Here’s everything you know and love about a Cuban Sandwich slow cooked and topped off in these delicious nachos!
Leave the pork roast at home and spice up some nachos with carnitas!
Now this is how you do gameday!
Instead of ham I went all prosciutto and WOW what a difference!
You can use bread and butter, kosher dill pickles or a combination of both! Big pic below for pinning!
Cuban Carnitas Nachos Recipe
For the Carnitas:
- 3 pound whole pork shoulder
- 28 ounce can of Hunt’s® Whole Plum Tomatoes undrained
- 2 chopped chipotles in adobo sauce
- 1 ½ tablespoons of cumin
- 1 tablespoons of oregano
- 1 roughly chopped yellow onion
- 3 cloves of roughly chopped garlic
- Kosher salt and fresh cracked pepper to taste
For the Toppings:
- 1 cup of sour cream
- 1/3 cup of Gulden’s® Spicy Brown Mustard
- 2 10- ounce bags of tortilla chips
- 2 cups of shredded Swiss cheese
- 1 cup of chopped or thinly sliced prosciutto ham
- 1 cup of roughly chopped bread and butter or Kosher dill pickles or a combination of both
- Carnitas: Add all of the ingredients, except the pork to a slow cooker and stir to combine the seasonings and spices. Place in the pork shoulder and turn once to coat.
- Cook on high for 5 hours or low for 8 hours. Once it’s done cooking shred the pork using two forks.
- Sour Cream Mustard: In a small bowl whisk together the sour cream and Gulden’s® Mustard until combined. Season with salt and pepper and keep cool.
- To Assemble: Preheat the broiler to low.
- Place the chips on a cookie sheet pan lined with parchment paper and sprinkle the Swiss cheese all over it. Cook under the broiler for 4 to 6 minutes or until the cheese is melted and begins to turn slightly brown.
- Finish the nachos by evenly spreading on the carnitas slow cooked pork, prosciutto ham and pickles, and top off with the sour cream mustard.