This delicious homemade blue cheese dressing is super easy to make and is the perfect accompaniment for salad or dippers like wings and veggies.
I always try to eat a nice big salad once a week, just to ensure I’m getting some greens in me. While I should be eating even more salads, you have to start somewhere. If you are a big salad fan, then definitely try using this blue cheese dressing on my Shaved Brussels Sprouts salad or Green Goddess.
Blue Cheese Dressing
Blue cheese dressing is a mayonnaise-based creamy dressing with crumbled blue cheese. Its origin is a bit unknown, but the earliest recording is in the Edgewater Beach Hotel Salad book in 1928, but it was called Roquefort dressing. Blue cheese is simply a type of Roquefort, which is the type and process of cheese that is made from ewe’s milk and matured in caves.
When making a this you can determine how smooth, how chunky, or even how much blue cheese flavor it has. It is a very strong flavored dressing because blue cheese is such a strong flavored ingredient.
What Kind of Blue Cheese Should I Use?
The higher quality blue cheese that you buy, the better the dressing will taste. Now that does not mean the dressing will be bad if you purchase a cheaper brand, but you will be able to taste a difference. Here are my favorite blue cheese brands:
- Point Reyes
How to Make it
Follow along with these simple ingredients for how to make this delicious blue cheese dressing from scratch:
Add the mayonnaise, sour cream, buttermilk, sugar, Worcestershire, salt, pepper, garlic, vinegar to a large bowl,
Whisk the ingredients until completely combined and smooth,
Add in the blue cheese crumbles and fold them into the dressing using a rubber spatula until combined.
Recipe Chef Notes + Tips
Make-Ahead: You can make this recipe up to 3 days ahead of time.
How to Store: Cover and keep in the refrigerator for up to 10 days.
You can sub out the garlic onion granules for fresh finely garlic
Sometimes a little hot sauce is added for a little zip into the recipe.
Feel free to add in more or less buttermilk to get it to the consistency you want.
More Dressing Recipes
Homemade Blue Cheese Dressing Recipe
- ¾ cup mayonnaise
- ¼ cup sour cream
- ¾ cup buttermilk
- 2 teaspoons distilled vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 ½ teaspoon garlic granules
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon cracked black pepper
- ½ cup good crumbled blue cheese
- In a large bowl whisk together the mayonnaise, sour cream, buttermilk, vinegar, Worcestershire, garlic, sugar, salt, and pepper until completely combined.
- Next, fold in the blue cheese gently until combined. Don’t over mix.
- Refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Make-Ahead: You can make this recipe up to 3 days ahead of time.
- How to Store: Cover and keep in the refrigerator for up to 10 days.
- You can sub out the garlic onion granules for fresh finely garlic
- Sometimes a little hot sauce is added for a little zip into the recipe.
- Feel free to add in more or less buttermilk to get it to the consistency you want.