Get 5 Secrets to Make Homemade Taste Food Better + New Recipes Weekly!
Published May 26, 2021. This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
This delicious fluffy sweet homemade cornbread recipe comes together in under 30 minutes and will be the perfect side dish at your next bbq.
There is nothing like the taste and smell of homemade bread. I absolutely love making and baking it because it’s just so comforting. If you love to as well, then definitely check out my White Bread Loaf, Homemade Pretzels, or Thin Crust Pizza Dough.
Cornbread is a delicious corn meal-based bread that is most commonly served as a side dish. Depending on where you eat it or who makes it, cornbread may be sweet or savory. Classically it would have been made with all cornmeal and cooked in a cast-iron skillet, but has since evolved into more of a cake-like side dish.
How to Make Homemade Cornbread from Scratch
Follow these simple instructions for making this homemade cornbread from scratch.
Mix the eggs, butter, and buttermilk in a large bowl until completely combined.
Next, add in the dry ingredients and whisk or fold together until combined.
Transfer the batter to a well-seasoned 10” cast iron skillet or a 13×9 casserole dish sprayed with no-stick spray.
Bake in the oven at 400° for 25 minutes in a skillet or 20 minutes in a casserole dish.
Slice and serve it with butter.
Recipe Chef Notes + Tips
Make-Ahead: You can make this recipe up to 1 day ahead of time before serving.
How to Heat: If you like your cornbread warm you can place your desired amount wrapped in foil and baked at 325° for 3-5 minutes. You can also warm in the microwave.
How to Store: Cover and keep at room temperature for 4 days. Cover and keep in the refrigerator for 7 days. This will freeze well covered for up to 3 months.
The sugar in this recipe is optional.
You can use bread flour but if you do so, you will need to add an additional egg.
More Bread Recipes:
Easy Homemade Corn Bread Recipe
- 3 eggs
- 4 tablespoons melted unsalted butter
- 1 ½ cups full fat buttermilk
- 1 ½ cups yellow cornmeal
- ¾ cup sugar
- 1 ½ cup all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 2 tablespoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Preheat the oven to 400°.
- Next, whisk together the eggs, butter, and buttermilk in a large bowl until combined.
- Add the cornmeal, sugar, flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt and whisk or fold together until completely combined.
- Transfer the batter to a well-seasoned 10” cast iron skillet or a 13x9 casserole dish sprayed with no-stick spray.
- Bake at 400° for 25-28 minutes in the skillet or 20-22 minutes in the casserole dish. It will be browned on top and just about firm in the center.
- Serve warm or cool with butter.