them over to form a taco.
- Next, spoon in the ice cream to form to the inside of each shell until they are filled to the edges and place back in the freezer.
- In a large glass bowl add the chocolate chips and place in the microwave for 1 minute and then stir. Place it back in the microwave on :30 second bursts stirring in between each cooking period until the chocolate is melted.
- Brush the tops of the ice cream tacos with the melted chocolate to cover and place back in the freezer to completely freeze.
- Serve cold!