Get 5 Secrets to Make Homemade Taste Food Better + New Recipes Weekly!
Published January 10, 2023. This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
This delicious salmon burger recipe is seasoned to perfection and served on a toasted bun with fresh arugula and an amazing creamy coleslaw. You will love the incredible combination of flavors in this.
If you also love salmon as much as I do, you must try my Honey-Garlic Salmon or Smoked Salmon Tea Sandwiches.
Salmon burgers are a simple recipe consisting of finely minced salmon with other finely minced ingredients that are then bound together using eggs and breadcrumbs. They are usually grilled or pan-fried and served on a bun with optional toppings. They are essentially Salmon Patties on a burger bun.
There are many ways to make this; it will likely be different depending on where you are and who is preparing it. It is meant to be a simple recipe but can be enhanced using additional ingredients like fresh herbs and seasonings. My recipe features a tasty jicama coleslaw to go on top. Watch the video to see how I make this in detail.
- Salmon – I always use wild-caught salmon in my recipes. This can be fresh or frozen and then thawed.
- Onion – A combination of yellow, white, or sweet onions and garlic makes for a great combination in the burger batter.
- Egg – Just 1 egg will help bind the burgers together.
- Lemon – A touch of lemon juice to help brighten up the recipe.
- Crackers – I like crushed buttery “Ritz” style crackers for flavor and salt.
- Mustard – A little Dijon will go a long way into flavoring everything.
- Buns – I like brioche buns, but any toasted buns will do.
- Greens – I usually put arugula on the bottom of the burger, but any greens such as red leaf, green leaf, or butter lettuce will work.
- Toppings – There is an assortment of toppings you can use for this salmon burger, but I made a delicious jicama coleslaw to go on top to complement the burger perfectly.
How to Make a Salmon Burger
Mix the cabbages, green onions, jicama, and bell peppers in a large bowl. Set them aside.
In a separate bowl, whisk together mayonnaise, mustards, vinegar, dill, sugar, salt, and pepper. Set it aside.
Place the butter crackers in a food processor and process them on high until they are like crumbs. Set them aside.
Add the salmon, onion, garlic, egg, lemon juice, capers, mustard, salt, and pepper to a food processor.
Blend on high speed until it becomes slightly chunky but smooth.
Once it is processed, transfer the mixture to a large bowl and fold in the cracker crumbs using a rubber spatula until they are mixed in.
Form the batter into 6 salmon patties and set aside.
Next, 3 to 4 tablespoons of oil to a hot griddle or sauté pan over medium-high heat. Add the salmon patties and cook for 5 to 6 minutes per side or until golden brown and cooked throughout. Keep Them warm.
Bring back the creamy dill dressing and vegetables, pour the dressing over the vegetable coleslaw, and gently mix until combined.
Adjust the seasonings with salt and pepper. There should be plenty of coleslaw left over to serve as a side alongside the main salmon burger recipe.
Place the salmon burger on the toasted bun with some arugula leaves in-between the bottom and salmon, and top off a salmon patty with the coleslaw.
Make-Ahead and Storage
Make-Ahead: These salmon burgers are meant to be eaten as soon as they are finished cooking.
How to Store: Keep the salmon and toppings separate and covered in the refrigerator for up to 4 days. The salmon burgers by themselves will freeze well covered for up to 3 months. Thaw in the refrigerator for 1 day before reheating and serving.
How to Reheat: Add the desired number of salmon burgers to a 13×9 casserole dish and cover it with foil or a lid. Bake in the oven at 350° for 8-12 minutes or until warm.
Chef Notes + Tips
- I prefer olive oil or healthier high-smoke point oil when frying these salmon burgers.
- You can also roll the butter crackers in a plastic zip bag using a rolling pin until finely crushed.
- If you do not have a food processor, the only option would be to mince everything with a chef’s knife finely.
- You can substitute daikon radish for jicama if it is not available.
More Salmon Recipes
Salmon Burger Recipe
For the Slaw:
- 1/2 cup of mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon of grainy mustard
- 1 tablespoon of dijon mustard
- 3 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon of chopped fresh dill
- ½ teaspoon of sugar
- 2 cups of sliced green cabbage
- 1 cup of sliced red cabbage
- 1/2 cup of sliced green onions
- 1 peeled and thinly sliced red bell pepper
- ½ peeled and thinly sliced green bell pepper
- 1 medium-sized peeled and thinly sliced jicama
- sea salt and fresh cracked pepper to taste
For the Salmon Burger:
- 40 finely crushed butter crackers
- 1 pound of skinless fresh wild caught salmon
- ¼ peeled sweet onion
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 egg
- juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1 tablespoon of capers
- 1 tablespoon of Dijon mustard
- sea salt and fresh cracked pepper to taste
- oil for sautéing
- 6 toasted buns
- 2 cups of arugula
- In a medium-size bowl whisk together mayonnaise, both mustards, vinegar, dill, sugar, salt, and pepper. Set it aside.
- In a large bowl mix together the cabbages, green onions, jicama, and bell peppers. Set them aside.
- In a separate bowl whisk together mayonnaise, both mustards, vinegar, dill, sugar, salt, and pepper. Set it aside.
- Place the butter crackers to a food processor and process on high until they are like crumbs. Set them aside.
- Add the salmon, onion, garlic, egg, lemon juice, capers, mustard, salt, and pepper to a food processor.
- Blend on high speed until it becomes slightly chunky but smooth.
- Once it is processed, transfer the mixture to a large bowl and fold in the cracker crumbs using a rubber spatula until they are mixed in.
- Form the batter into 6 salmon patties and set aside.
- Next, 3 to 4 tablespoons of oil to a hot griddle or sauté pan over medium-high heat.
- Add the salmon patties and cook for 5 to 6 minutes per side or until golden brown and cooked throughout. Keep Them warm.
- Bring back the creamy dill dressing and vegetables and pour the dressing over the vegetable coleslaw and gently mix until combined.
- Adjust the seasonings with salt and pepper. There should be plenty of coleslaw leftover to serve as a side alongside the main salmon burger recipe.
- Place the salmon burger on the toasted bun with some arugula leaves in-between the bottom and salmon and top off a salmon patty and with the coleslaw.
One of many recipes I have made the were so yummy.
Salmon croquettes have always been a favorite of mine but this recipe took it to a whole other level. Amazing !!!
Can you freeze the salmon burgers before cooking and/or after cooking? I have never had salmon before.
I’m going away with the girls next week and this is what I’m going to make and bring! Looks so yummy! Thank you !
Your recipes always make me feel like a kitchen rockstar – I love the dill dressing for a delicious, cool kick!
you are too kind thank you!
This would be a huge hit with my husband. I have to make this for him!
It is super good!
These salmon burgers look amazing! I love the addition of the crunchy slaw on top. Can’t wait to make.
Salmon has never looked better! Thanks for the delicious recipe!
Mmm I can’t wait to try these! Your videos are mesmerizing!
The slaw MAKES this burger. LOVE IT!